Possibly best NCAA FB opening weekend in recent history? Or ever?

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Let's see:
Mighty Gators? WIN! :dance::bananadance2::brad::sohappy::yes::stars::fistbump:

Hated Vols? LOSS! :loser::lol::lol2: :bwahaha::rotfl:

Hated Canes? LOSS! :loser::lol::lol2: :bwahaha::rotfl:

Hated Noles? LOSS! :loser::lol::lol2: :bwahaha::rotfl:

I don't remember the last time a Florida win on opening weekend was accompanied by losses by not one...not two...but THREE of our most hated rivals!

And to top it off our win, even thought it was against a cupcake, was the start of a new coaching regime and looked as encouraging as you would want it to look. In short, I am pretty much on top of the world right now.

So that just leaves one question.

CONAN! What is best in life??

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We're tied with UCF and USF!

:ohnoez:

:chomp:

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just needed something in there with Jawja, like... there were hit with NCAA Probation or Bowl Cut Coach was caught buttfugging a Frat boy or something.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Incorrect if you live in Miami like me. Don't forget, the team that FSU lost to on opening weekend in 2009 was...Miami. So I had to see the scUMmers celebrating all over the place.

Anyway, at that time I hardly even got that excited about Georgia losing anymore, other than when they lost to us of course. They had practically fallen off our rival radar, except based on old history. We had beaten them in 16 if the past 20 games at that point, and 8 of the past 10.

But Georgia is clearly our biggest rival along with FSU. Age probably determines who fans see as the biggest rival of the two and winning or losing streaks shouldn't change that. A Gator fan should always root for the other team to beat FSU and Georgia no matter if its Tenn or whoever else we might play every year like LSU.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Let's see:
Mighty Gators? WIN!
Hated Vols? LOSS!
Hated Canes? LOSS!
Hated Noles? LOSS!

I don't remember the last time a Florida win on opening weekend was accompanied by losses by not one...not two...but THREE of our most hated rivals!

And to top it off our win, even thought it was against a cupcake, was the start of a new coaching regime and looked as encouraging as you would want it to look. In short, I am pretty much on top of the world right now.

Pretty spot on. Sadly there was no way for both LSU and Miami to lose.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well I don't know what book you're getting that from but I don't have to go by any book because I'm not just a Gator fan, I'm an actual Gator, twice over. My credentials are irrevocable. Anyway why are you picking an argument in this celebration thread? You seem salty. Fess up, did you bet on the Noles tonight or what? :scratchchin: lol

I am definitely a Gator - just saying Georgia and FSU are clearly our 2 biggest rivals. If you think Miami losing along with Tenn losing is bigger than Georgia losing that is your opinion. No big deal.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It's really nice but doesn't quite measure up to seeing Georgia and FSU both losing their openers imo. I would take those 2 losing over any other combo of teams losing that didn't include both of them.

DocZaius

Founding Member
Return to Monke
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Let me add to the list: Chip Kelly's UCLA team lost to Cincinnati. That's right, the great amazing coach we were all excited for and then we failed to sign (for whatever reason) maybe isn't so great after all.

Also, FSU is now tied for dead last in all of the FBS in points-per-game.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
By the way not to continue this dumb argument but another thing, in 2009 we were ranked #1 going into the season and were considered national championship contenders. Favorites, in fact. So even though FSU and UGA losing is usually a cause for celebration, it was a little less so under those circumstances, because their losses to other teams negatively impacted our strength of schedule.

It doesn't help our strength of schedule this year either, but strength of schedule doesn't matter as much as it did then. Anyway we're obviously not ranked #1 and nobody's got us penciled in for the playoffs. Plus the Canes aren't on our schedule anyway. So seeing the Noles, Canes and Vols all lose on opening weekend is just pure, unadulterated joy with no asterisks or mitigating factors.

source.gif
Matter of perspective, my friend. I have UGA and FSU family. Their pain and suffering is a 1000 times more delicious to me than Miami, who’s barely on my radar most of the time. #team2009 That said, I HAAAATE Tennessee so that certainly brings this weekend into the mix, at least for me.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It is never a bad thing when the dogs lose. If that somehow affects our ability to make a playoff, it's our own fault. If only any of that mattered this year.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
Awesome weekend. All these rival losses are sweet. I just cant help but think this weekend was too good. A loss to UK next week would destroy that. I just feel we need a couple of convincing wins under our belt to fully enjoy the misery of our rivals.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
This was a great Schadenfreude Weekend. The “blackout” in Tally was especially sweet, and I savored the many shots of dejected face painters.

My take on rivals:

1. Georgia is the rivalry that matters most, most years, since Job #1 is to win the SEC. Historically they spoiled many chances for UF to win the SEC. Now: Beat UGA to win the East. (Ut was of nearly equal importance in the 1990’s, but have slid to 2nd tier.)

2. F$U is the rivalry we have to live with the most. Most of us have family, friends, co-workers etc. from the dark side. It can also have NC implications.

3. scUM is the rival I despise most. I’m glad we don’t play them regularly because they are the nastiest, fakest, rudest bunch there is. The pregame tussle with LSU is just the most recent example. Their fans are so obnoxious but unlike Ut or LSU, they never show up. It’s been better since Richt went back, but not cured.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
It was great when UGA and f$u both lost in 2009, but honestly, we were on top of the football world at the time and those two teams were more of also rans, annoying little step brothers who kept sticking their head in the courting room while you were trying to get some stinky finger from Mary Jane Rottencrotch.

9 years later, we are trying to dig our way out from a 4-7 disaster, 8 years of disaster football, and although our competition was weak on Saturday, we handled them the way we should handle weak competition. UT, UM, and f$u played much better competition on week 1 and ALL three of them got handled. Not just beat. Worked like a rented mule!!

Argue about which team losing is better makes no difference. The fact remains we are arguing about which rival team LOSING is better for UF!!! That's always a good thing. Similar to arguing about which UF national championship was the best one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.