Pool/Fence Build Thread

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You mean the gutter right there by the permit box? That gutter doesn't carry alot of water and that whole area is a huge flowerbed/shrub area. There is just a little grass to remove, which you can barely see in that pic. I've kept that grass alive so I can use it to repair areas.

I do have 2 gutters that penetrate the deck into 6 inch pipes that run underneath it. You can see them in the 1st pic. One is the leftest column, the other is on the corner of the house. We went round and round on the best way to do that, but I like what we came up with and where we ran them.

Expansion joints..... Yeah, I'm with ya, there is nothing there. It's like an ice rink right now. Do they cut them in later, but before they apply the knock down and deck paint? There is a huge bundle of expansion fiber boards sitting on my back patio.

i thought we talked about expansion joints earlier (post 126). If youre gonna cut joints, they need to be done as the concrete is setting (this is as the surface water dries off), like within about 6 hours or less. Concrete develops it's cracks as it hydrates, which in 90+ weather is almost immediately. Are you keeping it misted? The fiberboard expansion joint material is for use against another concrete surface. The joints I'm concerned with belong in the field. A 3 or 4' wide walk should get whats called a dummy joint or struck joint (see your existing patio in post 130) every 4 or 5 feet. These encourage cracks from linear expansion to occur within the struck joint to disguise it. These are tooled in with a jointing tool immediately after screeding and striking the concrete. The true expansion joint is actually whats called a construction joint which should help prevent a crack from expansion. In a walk they should be about every 3rd or 4th dummy joint or 20 '. I think I advised you in an earlier discussion on the appropriate distance between expansion joints in the deck field. If theres one guarantee when you pour concrete, its not if its gonna crack but where. The joints help minimize them and at least encourage their location.
I like the idea of the pavilion.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
i thought we talked about expansion joints earlier (post 126). If youre gonna cut joints, they need to be done as the concrete is setting (this is as the surface water dries off), like within about 6 hours or less. Concrete develops it's cracks as it hydrates, which in 90+ weather is almost immediately. Are you keeping it misted? The fiberboard expansion joint material is for use against another concrete surface. The joints I'm concerned with belong in the field. A 3 or 4' wide walk should get whats called a dummy joint or struck joint (see your existing patio in post 130) every 4 or 5 feet. These encourage cracks from linear expansion to occur within the struck joint to disguise it. These are tooled in with a jointing tool immediately after screeding and striking the concrete. The true expansion joint is actually whats called a construction joint which should help prevent a crack from expansion. In a walk they should be about every 3rd or 4th dummy joint or 20 '. I think I advised you in an earlier discussion on the appropriate distance between expansion joints in the deck field. If theres one guarantee when you pour concrete, its not if its gonna crack but where. The joints help minimize them and at least encourage their location.
:exactly: Yep. A couple of times.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Damn that pool is close to your house

We dont think so. It's over 30 feet away from our back sliding doors. 12 feet away is the closet the roof line ever comes. Nobody is jumping that. Why would I want it further away than that?

image.jpg

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
We dont think so. It's over 30 feet away from our back sliding doors. 12 feet away is the closet the roof line ever comes. Nobody is jumping that. Why would I want it further away than that?

image.jpg
Agreed. My pool could easily be jumped into from my roof. Same as my neighbor, and thousands of others. Why would you want it so far away?

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

The GC said all the joints are being cut in today. Do not let your heart be troubled.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
:exactly: Yep. A couple of times.

I picture NV as that little short dude on Christmas Story who followed that bully around. Never adding anything useful to the conversation.... just snarky comments. Usually hiding behind others.
34d064e5e5783267d160448a6371ba75.jpg

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's 12 feet from the edge of the roof covering the back porch to the start of that shelf?

The #1 thing we wanted was to not be "crowded in" and not have enough deck space. We have no limitations on space, just budget. We walked this area a 1000 times placing furniture and chairs out in the grass with different pool layouts marked with 2x4s.

We have never considered the sun shelf part of the "pool". But regardless, in that pic it is 8 ft between existing patio to the edge of the sundeck. To the left of that, it is 18 ft from the existing patio to the pool edge. That covered back patio I am standing under to take the picture is 24 ft wide, 17 feet deep. There is an absolute ton of room. Plus the eventual pavilion.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The #1 thing we wanted was to not be "crowded in" and not have enough deck space. We have no limitations on space, just budget. We walked this area a 1000 times placing furniture and chairs out in the grass with different pool layouts marked with 2x4s.

