Pool/Fence Build Thread

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
An indoor pool is supposed to be safe to swim in during a lightning storm because of the bonding and lightning arrestor systems commercial type pool buildings have. I won't be swimming in lightning storm. I have seen the damage done to lightning arrestor systems from a near strike.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Heck there's no need to wait until the pool is finished, Cooter is wanting to christen the watering hole..... View attachment 3671
I look pretty good gettin some big air. I'm gon give this gal some snorkel lessons once we do a couple laps.

Brad before they pour that deck, push the steel away from the form, you want 2" clearance from steel to edge of form and also from the ground, thats the purpose of the chairs; The steel is going to rust eventually and if its against the form it will cause the face of the concrete to degrade and break down. You need minimum two inches of concrete cover all the way around.
Also it would be a good idea to house those ball valves that control the arc jets in a valve box something like this so you always have clean access. You may already have that planned.
images

Be there if possible when they place the concrete. Ideally you want no more than a 4 inch slump, This is usually an ideal water to cement ratio however concrete finishers like to add a lot of water to the mix so that it tailgates easily and flows without having to pull it too much. Adding water reduces the compressive strength. The driver can tell you how much has been put into the mix. A typical truck will carry 9 cubic yards, however many counties restrict them to 8 yard loads because of the weight. If they are going to add water to a load allow them to add no more than 20 gallons to a tight load (4 inch slump) and only at first, no water added after discharging more than a couple yards.
It looks like your deck is about 8 feet wide. Try and get them to place your expansion joints about every 10 feet and keep the concrete damp for maybe 48 hours so that it doesn't hydrate too quickly. You can do this by misting the concrete, however don't flood it as this will wash away the cement fines on top and cause a condition called slaking. That's where the surface peels away later. Concrete usually develops it's cracks duing the first few hours of curing however those cracks may not be visible for 6 months. Read this it's important.

http://www.cement.org/cement-concrete-basics/working-with-concrete/placing-and-finishing-concrete
http://www.cement.org/cement-concrete-basics/working-with-concrete/curing

Last edited:

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I was going to warn you about the concrete but looks like Cooter got to it first. Maybe next time.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The pest control guy comes out Monday to treat all the areas where concrete will be abutting the house. Which is also concrete block.

The next inspection is also Monday. We're expecting to fail it, unless the inspector is cool. Two weeks ago, we changed and added to the deck shape. Which required a permit revision. Which is still "pending". Thank you govt efficiency. But if we do pass, deck will poured Wednesday.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Day 20. Monday.

Pest control came out and treated all disturbed soil.

They installed a plastic piece above the tile and a styrofoam mold above the tiles to form the deck.

image.jpg

image.jpg

They also, somehow, sanded my existing patio knock down texture so they can redo it with the pool deck and make it all match perfectly.

image.jpg

Permit revision for the change in deck shape got approved today and inspection is tomorrow. If that passes, deck will be poured Wednesday.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
They also, somehow, sanded my existing patio knock down texture so they can redo it with the pool deck and make it all match perfectly.

image.jpg

Is this the same deck where you like to sip your summer shandys?

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Inspector was here when I got home.... boy was she pissed. She was leaving. She couldnt make heads or tails of something and asked the crew here and they told her they were busy. I royally kissed her ass and helped her look at the engineering drawings. Bottom line, she passed everything and the deck will be poured tomorrow.

I now need a shower and to apply some antibiotics to my lips.

giphy.gif

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Inspector was here when I got home.... boy was she pissed. She was leaving. She couldnt make heads or tails of something and asked the crew here and they told her they were busy. I royally kissed her ass and helped her look at the engineering drawings. Bottom line, she passed everything and the deck will be poured tomorrow.

I now need a shower and to apply some antibiotics to my lips.

giphy.gif

Whew, close call....no neomycin test on lips...lol

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Day 21. Tuesday.

Passed latest inspections and all the fine little details so the deck can be poured tomorrow. The deco drain was also placed.
image.jpg

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Isn't there a GC on the job? Was it just a timing thing that the Inspector would show at any time?

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I cant see any expansion joints in the walks or deck. How are you gonna handle the water flow from the rain water leader, looks like the walk may have it trapped.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I cant see any expansion joints in the walks or deck. How are you gonna handle the water flow from the rain water leader, looks like the walk may have it trapped.

You mean the gutter right there by the permit box? That gutter doesn't carry alot of water and that whole area is a huge flowerbed/shrub area. There is just a little grass to remove, which you can barely see in that pic. I've kept that grass alive so I can use it to repair areas.

I do have 2 gutters that penetrate the deck into 6 inch pipes that run underneath it. You can see them in the 1st pic. One is the leftest column, the other is on the corner of the house. We went round and round on the best way to do that, but I like what we came up with and where we ran them.

Expansion joints..... Yeah, I'm with ya, there is nothing there. It's like an ice rink right now. Do they cut them in later, but before they apply the knock down and deck paint? There is a huge bundle of expansion fiber boards sitting on my back patio.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Coot asked about that rectangular piece off to the side. That was actually the deck change that required the permit revision.

We want to eventually build a pavilion. So I wanted all the concrete work done now. It's a 10ft by 14ft pad. For something like this:
IMG_4658.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator