Player Development Myth

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There has been a lot of claims about Will Muschamp and lack of player development. People have gone so far as to claim his ineffectiveness as a leader is costing kids their NFL futures. Statements about kids coming here are going to see their NFL dreams die, etc, etc. First, I am on the record as saying we NEED a new head coach! He has been an terrible head coach, no doubt. I am as feed up with him as anybody!

What he is not guilty of is lack of developing NFL talent. Based on the supposition that he's costing kids an NFL career, I did a quick search of draft picks of our last four head coaches. Two of those coaches being coaches who brought UF fortune and fame and nice shiny trophies. Here is what I turned up.

Urban Meyer:
2010 - 9
2009 - 3
2008 - 2
2007 - 9
2006 - 3
2005 - 3

Average: 4.25 x year over first 4 years

Ron Zook:
2004 - 5
2003 - 8
2002 - 8

Average: 7 x year over three years. That's SEVEN. (Had he been given another 2005 would have lowered his average to 6. Still higher than any of our last 4 coaches)

Steve Spurrier (last 3 years)
2001 - 4
2000 - 5
1999 - 8
1998 - 5

Average: 5.5 x year.

Average first four years: 5

*** The OP was about players missing NFL careers because of lack of development under Muschamp. Muschamp is henceforth bashed because we thought we had found yet another reason to hate him. After all, he is personally responsible for their missed NFL opportunities. We then can look to NFL drafts picks per year to either support or deny our claim. Here is what the data supports: (Disclaimer. I did not look at those who made teams as undrafted free agents)

Player Development by draft picks in first 4 years of coaching (3 for Zook) (i.e. NFL career opportunities)

#1 By a rather large margin - Ron Zook! That's right. The Zooker! (7 per year and still has 6 if you were to take 2005 into account.)

#2 The one and only.........Ole Ball Coach! (5 per year)

#3 The much embattled and belittled - Will Muschamp (4.5 per year. He is 0.5 behind SOS, which is not bad compared to the one and only Gator legend)

#4 The two time national champion - Urban Meyer (4.25 per year)

* Hell, judging by this one would have to admit that UM is the best coach we'd ever had. Comparing these stats it appears he did more with less.

Take from this what you want and I'm sure you can even use these stats to further promote the anti Muschamp propaganda. I don't really care about that. But we are Gators. At least let our hatred be based in fact and not just rampant, fanatical ranting. There is reason enough to want the man gone without just lashing out with emotional outburst that actually don't have substantive reasoning behind them.

I hate the product on the field. Our offense has never been worse. Muschamp is responsible for stealing the joy that once was Gator football. What he's not responsible for is lack of player development. At least that's what the data suggests...

EDIT: I am at work and hurried. Forgot to add WILL MUSCHAMP had 2, 8, and 4. That's a 4.6 average. I accidentally rolled my years up by one...i.e. the 2010 season is the 2011 draft. Shoot~ :crazy:

But this was a lot of hard work and I don't have time to correct it and I aint removing it now...:headshake:Maybe someone with time (and that's better at statistics) can perfect it.

It still supports the fact that overall player development average for Will Muschamp as been on par with past coaches. :whistle:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Some numbers do suggest Muschamp is mostly bad at picking offensive talent but I think the WR's etc. have been hurt by him big time. Well him and Driskel combined.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n88166 said:
Some numbers do suggest Muschamp is mostly bad at picking offensive talent but I think the WR's etc. have been hurt by him big time. Well him and Driskel combined.

Name a WR you think whose stock was hurt by WM.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n88169 said:
Name a WR you think whose stock was hurt by WM.

Robinson right now and I think a couple of that class might have done something if they had a decent QB that could throw the ball and a game plan that threw it over the whole field.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n88173 said:
Robinson right now and I think a couple of that class might have done something if they had a decent QB that could throw the ball and a game plan that threw it over the whole field.

DRob went from not seeing the field last year to being the leading receiver this year. Pretty sure his stock has gone up.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Robinson hasn't been hurt, he is looked at as the only playmaker on the team. If you wanted to say Fulwood or Pittman, then maybe, but Robinson has performed well and has gotten recognized for it. How has he been hurt?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n88176 said:
DRob went from not seeing the field last year to being the leading receiver this year. Pretty sure his stock has gone up.

He is real talent imo being wasted with our offense along with some of his class. His stock would be much higher imo on a decent passing team.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n88182 said:
He is real talent imo being wasted with our offense along with some of his class. His stock would be much higher imo on a decent passing team.

Robinson is third in receiving yards in the SEC and tied for fifth in receptions. He is the only receiver that isn't being hurt by this offense.

601Gator

Aug 10, 2014
Muschamp's player development hasn't been the problem. Offensively, its been closing on the big time playmakers. Agholar, Diggs, Lane, Cook, etc. etc.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n88188 said:
Robinson is third in receiving yards in the SEC and tied for fifth in receptions. He is the only receiver that isn't being hurt by this offense.

Because we sling it deep a bunch of times until we hit a few finally and that big game he had early. I think he is top NFL talent if he gets something around him probably..

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Alagator;n88154 said:
There has been a lot of claims about Will Muschamp and lack of player development. People have gone so far as to claim his ineffectiveness as a leader is costing kids their NFL futures. Statements about kids coming here are going to see their NFL dreams die, etc, etc. First, I am on the record as saying we NEED a new head coach! He has been an terrible head coach, no doubt. I am as feed up with him as anybody!

What he is not guilty of is lack of developing NFL talent. Based on the supposition that he's costing kids an NFL career, I did a quick search of draft picks of our last four head coaches. Two of those coaches being coaches who brought UF fortune and fame and nice shiny trophies. Here is what I turned up.

Urban Meyer:
2010 - 9
2009 - 3
2008 - 2
2007 - 9
2006 - 3
2005 - 3

Average: 4.25 x year over first 4 years

Ron Zook:
2004 - 5
2003 - 8
2002 - 8

Average: 7 x year over three years. That's SEVEN. (Had he been given another 2005 would have lowered his average to 6. Still higher than any of our last 4 coaches)

Steve Spurrier (last 3 years)
2001 - 4
2000 - 5
1999 - 8
1998 - 5

Average: 5.5 x year.

Average first four years: 5

*** The OP was about players missing NFL careers because of lack of development under Muschamp. Muschamp is henceforth bashed because we thought we had found yet another reason to hate him. After all, he is personally responsible for their missed NFL opportunities. We then can look to NFL drafts picks per year to either support or deny our claim. Here is what the data supports: (Disclaimer. I did not look at those who made teams as undrafted free agents)

Player Development by draft picks in first 4 years of coaching (3 for Zook) (i.e. NFL career opportunities)

#1 By a rather large margin - Ron Zook! That's right. The Zooker! (7 per year and still has 6 if you were to take 2005 into account.)

#2 The one and only.........Ole Ball Coach! (5 per year)

#3 The much embattled and belittled - Will Muschamp (4.5 per year. He is 0.5 behind SOS, which is not bad compared to the one and only Gator legend)

#4 The two time national champion - Urban Meyer (4.25 per year)

* Hell, judging by this one would have to admit that UM is the best coach we'd ever had. Comparing these stats it appears he did more with less.

Take from this what you want and I'm sure you can even use these stats to further promote the anti Muschamp propaganda. I don't really care about that. But we are Gators. At least let our hatred be based in fact and not just rampant, fanatical ranting. There is reason enough to want the man gone without just lashing out with emotional outburst that actually don't have substantive reasoning behind them.

I hate the product on the field. Our offense has never been worse. Muschamp is responsible for stealing the joy that once was Gator football. What he's not responsible for is lack of player development. At least that's what the data suggests...

I don't hate Muschamp and there was zero emotion in my speculation. I notice you didn't list Muschamp's NFL draft-drift.
My real concern is the belief that fun-playing, fun-winning, and likelihood of notice by NFL scouting reports draws the most
talented players with up-beat dreams & confidence. Right now, UF owns a trend that can offer none of that. It's just my
posted statement (fear).

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n88193 said:
Because we sling it deep a bunch of times until we hit a few finally and that big game he had early. I think he is top NFL talent if he gets something around him probably..

No, he has shown to make plays on short passes and turn them into big plays. If you had said Fullwood or another WR, I would agree, but DRob is not being hurt by this offense. His stock might even rise due to being the only star on the offense.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n88199 said:
No, he has shown to make plays on short passes and turn them into big plays. If you had said Fullwood or another WR, I would agree, but DRob is not being hurt by this offense. His stock might even rise due to being the only star on the offense.

He has caught a few long ones - we will just agree to disagree on Robinson. I have a feeling he will make catches all over the field next season as long as Driskel is not the QB.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If there were no development important in CFB service-time, then more kids would go straight from H.S. to the NFL.
CFB is the training-ground, developmental league for the NFL.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The only thing this shows is that Muschamp does less with more NFL talent than Meyer.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What those numbers prove to me is Spurrier was able to do more with less and just the opposite for Zook. NFL people want to see discipline in the way a player performs his position but they also evaluate based on raw talent. Zook was always a better recruiter than Spurrier.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar;n88197 said:
I don't hate Muschamp and there was zero emotion in my speculation. I notice you didn't list Muschamp's NFL draft-drift.
My real concern is the belief that fun-playing, fun-winning, and likelihood of notice by NFL scouting reports draws the most
talented players with up-beat dreams & confidence. Right now, UF owns a trend that can offer none of that. It's just my
posted statement (fear).

Didn't mean to imply "you" hate Muschamp. I was purposely generalizing because so many do hate him they want to pile on at any chance, whether it's warranted or not. He's done plenty to make us dissatisfied with him without piling up extra garbage that isn't true.

I originally compiled all the stats on a scratch paper then when transferring them neglected to add Muschamps. But I did report how many he's had. Also provided a link to you can check'em out for yourself if you want. Just found it an intriguing counter to the general consensus around here that he sucks as a HC AND does not develop players and is costing them future NFL careers. Data suggest he's on par with the last three coaches in terms of putting players into the NFL.

Can't argue about the fun...Muschamp ball has NOT been fun to watch. Can't imagine it's been fun to play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.