Play of the Year: Midseason Edition

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Will Sammon over at the Athletic posted his midseason awards and it is worth checking out, if you have a sub.

Florida at midseason: Dan Mullen is restoring optimism to...

One of the categories is Best Play and he lists a few of the choices, including last week's fake punt, the double pass and the Stewart Pick-6, but he ends up choosing the 4th and Game sack by Stiner as his favorite, saying it was the one play that sealed a win.

I like Franks' run on 3rd and 7 against LSU on THE answer drive of the season so far, where he makes the right read and runs 12 yards, as my MVP play of the Midseason.

Last edited:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
If we're talking best individual play, I'm not sure Brad Stewart's late interception against Tennessee can be topped. If we're talking most exciting play, I'm not sure Brad Stewart's pick 6 against LSU can be topped. If we're talking game-clinching plays, it's obviously the Stiner sack against MSU.

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The sheer impact on the Swamp gives Stewart's P6 against LSU the spotlight, but he wouldn't have had that chance if Franks doesn't keep that drive going with that improbable run. The attitude to come right back down the field after it looked like the Gators had been broken by LSU, to me, is the defining moment of the season so far.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
The sheer impact on the Swamp gives Stewart's P6 against LSU the spotlight, but he wouldn't have had that chance if Franks doesn't keep that drive going with that improbable run. The attitude to come right back down the field after it looked like the Gators had been broken by LSU, to me, is the defining moment of the season so far.
True. Without Franks' play, Stewart's play is irrelevant.
But... Stewart's Pick-6 feels more important. To me, it feels like the play that brought Gator football back. For most, seeing the former players jumping around and how loud that stadium got was the proof that this was different from the last 2 coaches. Even the National media took notice following that play. I watched that play earlier today and it still gives me goosebumps. For that, I'm giving my vote to Stew's pick-6.
Now, I will say that that drive was absolutely the best we've had all year. Clutch plays by the players and clutch play calling by Coach Mullen.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
If we're talking best individual play, I'm not sure Brad Stewart's late interception against Tennessee can be topped. If we're talking most exciting play, I'm not sure Brad Stewart's pick 6 against LSU can be topped. If we're talking game-clinching plays, it's obviously the Stiner sack against MSU.

I view Stiner game ending sack at Miss State the play of the half season.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think this play may have made a statement for the rest of the season......

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
No love for the jump pass??? j/k

My personal pick for play so far this season? The strip sack of Joe Burrow on the second drive of that game. LSU is driving and about to go up 14-0 (we had no answers until this point) when Polite blindsides Burrow. Stewart's pick was big, and Stiner's INT sealed it. However, this game is completely different without this play. Same way that the LSU and Vandy games are different without the endzone picks.

Plays I don't think I've seen mentioned yet (sorry, if one is included) as honorable:
  • The back shoulder throw TD to Cleveland at UT
  • Ancrum's pick at UT
  • Scarlett killing UT with a TD to Start the 2nd half in Knoxville
  • The slant to Jefferson for the TD in Nashville
  • Scarlett's go ahead TD in Nashville
  • That Josh Hammond pass to set up the go ahead score just before half against LSU
  • Perine's catch and run to set up a field goal at the end of the half in Nashville

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm gonna roll with the Stewart pick6 as the play of the year this far and put the stiner hit 2nd. Don't think any other plays really compete with that

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I'd add the Krull to Franks throwback pass because it set up the go ahead score.

That’s a great pick, 88. Lost among so many big plays that game, the combination of pass against the grain by Krull, and concentration by Franks to catch it in stride with a defender and the sidelines bearing down, is super impressive and very much overlooked.

Another of the less heralded, how about Henderson’s forced fumble on the TE in the ut game. It’s easy to sit back now and look at our 6-1 record, being ahead of schedule, the momentum, etc. But that was still when we were trying to create momentum, not ride it. And a vol TD there makes it 23-10 and keeps hope alive. Like the other ”without _____, _____ doesn’t matter” plays, without this game, none of the other wins may have happened. And that play was huge.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Half a season and we've already got too many "toast-worthy" plays to narrow down. Let's just drink it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator