Pineiro drills 81 yarder

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
First, Fvvck Janikowski.

It's just a rule of thumb. Kickers each have their own preferences. To be accurate, you look at where the holder is set and add 10 yards. In college, the holder is typically 7 yards behind the LOS. In the pros, you often see it 8 yards behind the LOS. Not sure why, maybe because the NFL guys have better distance and the edge rushers are all fast? I don't have a source for you beyond my own two eyes and two ears. Next time you watch an NFL game, look for it. I started noticing it a few years ago.

Since I had a little time, I went to the 2016 rule book on the NFL site. No yardage is given, it just has to be behind the line of scrimmage. So it might just be a preference thing. I'll have to check it out on a more regular basis during the season, the TV crews mention the 7 + 10 usually. But will have to take a better look.

Also, even adding 10 yards to the set point isn't entirely accurate. Shortest distance between any two points is a straight line, right? If the ball is smack dab in the middle of the field, adding 10 yards is accurate. If its on a hash mark, you need to dust off the old Pythagorean Theorem. Regardless, the "official" distance is as if the ball was in the center of the field.

I know that, but the NFL isn't going to take that into account. So not really part of the conversation.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Should the offense show no significant improvement, the entire offfensive gameplan for 2017 should be:

1) Hope for touchback(25 yd line)
2) Get creative in forcing an Offsides penalty(30 yd line)
3) Send in EP for automatic 3 points.

*If the kickoff go out of bounds, we have Toney launch one to the end zone. If it fails, proceed directly to step 3.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Correct me if I'm wrong...in a game that would be hitting it from your own 36??? Is that right?

Alex.

Correct as far as the LOS being your own 36 yard line. 14 yards to mid field + 50 yards to end zone + 17 yards to account for goal posts at back of EZ and being 7 yards behind the LOS = 81 yards.

Last edited:

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Since I had a little time, I went to the 2016 rule book on the NFL site. No yardage is given, it just has to be behind the line of scrimmage. So it might just be a preference thing. I'll have to check it out on a more regular basis during the season, the TV crews mention the 7 + 10 usually. But will have to take a better look.

I know that, but the NFL isn't going to take that into account. So not really part of the conversation.

Here is the longest FG in NFL history, a 64 yarder by Matt Prater. Watch for the LOS at the beginning, around the 5 second mark. There is a black line for the LOS, a yellow first down line, and a red line that might be the estimated FG range. The LOS is on the +46. Add 10 for the endzone and 8 for the set down and you get 64.

I swear I'm not making this up.

Alex.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Here is the longest FG in NFL history, a 64 yarder by Matt Prater. Watch for the LOS at the beginning, around the 5 second mark. There is a black line for the LOS, a yellow first down line, and a red line that might be the estimated FG range. The LOS is on the +46. Add 10 for the endzone and 8 for the set down and you get 64.

I swear I'm not making this up.

Alex.

I don't think you are Alex. I read you first statement as that it was by NFL rule it was 8 yards back. I don't know if it is preference or just maybe an NFL way of doing things. I'm not questioning as much as intrigued to what the difference and reason really is.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
I see Mac permitting Eddy to kick a 60+ yard field goal in one situation and one only...the final play of the game with the Gators trailing by 3 points or less.To do otherwise risks:
  1. Horrible field position if Eddie misses,
  2. Defending a kick return with a blocking unit if the kick lands in the field of play ala Auburn/Bama.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I see Mac permitting Eddy to kick a 60+ yard field goal in one situation and one only...the final play of the game with the Gators trailing by 3 points or less.To do otherwise risks:
  1. Horrible field position if Eddie misses,
  2. Defending a kick return with a blocking unit if the kick lands in the field of play ala Auburn/Bama.

How about if we're up by 20+ against a cupcake and there's less than 2 mins to go?

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Later in practice Callaway one upped Eddy returning a punt 108 yards for a score.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
How about if we're up by 20+ against a cupcake and there's less than 2 mins to go?

I don't see Mac pulling the trigger. Like all fans, I'd love to see it but Mac thinks, "What if Eddy pulls a muscle and he's out indefinitely?" Not worth the risk.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
so I decided to look up some images and gifs and videos on this, and virtually every single one appears to be 8 yards back for the NFL kickers.
I wonder if that's the rule there, or if that is just a move they do.

Most NFL games I watched 17 yards was added to the distance from the LOS to the goal line for FGs. Is it just some long ones they back up a bit more for the 18 yards?

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Most NFL games I watched 17 yards was added to the distance from the LOS to the goal line for FGs. Is it just some long ones they back up a bit more for the 18 yards?
Not saying they don't kick from 7 yards back, just that everything I could find, the handler set the ball down 8 yards from the line of scrimmage.
And according to Douglas' research, there may not be a required distance.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There is no required distance. They measure from where the ball is kicked. They could snap it 10 yards back if they wanted.

What I have been thinking watching him kick these long kicks in practice is the ability to use the "free kick" rule, which you almost never see. If a team makes a fair catch of the other team's kick, they can attempt a free kick from that spot and if you make it you get 3 points. Imagine the other team punts the ball with only a few seconds left on the clock before half or the end of the game. Eddy could go out a boot one through the uprights and they can't even rush him. I believe they can line up 10 yards downfield.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
There is no required distance. They measure from where the ball is kicked. They could snap it 10 yards back if they wanted.

What I have been thinking watching him kick these long kicks in practice is the ability to use the "free kick" rule, which you almost never see. If a team makes a fair catch of the other team's kick, they can attempt a free kick from that spot and if you make it you get 3 points. Imagine the other team punts the ball with only a few seconds left on the clock before half or the end of the game. Eddy could go out a boot one through the uprights and they can't even rush him. I believe they can line up 10 yards downfield.

Only in the NFL, not in college.

Alex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator