Pineiro drills 81 yarder

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
7 yards behind LOS is pretty standard. Though not a hard fast rule, placing ball closer to LOS increases liklihood of block and further away increases distance and decreases accuracy unnecessarily.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Mac can't recruit. Nuss needs to be fired. Why does Nord exist?

You all know that's where this thread is headed. I'm just getting their first. :lol:

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
LOS is your own 36, ball is snapped back and set down at the 29.

Now we all know that kick likely gets blocked in a real game, but still. That's freaking amazing.

Alex.

I agree with your math entirely. With respect to blocking the kick, it seems like Eddie P. kicks all of his attempts the same way whether short or long attempts. I believe his leg strength and foot speed at contact permit him to achieve excellent ball elevation on even his long kicks. 81 yards? We'll prolly never know.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yes and no. Yes if you are referring to the LOS and point of snap. No if you refer to the point of kick, 7 yards behind the LOS. The official game stat measures from the LOS.

Actually, punts are measured from the LOS, but place kicks are measured from where the ball is placed.

You're right Alex, the LOS would have been the 36 in this case, but an 81 yarder would be measured (and kicked) from the 29. That's just insane.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Actually, punts are measured from the LOS, but place kicks are measured from where the ball is placed.

You're right Alex, the LOS would have been the 36 in this case, but an 81 yarder would be measured (and kicked) from the 29. That's just insane.

Thanx for the correction. The next question is why the difference? I suppose cuz punts can be kicked on the move whereas placekicks are made from a place certain?

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Does the ball have to be set 7 yards behind the LOS?

Standard is 7 yards in college and 8 in the pros.

So if the LOS is the 20, it's a 37 yard FG in college and a 38 yard FG in the NFL.

Alex.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
The only good thing that has come from Mac being hired, a kicker with a monster leg! One of my favorite players on the team.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I hope Eddy has a hefty insurance policy on that leg.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This video is nice and I'm glad to see Eddy having fun and showing off his leg.

1. How many did he try before he made one? This might have been 1 of 10 and I certainly wouldn't want Mac trying that in a game with a 10% chance unless it was on the last play.

2. Mac did try a number of kicks above 50 during the year, but again we don't know how much Eddy's accuracy dips as the distance goes up. I'm pretty sure they track this in practice and Mac knows how accurate Eddy is from these distances.

3. As far as moving the ball back beyond 7 yards... you also need to adjust your protection as it changes the angles off the edges and how quickly a player can get into position to block it as well as how long it takes the ball to get to the holder and obviously how accurate the snap needs to be.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Standard is 7 yards in college and 8 in the pros.

So if the LOS is the 20, it's a 37 yard FG in college and a 38 yard FG in the NFL.

Alex.

Alex, where did you see an NFL FG is 8 yards. The only reference I've seen is when Janakowski told his holder to go back 8 yards to break a FG distance record.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty impressive and right there with the best long kickers. The 80 yard area seems to be the distance limit they can make it with non-game conditions. Maybe somebody has made one a little longer at elevation possibly.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This video is nice and I'm glad to see Eddy having fun and showing off his leg.

1. How many did he try before he made one? This might have been 1 of 10 and I certainly wouldn't want Mac trying that in a game with a 10% chance unless it was on the last play.

2. Mac did try a number of kicks above 50 during the year, but again we don't know how much Eddy's accuracy dips as the distance goes up. I'm pretty sure they track this in practice and Mac knows how accurate Eddy is from these distances.

3. As far as moving the ball back beyond 7 yards... you also need to adjust your protection as it changes the angles off the edges and how quickly a player can get into position to block it as well as how long it takes the ball to get to the holder and obviously how accurate the snap needs to be.
You think it's possible you may be overthinking this? Mac isn't going to be letting Eddy attempt any 81 yard FG's anytime soon. And I'm pretty sure that every kicker who ever lived has their accuracy dip as the distance goes up.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Alex, where did you see an NFL FG is 8 yards. The only reference I've seen is when Janakowski told his holder to go back 8 yards to break a FG distance record.

First, Fvvck Janikowski.

It's just a rule of thumb. Kickers each have their own preferences. To be accurate, you look at where the holder is set and add 10 yards. In college, the holder is typically 7 yards behind the LOS. In the pros, you often see it 8 yards behind the LOS. Not sure why, maybe because the NFL guys have better distance and the edge rushers are all fast? I don't have a source for you beyond my own two eyes and two ears. Next time you watch an NFL game, look for it. I started noticing it a few years ago.

Also, even adding 10 yards to the set point isn't entirely accurate. Shortest distance between any two points is a straight line, right? If the ball is smack dab in the middle of the field, adding 10 yards is accurate. If its on a hash mark, you need to dust off the old Pythagorean Theorem. Regardless, the "official" distance is as if the ball was in the center of the field.

Alex.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
First, Fvvck Janikowski.

It's just a rule of thumb. Kickers each have their own preferences. To be accurate, you look at where the holder is set and add 10 yards. In college, the holder is typically 7 yards behind the LOS. In the pros, you often see it 8 yards behind the LOS. Not sure why, maybe because the NFL guys have better distance and the edge rushers are all fast? I don't have a source for you beyond my own two eyes and two ears. Next time you watch an NFL game, look for it. I started noticing it a few years ago.

Also, even adding 10 yards to the set point isn't entirely accurate. Shortest distance between any two points is a straight line, right? If the ball is smack dab in the middle of the field, adding 10 yards is accurate. If its on a hash mark, you need to dust off the old Pythagorean Theorem. Regardless, the "official" distance is as if the ball was in the center of the field.

Alex.
so I decided to look up some images and gifs and videos on this, and virtually every single one appears to be 8 yards back for the NFL kickers.
I wonder if that's the rule there, or if that is just a move they do.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
so I decided to look up some images and gifs and videos on this, and virtually every single one appears to be 8 yards back for the NFL kickers.
I wonder if that's the rule there, or if that is just a move they do.

the NFL rule is it has to be behind the line of scrimmage... No yard marker set according to the 2016 version of the rule book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb