g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
The same stuff he's been railing about for *checks watch* about 50 years now. Anyone going to a Roger Waters or Pink Floyd-related show should know that there's going to be a strong political message. They've always been that way and always will be. Maybe the butthurt parties were feeling a little guilty about what they caused?

I saw them twice. Once in bama and once in DC. Neither show had political commentary. They weren't always like that, Watters is/was.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I saw them twice. Once in bama and once in DC. Neither show had political commentary. They weren't always like that, Watters is/was.
They sang the songs, right? Then it was political in nature, videos or not.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
They sang the songs, right? Then it was political in nature, videos or not.

Wrong.

The songs are the songs. Big difference in political songs about general themes versus a singer spouting off about current politics. There were not comments about a president or a political party when I saw them; unlike Waters concerts. Pink Floyd does not do that. Roger Waters does.

I get that your a lefty and want reaffirmation from a band. Not sure why, but I see it often on the left. Those looking to "stars" to backup lefty beliefs. I see your joy that some Trump voters didn't like Water crying about politics. That is on him, not the band. He has not been in the band in decades. They continued to make great music without him.

Gilmore is smarter than that. Roger Waters is not.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Wrong.

The songs are the songs. Big difference in political songs about general themes versus a singer spouting off about current politics. There were not comments about a president or a political party when I saw them; unlike Waters concerts. Pink Floyd does not do that. Roger Waters does.

I get that your a lefty and want reaffirmation from a band. Not sure why, but I see it often on the left. Those looking to "stars" to backup lefty beliefs. I see your joy that some Trump voters didn't like Water crying about politics. That is on him, not the band. He has not been in the band in decades. They continued to make great music without him.

Gilmore is smarter than that. Roger Waters is not.
Watch the Pulse concert film. There’s political video played during parts of The Dark Side of the Moon. Roger Waters had been out of the band for over a decade at that point.

And if you saw them at ANY point with Waters, the message was political. Once again, I’m not going to do the leg work for anyone as far as explaining the lyrical and philosophical messages in Pink Floyd songs. I learned it myself, you can, too.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Wrong.

Watch the Pulse concert film. There’s political video played during parts of The Dark Side of the Moon. Roger Waters had been out of the band for over a decade at that point.

And if you saw them at ANY point with Waters, the message was political. Once again, I’m not going to do the leg work for anyone as far as explaining the lyrical and philosophical messages in Pink Floyd songs. I learned it myself, you can, too.

Once again?!?

I don't need you to teach me. I learned it myself. Maybe we have a different take on it. Looks like you see it as an affirmation of your beliefs. You'd be looking to Waters for that. While Gilmore is an admitted lefty, he has also admitted he is not very political. Waters is overtly political, Gilmore is not. Waters wanted to preach. Gilmore wanted to play and perform.

I have not seen the Pulse concert yet. What were the videos showing specifically? Was Gilmore or any other member making political statements? I'll try to watch it this weekend and report back.

Waters has been out of the band over 40 years. They were super political then, like Waters is now and has always been That was then, forty years ago. When he left, that stopped. What were the current political messages from the Division Bell or A Momentary Lapse of Reason?

I have never seen anything from them since he left that would be about current politics. Do you have anything more than 1 concert to back up your claim?

Last edited:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Once again?!?

I don't need you to teach me. I learned it myself. Maybe we have a different take on it. Looks like you see it as an affirmation of your beliefs. You'd be looking to Waters for that. While Gilmore is an admitted lefty, he has also admitted he is not very political. Waters is overtly political, Gilmore is not. Waters wanted to preach. Gilmore wanted to play and perform.

I have not seen the Pulse concert yet. What were the videos showing specifically? Was Gilmore or any other member making political statements? I'll try to watch it this weekend and report back.

Waters has been out of the band over 40 years. They were super political then, like Waters is now and has always been That was then, forty years ago. When he left, that stopped. What were the current political messages from the Division Bell or A Momentary Lapse of Reason?

I have never seen anything from them since he left that would be about current politics. Do you have anything more than 1 concert to back up your claim?
Well the Pulse show was the entire Division Bell tour, but other than that, no. Spectacular DVD though. Best concert lighting package maybe ever.

And you’re making my point for me. Who was the sole lyricist of the band from Dark Side thorough Final Cut? Waters. With the exception of Wish You Were Here, every single one of those albums was anywhere from moderately to heavily political. Wish You Were Here was a combination goodbye to Syd Barrett and middle finger to the music industry. As you already pointed out, they only recorded two albums with Gilmour as the main lyricist after Waters left(with help from his wife). I don’t count The Endless River since it was a postmortem compilation of unused material after Rick Wright died.

So, ONCE AGAIN, if anyone has paid ANY amount of attention to the music and lyrics Roger Waters wrote in the height of Pink Floyd’s popularity, it’s always been a HEAVY dose of politics, anti-fascism, anti-war, and anti-capitalism. It shouldn’t have been any surprise at all to go to one of his shows on this tour and see a heavy political message, especially considering the politically charged times we’re in.