We have never considered the sun shelf part of the "pool". But regardless, in that pic it is 8 ft between existing patio to the edge of the sundeck. To the left of that, it is 18 ft from the existing patio to the pool edge. That covered back patio I am standing under to take the picture is 24 ft wide, 17 feet deep. There is an absolute ton of room. Plus the eventual pavilion.
8 feet isn't bad. Looked like 2 feet in the picture.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I picture NV as that little short dude on Christmas Story who followed that bully around. Never adding anything useful to the conversation.... just snarky comments. Usually hiding behind others.
Yeah, and coot is the primary bully. He's got us all convinced this pool will end up a disaster.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well, let see, when I've asked question or provided real feedback it's been ignored so, yeah I'm having fun with you in you thread.

BTW, when I agreed with cooter about the concrete, this is the exact image I had. Glad to see it worked. :lol:

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well, let see, when I've asked question or provided real feedback it's been ignored so, yeah I'm having fun with you in you thread.

BTW, when I agreed with cooter about the concrete, this is the exact image I had. Glad to see it worked. :lol:

You've asked 4 questions.

1st question:
Could you get the pool any closer to the house? Jebus, you live on how many acres and you wanted to be able to jump off the roof into the pool?
deserved no response

2nd question:
Weis' old property?
deserved no response

3rd question was about the piping manifold.... which coot directly answered.

4th question was about a pool liner.... which I directly responded to.

As far as feedback.... you've provided none. Any time coot says something you say, "Yeah.... what coot said."

Look, I dont really care. I actually expected many more non-helpful comments. Most of them in here have been pretty funny. If you are simply having fun.... then keep up the good work. But to say you have been "ignored" is laughable.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
8 feet isn't bad. Looked like 2 feet in the picture.

What's funny is that any kind of picture we take out in the yard.... they all give that impression. It took us years to figure out why. My guess is there is no real reference since it is basically wide open pasture. There is no other house, or tree, or fence nearby. This is a pretty darn big house (4500 sqft under roof).... but after we built it, it looked like the size of a single wide. Now that some nearby trees are getting some height, the "scale" is changing a little. The pool is above average in size... 30x15, with a 10x13 sunshelf. This wouldnt even fit in most backyards. But in those pics... it looks so damn small. :lol:

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You've asked 4 questions.

1st question:

deserved no response

2nd question:

deserved no response

3rd question was about the piping manifold.... which coot directly answered.

4th question was about a pool liner.... which I directly responded to.

As far as feedback.... you've provided none. Any time coot says something you say, "Yeah.... what coot said."

Look, I dont really care. I actually expected many more non-helpful comments. Most of them in here have been pretty funny. If you are simply having fun.... then keep up the good work. But to say you have been "ignored" is laughable.
Allow me to present Questions 5 & 6.
Isn't there a GC on the job? Was it just a timing thing that the Inspector would show at any time?

I expected a couple tongue in cheek answers to earlier questions but it's clear you ain't got no time for that. Enjoy your new pool. Looks like it will turn out good.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What's funny is that any kind of picture we take out in the yard.... they all give that impression. It took us years to figure out why. My guess is there is no real reference since it is basically wide open pasture. There is no other house, or tree, or fence nearby. This is a pretty darn big house (4500 sqft under roof).... but after we built it, it looked like the size of a single wide. Now that some nearby trees are getting some height, the "scale" is changing a little. The pool is above average in size... 30x15, with a 10x13 sunshelf. This wouldnt even fit in most backyards. But in those pics... it looks so damn small. :lol:
size of the house and the camera lens

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Allow me to present Questions 5 & 6.

I expected a couple tongue in cheek answers to earlier questions but it's clear you ain't got no time for that. Enjoy your new pool. Looks like it will turn out good.

Oh yeah, I actually meant to answer that one... typically during the day, no the head honcho is not on site. There is another guy who is always there, doing most of the work actually. The inspector came up around 3, he was hotter and tired as hell, and I guess was short with her. I luckily came home with perfect timing.

Usually I would have responded to the funnier comments. But things have been so busy with me with dealing with my mom that I have kinda checked out. The pool build has been a nice distraction. Keep em coming NV!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.