Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We have 2 in this class already.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Read the whole article and they admit why not - body isn't prototypical. Kid is huge, as in not mobile - coach says he doesn't have to be given the offense.

It's a heart tug story, and I'd be fine giving the kid a shot (better stats than trask, but as the article points out - against small school competition). Maybe he can play at the next level, maybe not. Let him go to fcs and learn what it is like not being a big fish in a small pond. Let him taste fcs and then div1 can consider if he can make the big boy level.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
A long time ago when high school football was primarily a running game, a major college might sign 5 or 6 QB's in a class, not to play QB, but b/c many of them were the best athlete on their high school team, and those guys played ball in college as RB's WR's TE's, LB, DB's etc. Well it appears this kid might have to give another position a try if he wishes a D-1 scholarship. But let's say he wants to play QB only, which is his prerogative, but many large schools show no interest (the schools' prerogative). It is akin to Tim Tebow and the NFL. Almost all of the 32 teams decided he was not an NFL QB, but yet probably all of them were interested in him as a football player b/c he was a tremendous athlete and player who probably could have had a long career as a 5-tool player (to use a baseball term) in the NFL. But Tebow wanted to play QB only (his prerogative) and almost all the teams in the NFL chose to take a pass on his QB wishes (their prerogative). I wish this kid the best and perhaps all the D-1 schools will be proven wrong, but they obviously value those schollies too much to give one to a kid who at this time is set on playing a single position only.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Read the whole article and they admit why not - body isn't prototypical. Kid is huge, as in not mobile - coach says he doesn't have to be given the offense.

It's a heart tug story, and I'd be fine giving the kid a shot (better stats than trask, but as the article points out - against small school competition). Maybe he can play at the next level, maybe not. Let him go to fcs and learn what it is like not being a big fish in a small pond. Let him taste fcs and then div1 can consider if he can make the big boy level.

I see a person perhaps in the mold of Tim but without the opportunity or exposure. I thought we only had one QB in this class and that one expected to be a WR. Now I did not see him as not mobile, but rather not having to run in their offense against their competition. I read it that he could run somewhat like Tim.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
But let's say he wants to play QB only, which is his prerogative, but many large schools show no interest (the schools' prerogative).

Article did mention at least one inquiry about would he move to fullback, the response was he only wants to be a QB.

Now I did not see him as not mobile, but rather not having to run in their offense against their competition. I read it that he could run somewhat like Tim.

We can read into it however we wish. My take from it was less about being able to run for yards either as an option QB or as a Tebow bull dozer, but more of running to keep a play alive (escapability). The coach was the one who said he didn't have to run in their offense, and the kid is stated "just watch me throw" when asked about a lack of rushing yards. That tells me they had plays they could execute well - either based on good timing (ball placement and route running) and/or a solid OL that bought him time. Maybe I'm wrong on the OL, and he could move in the pocket to buy time. But I look at our OL for the past few years and think the foremost need in a QB is can he survive the DL rush? "Escapability" and buying time are crucial for us right now. Maybe he is accurate and can deliver a quick ball to survive our OL, but the article talks about dropping dimes on bombs...that tells me he needs time for the play to develop which we haven't afforded a QB in years.

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
Enjoyed the article. Sounds like a great kid who can play, but it won't be at a big school.

1. Putting his height at 6' plus or minus an inch screams a max of 5'10" to me.
2. Article implied he isn't fast as they distinguished him from short QBs who can run.
3. He played against the lowest level of competition in GA HS.
4. Against that competition he completed 62% of passes.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Enjoyed the article. Sounds like a great kid who can play, but it won't be at a big school.

1. Putting his height at 6' plus or minus an inch screams a max of 5'10" to me.
2. Article implied he isn't fast as they distinguished him from short QBs who can run.
3. He played against the lowest level of competition in GA HS.
4. Against that competition he completed 62% of passes.

But only 2 INT's in his Sr. season - and those were in playoffs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator