Phil Steele: Returning Starters 2017

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There's a statistical study done...I've posted it here. Feel free to search for it but it flat out shows a direct relationship between more talented teams having a higher winning % vs less talented teams.

You're wrong

Wrong? So you think 51% vs 49% is really earth shattering? No one is debating that having more talented players is better but some people seem to think that's all that matters....... Law specifically said it doesn't matter how many players return if they are not highly rated players (3 star he said)..... I think he's wrong and you can think anything you chose to... doesn't change a darn thing on the field or stands.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Wrong? So you think 51% vs 49% is really earth shattering? No one is debating that having more talented players is better but some people seem to think that's all that matters....... Law specifically said it doesn't matter how many players return if they are not highly rated players (3 star he said)..... I think he's wrong and you can think anything you chose to... doesn't change a darn thing on the field or stands.

Dude...we'll all cheer our hearts out. The FACT is that over time...more talented teams have a higher winning % over less talented teams regardless of coaching. There's a huge article on it. No matter how hard you cheer it doesn't change FACTS. You willing to wager some $$$ on this? You'll lose and you are completely wrong.

deuce

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Lol. Lines are exactly how Vegas keeps people from just picking more talented team.

Look, I realize you relish rooting for the Bad News Bears and hoping to just see the underdogs eke out one win over a ranked team per year. We get it. Here's your medal for being more a fan than the rest of us.

Thanks for the complement but I don't consider myself a real fanatic. I can't stand to watch bad football so I usually don't even watch the games. I watch re-runs and highlights and that's bad enough. As far as rooting for the Bad News Bears, I don't even know who they are... I root for The Florida Gators! Been a Gator since the 3rd Grade and will be until the day I die. Being a Gator is an important part of my life but I don't feel the need to repeat "we suck" everytime the opportunity arises just to make a point that has already been made 1000's of times.
You seem to have a need to point out others flaws and short-comings or lack of understanding. I think that says more about you than you realize. Maybe talking down to other people is the way you communicate in your real life, if so, I'm sorry. Have a good night.

deuce

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Dude...we'll all cheer our hearts out. The FACT is that over time...more talented teams have a higher winning % over less talented teams regardless of coaching. There's a huge article on it. No matter how hard you cheer it doesn't change FACTS. You willing to wager some $$$ on this? You'll lose and you are completely wrong.

Dude, read what I said... I agreed with you but you're too egotistical to even see it.

Go kick your dog!

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Just another excuse.....
What do you mean? My comments were primarily directed toward the Georgia Southern game. I thought Chump did a terrible job of coaching. There's no way the Gators should have lost to a second-level team that never threw a pass - in the Swamp! You call that an excuse on my part?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for the complement but I don't consider myself a real fanatic. I can't stand to watch bad football so I usually don't even watch the games. I watch re-runs and highlights and that's bad enough. As far as rooting for the Bad News Bears, I don't even know who they are... I root for The Florida Gators! Been a Gator since the 3rd Grade and will be until the day I die. Being a Gator is an important part of my life but I don't feel the need to repeat "we suck" everytime the opportunity arises just to make a point that has already been made 1000's of times.
You seem to have a need to point out others flaws and short-comings or lack of understanding. I think that says more about you than you realize. Maybe talking down to other people is the way you communicate in your real life, if so, I'm sorry. Have a good night.

1976:

2005:

While both were very enjoyable. The original will always have a special place in my heart. There's a reason it's a double Academy Award winner.

deuce

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What do you mean? My comments were primarily directed toward the Georgia Southern game. I thought Chump did a terrible job of coaching. There's no way the Gators should have lost to a second-level team that never threw a pass - in the Swamp! You call that an excuse on my part?

Well, I guess it qualifies as a reason which might be construed as an excuse.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
This is a stupid metric. Syracuse and Kintucky near the top. They mention that both Clemson and Bammer scored low last year.

It doesnt matter if your starters are returning if your starters suck.
Talent plays a bigger role when your roster is comprised of quality across the board. Hell some 2nd and 3rd year non starters at Bama, Clemson and FSU go against guys at practice that are better than anything they'll see once they become starters. Also the fact that the teams I listed actually blow out some of their opponents allows their 2's and 3's to get more game reps as non starters helps too...

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Sorry but the only rule in college football about "Talent wins out" is that there is no such rule.
That makes little or no sense whatsoever.....The most talented teams have always won the most....
70's OU, USC, Mich. & OSU.....
80'S OU, Miami, Nebraska
90's Miami, Nebraska, FSU &UF...
2000'S USC & UF
2010-now Bama
If you don't believe those were the most talented teams in those time frames then check how many players were drafted from each of them in those time periods...Talent breeds championships.

deuce

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That makes little or no sense whatsoever.....The most talented teams have always won the most....
70's OU, USC, Mich. & OSU.....
80'S OU, Miami, Nebraska
90's Miami, Nebraska, FSU &UF...
2000'S USC & UF
2010-now Bama
If you don't believe those were the most talented teams in those time frames then check how many players were drafted from each of them in those time periods...Talent breeds championships.

Never said they didn't...... :banghead:

Said if the only variable was talent it would be real easy to pick winners...... Great teams are not always made up of the most 5 stars. Alabama was the more Talented team, based on High School Stars, but Clemson won the Championship.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
There is no excuse for O-Line to not be above average/good this year.

If they are truly an average SEC line and the 7th best in the SEC that should be a big improvement. It was crazy we couldn't run the ball better than we did last season especially against the early cupcake teams.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We've got a lot of work to get done to beat Meatchicken but it doesn't hurt with them at 129 out of 129, the bottom with returning starters. Mac better take advantage.

They are losing a bunch but he has brought in a lot of talent. A few places like DT they have more experince returning than some think its just they weren't the actual starter last year but played a lot. Good to catch them early before they get experienced and before our lack of quality depth at DT shows when injuries kick in.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Never said they didn't...... :banghead:

Said if the only variable was talent it would be real easy to pick winners...... Great teams are not always made up of the most 5 stars. Alabama was the more Talented team, based on High School Stars, but Clemson won the Championship.
Ok since were talking exceptions rather than rules what about Meyer in 2010? Great coach but when the 2009 talent left he went 8-5 and got clobbered by every decent team we played....kinda like now, huh?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ok since were talking exceptions rather than rules what about Meyer in 2010? Great coach but when the 2009 talent left he went 8-5 and got clobbered by every decent team we played....kinda like now, huh?

Meyer isn't the great football mind, but is a great CEO. You notice once all the really good assistants he had at a number of positions went else where, so did the consistency and wins. Then he builds another really good staff at tOSU. He learned from his mistakes here, by replacing as he is losing.

deuce

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I think we are talking in circles....... exception/rules ..... rules/exceptions?

Even computers can't get it right.

Having more talent is better then less but some Coaches get more out of less than others. Then you have conditions, emotions, intelligence and most of all.... uniform style and color!

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
And despite this, I thought someone had posted an early line on the game a little while back that had Michigan like a 7 point favorite. Evidently vegas don't put too much stock into all our returning starters.

Maybe it's our returning coaches they take exception to...:dunno:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.