And FTR, Waters left the band after Final Cut, which came out in ‘83. He didn’t officially announce the band was finished as he saw it until after he released Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking the next year. So it’s been just over 30 years, and the band only really carried on for 10 more years without him. After that it’s been all solo work. But I won’t hold that against you, could have been a typo.

Last edited:

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
The politics in the songs are cliche. Tired old themes about anti capitalism, anti establishment, anti war blah blah blah. The usual lefty arguments. They are almost benign. Go to a PF show without Watter's and you get an awesome musical performance. In between songs, not a lot of banter.

By the way - Watters sure has benefited form capitalism. :tongue:

Contrast that to a Watter's show. Overt politics. Hate against the current foes (Bush then, Trump now). Anti Israel. Pro Putin. Blah blah blah. Watter's shows are over the top with politics. He does not like the world and wants to be sure everyone knows that. PF shows since he left are not like that at all. Maybe they were when he was still in the band, decades ago. If so, it stopped when he left.

You yourself professed glee that Trump supports didn't like what Watter's was saying. That did not happen on the last 2 bog PF tours, because Watter's wasn't there.

You like the politics. You liked that Trump supports didn't.

Gimore just wanted to play music. I never heard Gilmore make any political statement during a performance.

Watter's likes to preach. Big difference between the two men and how their shows are performed; Watter alone and Gilmore with PF.

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
The year was 1985, or was it 86', cant really remember. The setting was the old Tangerine Bowl in Orlando. I was a strapping 20 year old, who had a friend, who's mother was dating the guy who was head of security for events at the stadium.
My good friend calls me to see if I'm interested in working a concert on Sat. night. He says " you'll get paid $35.00 for your time, and get to see the show for free. I say I'm in.
Early that Sat. morning me and 5 of my good friends load a keg of Budweiser in the back of one of the parents 4Runner and head to the stadium.
Upon arriving we notice that we are late to the party. The parking lot was full. Its around 11:00 in the morning and the show dosent start until 7:00. We imediately start hammering on the keg.
At or around 5 we go meet the Head of security to brief with him on our responsibilities during the show. We are each given those yellow shirts that have *Event Staff* on the back and we have been assigned gate duty.
Our job, while completey hammered ourselves was to inspect every purse, jacket, bag, anything that was being carried into the event for contraband.
When the gates opened we went through the checks, never once mind you confiscating anything, but hitting on every hit chick that came thru the gates. I have never been to an event that had a wider range of peole than this show. White, Red, Black, Yellow, young and old. They were all there.
After the show started and the gates were cleared we were summoned to meet up at on of the gates. I had no idea where we were going or what we were going to be asked to do.
After meeting up we were taken down to the front of the stage to keep people from rushing the stage. I spebt the next 1.5 hours listening to Pink Floyd play from 10 feet away.
Not one time did the members of the band get political. No one. Different times I suppose.
Anyhow this is the only time I have seen them live.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Great stories, really. Unfortunately, Roger Waters’ tour was a Roger Waters tour, not a Pink Floyd tour. Anyone who has paid even a shred of attention to any of the majority of the lyrics that Waters has written should know he’s heavily political. Anyone going to a Waters concert in 2017 being surprised by how political it was should be lobotomized. Who knew it wasn’t just get high music? :rolleyes3:

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
I am glad we argree the two live performances greatly differ wrt politics.

Which is why I have seen PF live twice and Watters not once.

I have heard the music does go surprisingly well with pot. :headbang: :swampqueen:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
This guy filmed himself listening to Dark Side of the Moon for the first time. Seeing his genuine reactions is a lot of fun. :lol:

(first video has a playlist through Us and Them, second video is Any Colour You Like)

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
This guy filmed himself listening to Dark Side of the Moon for the first time. Seeing his genuine reactions is a lot of fun. :lol:

(first video has a playlist through Us and Them, second video is Any Colour You Like)

Hahaha... "That music sounds like sex... like an 'eargasm'" ... great stuff

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

He keeps complimenting the producer - guess he needs to get introduced to Alan Parsons

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
He keeps complimenting the producer - guess he needs to get introduced to Alan Parsons
He's definitely not wrong, it's one of the most perfectly produced albums in history. I love how he picks up on so many little things like the sounds and voices in the background. It's not an album you can truly, fully appreciate after only one listen, because there's SO much going on, but I love how much he notices the first time through. I'd love to see what he thinks after diving into all the lyrical themes, his head might explode. :lol:

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
He's definitely not wrong, it's one of the most perfectly produced albums in history. I love how he picks up on so many little things like the sounds and voices in the background. It's not an album you can truly, fully appreciate after only one listen, because there's SO much going on, but I love how much he notices the first time through. I'd love to see what he thinks after diving into all the lyrical themes, his head might explode. :lol:

I was starting to wonder if he listened to Great Gig in the Sky (Clare Torry).
Yep - and he has to back it up a little too.
This is great

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I was starting to wonder if he listened to Great Gig in the Sky (Clare Torry).
Yep - and he has to back it up a little too.
This is great

Yeah the first video I posted is a playlist of every song on the album through Us and Them, so you can just scroll through them (or let them play automatically).

The part in Great Gig where there's the two snare hits and Clare Torry starts singing is the best moment on that album. I would have been disappointed if he didn't replay it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator