Plan to Win...

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Alright, I'm through mourning the lost opportunity this past Saturday (I'm also sober again) and ready to discuss what we need to do to win from here on out. Let's try to avoid the fire and bench autonomic responses and keep it to the X's and O's of what we can reasonably expect to put out on the field. Here's what I think:

*Offensively, I think we have been mediocre beginning games and stronger finishing with the one-back zone approach. Matt Jones is the guy that makes this good, but we seem to struggle with any of the other backs. When healthy, Jones gets heavy later in games, which increases his effectiveness. Of course, you really need to have a lead fo maximize this package. If we are forced to use the other backs predominantly, I believe we need to have a FB (Joyer seems to be the forgotten man) or some heavy package or mix in some misdirection (counter, etc.). The prohibitive on the counter is the lack of lateral mobility of many of our OL. To wit, Trenton Brown got beat to the POA by the back on a counter last game, so those plays must be carefully planned from a personnel standpoint. I think we can run it better than we have, but it will take more than simply substituting the backs.

Obviously our passing attack does not strike fear into anyone consistently. We can get a little better, but there should be no expectation of us suddenly beginning to throw for 400 per game, even if we have a change at QB (though certainly I'm for giving the next guy a shot if he can simply cut down on turnovers). As such, we can expect to see a loaded box with minimal coverage frequently in passing situations (one high man or man with no Safety as we saw a couple of times from LSU). Our receiver play dictates this as much or more than that of the QB. Thus, it is imperative that the proper pre-snap read is made and an appropriate check (that is available) be made. For example, if we read a load with an edge blitz, most times we are in a four receiver, one back set and one call or check would be a vertical route for #1 (to the field) and a dig or slant by #2 or #3 (if trips) into the ILBs with the back flaring. Simply trying to account for everyone in the box and hoping a receiver shakes free has not been good to us enough. I'm also a fan of play action, but this often is not a big part of a spread scheme. However, a waggle off of the zone or stretch could be good to us.

*Defensively, we seem to rely on speed and quickness among the front six or seven as opposed to superior strength. Until that balances (next year maybe), we may need to try and confuse the blocking schemes as much as possible without becoming too unsound (well-timed stems, loops, and twists from the DL along with blitzes that are specifically game-planned). Our pass defense will get much better when we can consistently pressure the passer. Most of our LBs are not great tackling in space, so it should make sense to try and get them downhill as much as the game plan will allow.

Our secondary presents the greatest challenge IMO, specifically from a personnel standpoint. When Hargreaves is in, one third of the field is effectively eliminated. When he's out, there are weak links to be exposed. Poor Brian Poole, whether he wants to talk about it or not, is a prime example. We can blame his blow (and those in the KY and Bama games) on the coaches, but our schemes are not that complex (a lot of one and two high man with some combos occasionally mixed in). Players have to make plays and if they are having trouble doing so and/or the next guy can't do it, we have to help them by generating a pass rush, unconventionally if need be. I hope Tabor becomes the regular he looks poised to become.

*Special Teams need to be consistent. So far, coverage teams have been pretty decent, but it is imperative that we keep the field as long as we can for our opposition. If our KOs are going to be fielded consistently inside the ten and no deeper than five into the end zone, we have to continue to maintain lane integrity and get-offs to keep all returns inside the twenty-five. Punting is better from our side of the fifty, as hang time and distance usually result in a fair catch. Where we have to get better IMO are the punts from midfield to opposition's territory. A punt from their thirty-five to forty isn't a bad thing (especially if your offense is anemic) if you can consistently down it inside the ten, which I believe we have not done. Of course we like everybody else rely on coverage and some manner of end over end punt. Whatever happened to the "coffin corner?!"

Returns are good for the most part, but Debose needs to fight the urge on kicks he receives toward the back of the end zone. The twenty-five is imminently better than the occasional one we spring combined with starting at the ten too often.

FGs have to be consistent for us, as I'm forecasting quite a few attempts from here on out. I'm hoping Hardin can maintain any confidence generated from the one he made against UT when we need a long one and that Velez can be automatic on all others. These guys will be more important than we think.

*Intangibles, to me, would be to have some reliable receivers emerge before the season's end and improved play from the QB position. We lack game changers, so minimizing mistakes might be the most important thing we can do moving forward. This requires better from both coaches and players than I think we've had thus far.

I know this is probably longer than most might want to read and is rather simplistic, but unlike some I don't think we need to trade the bicycle for a Harley Davidson. We just need to quit sticking our foot in the spokes and keep our britches leg out of the chain! Please add if you will.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Good write-up. I think of our WRs can catch the ball and we can get some early easy passes for our QB we could start to stretch the D out and make them back off the box. Having Matt Jones healthy is huge. For the Mizzou game they are going to try and run the ball because UGA was so successful. Hopefully that works

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
We should not throw a pass in the field of play. Maybe one attempt per Qtr thrown directly into the first row. Just so they think we might throw the ball.
Run, run, run, punt. Hope that Debose or the defense can win the game.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n80479 said:
Good write-up. I think of our WRs can catch the ball and we can get some early easy passes for our QB we could start to stretch the D out and make them back off the box. Having Matt Jones healthy is huge. For the Mizzou game they are going to try and run the ball because UGA was so successful. Hopefully that works

I sure hope we can. I was absolutely amazed...and horrified by our inability to run against LSU. Especially after hearing all week about how bad their run defense was and how weak their interior was. I suppose that was a byproduct of such a terrible passing attack. When they had absolutely nothing to fear from us passing the ball they could totally sell out for the run D.

Good write up, Cover.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Alagator;n80522 said:
I sure hope we can. I was absolutely amazed...and horrified by our inability to run against LSU. Especially after hearing all week about how bad their run defense was and how weak their interior was. I suppose that was a byproduct of such a terrible passing attack. When they had absolutely nothing to fear from us passing the ball they could totally sell out for the run D.

Good write up, Cover.

also a by product of Jones being out. With the statements Roper has made post that game, i don't know if the staff trusts the other backs with all the duties of playing the position in Roper's offense.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I haven't re-watched the LSU game but I seem to recall a few things we can build on.

We finally ran that end around. The threat of that can help loosen things up in the box.

A couple of times it looked like we actually read the blitz and threw over it or ran away from it. This was something I haven't seen in a long, long time. Much improved over Kentucky and Alabama.

We also (for the first time in forever) picked up some stunts and twists.

The game was a heartbreaker but there were positives and maybe a roadmap to some future success.

Alex.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n80528 said:
also a by product of Jones being out. With the statements Roper has made post that game, i don't know if the staff trusts the other backs with all the duties of playing the position in Roper's offense.

That's a pretty sad state of affairs if we have only ONE running back capable of playing in the offense. Especially if that ONE running back is coming back from two ACL surgeries.

I'd also have to say if only one of them is capable, perhaps that's an indictment on the coaching. We have FOUR other rb's on scholarship. Either teach them and coach'em up properly or change the offense. He's been here since spring and there's no excuse for not doing one or the other.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Alagator;n80548 said:
That's a pretty sad state of affairs if we have only ONE running back capable of playing in the offense. Especially if that ONE running back is coming back from two ACL surgeries.

I'd also have to say if only one of them is capable, perhaps that's an indictment on the coaching. We have FOUR other rb's on scholarship. Either teach them and coach'em up properly or change the offense. He's been here since spring and there's no excuse for not doing one or the other.

Fully agree, it's a coaching issue. We have the talent, coach it up.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Good points.

The secondary mishaps were a shock to me. I really felt like the communication issue was corrected between Ala and ut. I guess not. But that's a big issue, and getting to the point of being entirely inexcusable at this stage of the season.

Fully agree on Debose. He's trying to do too much, and is comparable to a QB who squeezes a TD pass into tight coverage and comes back out thinking there's no pass he can't complete. I did like the effort though.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That is an excellent analysis Cover2.

However, there is one thing we can do to change the course of this team. Start Treon Harris. The team needs a spark...they need someone to play for...they need to play hard and without fear. Even when Driskel makes a good play, the team is simply waiting for him to make a bad play. This is who we are with Driskel. Harris may make mistakes (maybe not), but they (offense and defense) won't quit on him until he is given a full, fair shot at running the team. Driskel cannot do it...

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
One thing that makes this offense more effective is attacking the seams vertically in the passing game. I really can't remember anytime in JD's career were he has even attempted these throws. Harris had a nice throw to Herndon against EMU in this area. And from the fall "practice reports" I seem to remember him hitting some explosive plays in this area. I'm hoping they dial up some of these throws for him during his snaps this Saturday. JDs fastball doesn't work well when you want to drop it over the LB and in front of the safety.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n80619 said:
One thing that makes this offense more effective is attacking the seams vertically in the passing game. I really can't remember anytime in JD's career were he has even attempted these throws.

During the bama game this year. It was intercepted.

ufgator2002

Bleeds Orange and Blue
Aug 11, 2014
soflagator;n80554 said:
Good points.

The secondary mishaps were a shock to me. I really felt like the communication issue was corrected between Ala and ut. I guess not. But that's a big issue, and getting to the point of being entirely inexcusable at this stage of the season.

Fully agree on Debose. He's trying to do too much, and is comparable to a QB who squeezes a TD pass into tight coverage and comes back out thinking there's no pass he can't complete. I did like the effort though.

I will say on this we need to remember that VH3 went out of the game and Poole was who was getting torched. That is why they moved him to nickle and is why the comms issues had lessened to that point. The moment VH3 went out and Poole had to cover, the comms issue came to light again.... Poole can play inside positions but not corner.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Just make the plays when they present themselves. Both of our losses this year could be traced back to specific plays that changed the flow of the game for the worse or straight up lost us the game. Whether it's making a great pass on 3rd down, or catching the ball when you're across the sticks on 3rd down, or catching the ball in the endzone, or being on the same page with the other 10 defenders on 3rd and long, or having better field awareness to turn a long gain into a touchdown, or not committing a crippling penalty on 3rd down. Clean up the execution and it's a whole new season.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n80619 said:
One thing that makes this offense more effective is attacking the seams vertically in the passing game. I really can't remember anytime in JD's career were he has even attempted these throws. Harris had a nice throw to Herndon against EMU in this area. And from the fall "practice reports" I seem to remember him hitting some explosive plays in this area. I'm hoping they dial up some of these throws for him during his snaps this Saturday. JDs fastball doesn't work well when you want to drop it over the LB and in front of the safety.

May be gun shy. I can think of some throws he's made to the middle of the field that haven't worked out, but you're right, most of what we see are either up the sidelines or somewhere in the flats. Depending on the personnel and the formation, a good scheme will allow you to get a speed or size mismatch on a seam route.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
cover2;n80719 said:
May be gun shy. I can think of some throws he's made to the middle of the field that haven't worked out, but you're right, most of what we see are either up the sidelines or somewhere in the flats. Depending on the personnel and the formation, a good scheme will allow you to get a speed or size mismatch on a seam route.

I think the staff doesn't trust him. that is why 90% of the passes are out to the flats or sideline. Nice write up. Other than the bama game where we were out-couched and out-played, we should of won all the other games easily. Proper execution of the offensive plays, and just eliminating major mistakes on the defense will make every game seem more in our control.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
CaribGator;n80777 said:
I think the staff doesn't trust him. that is why 90% of the passes are out to the flats or sideline. Nice write up. Other than the bama game where we were out-couched and out-played, we should of won all the other games easily. Proper execution of the offensive plays, and just eliminating major mistakes on the defense will make every game seem more in our control.

I don't think we trust our interior wide recievers either. I believe Pittman leads the team in drops.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
TheDouglas78;n80779 said:
I don't think we trust our interior wide recievers either. I believe Pittman leads the team in drops.

May get a heavy dose of Worton this week

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator