Post Camp Position Grades by Thomas Goldkamp

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet said:
Then your correct answer would be that he is thinking about redshirting him......If he throws this out there now knowing that "high ankle sprains" if there is such a thing can take up to 6 months to cure, he can determine in the next month or so if the kid is ready to play this year. If not he gets a redshirt......
He could also just "popped' his ankle up high,I've done the same and it didn't take that long to heal

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Get off Thomas's back he's there watching and getting paid to give an unbiased opinion of what he see' s. Sorry if you can't accept we have depth problems along our offensive line. It's the scary truth but it is to be expected with the lack of linemen we've signed. I've heard multiple reports we're only about deep yes you can disguise some of your problems tg never said you couldn't he was giving his assessment of our o line. My gosh you guys can be dicks sometimes. Every team has holes why is this so hard to accept?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator;n30992 said:
It's kind of funny, this is TG's opinions, there are others out there that are more positive about the O line and depth. I prefer to link to his stuff because he's a good reporter and because he actually bothers to post here and is very open to answering questions when posed to him.He also really seems to know his stuff and is honest enough to admit when he doesn't know something, also like his writing. I know that he isn't overly fond of Hump and a couple of others but, I do know others are. As Helmet pointed out in another thread there are ways to protect or help an Olineman at times and fortunately we've now got a OC who is smart enough and flexible enough to do just that. One formation that I read about from Zach that they used in practice was lining up with Jones, Taylor and Powell in the backfield with 2 wrs. and the rb's all went out into pass routes, I would think that that is the stuff of nightmares for a DC not to mention a damn good way to slow down a rush.

If I remember last year quite a few didn't live up to their grades. Hopefully that wont be the case this year.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n31009 said:
If I remember last year quite a few didn't live up to their grades. Hopefully that wont be the case this year.
Kinda hard to live up to grades when half the team got an incomplete :)

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n30999 said:
Get off Thomas's back he's there watching and getting paid to give an unbiased opinion of what he see' s. Sorry if you can't accept we have depth problems along our offensive line. It's the scary truth but it is to be expected with the lack of linemen we've signed. I've heard multiple reports we're only about deep yes you can disguise some of your problems tg never said you couldn't he was giving his assessment of our o line. My gosh you guys can be dicks sometimes. Every team has holes why is this so hard to accept?

Are you kidding me T? I hate to remind your azz but I'm the one yesterday who had to explain to you who we had because you like usual had no idea.You didn't know the numbers or even their names, even though it was all over the news you didn't know that Kelleher was out for the season or that Jackson had to retire.I am well aware that we have holes ,so no T it isn't hard for me accept.In fact if you ever bothered to read you'd find out that I've repeatedly said we were light on Olineman and Db's.Unlike you I actually try to find out what the hell I'm talking about,I was never on TG's back, like I said I like his reporting. However I also pointed out that others disagree which is true in no way did I ever disparage him or his reporting.Quite frankly boy I would suggest you go back and repeat 7th grade because you obviously failed reading comprehension.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
sonomagator;n30992 said:
It's kind of funny, this is TG's opinions, there are others out there that are more positive about the O line and depth. I prefer to link to his stuff because he's a good reporter and because he actually bothers to post here and is very open to answering questions when posed to him.He also really seems to know his stuff and is honest enough to admit when he doesn't know something, also like his writing. I know that he isn't overly fond of Hump and a couple of others but, I do know others are. As Helmet pointed out in another thread there are ways to protect or help an Olineman at times and fortunately we've now got a OC who is smart enough and flexible enough to do just that. One formation that I read about from Zach that they used in practice was lining up with Jones, Taylor and Powell in the backfield with 2 wrs. and the rb's all went out into pass routes, I would think that that is the stuff of nightmares for a DC not to mention a damn good way to slow down a rush.

Yeah you're definitely right Fever, I would expect that experience better coaching and more strength training would help.It'll also help us going in uninjured ( except Kelleher) and quite frankly I think that our frosh ( Sharpe and Johnson) especially are an up grade on silberman.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInKnox said:
Gator Fever;n31009 said:
Kinda hard to live up to grades when half the team got an incomplete :)
True dat!

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator;n31016 said:
Are you kidding me T? I hate to remind your azz but I'm the one yesterday who had to explain to you who we had because you like usual had no idea.You didn't know the numbers or even their names, even though it was all over the news you didn't know that Kelleher was out for the season or that Jackson had to retire.I am well aware that we have holes ,so no T it isn't hard for me accept.In fact if you ever bothered to read you'd find out that I've repeatedly said we were light on Olineman and Db's.Unlike you I actually try to find out what the hell I'm talking about,I was never on TG's back, like I said I like his reporting. However I also pointed out that others disagree which is true in no way did I ever disparage him or his reporting.Quite frankly boy I would suggest you go back and repeat 7th grade because you obviously failed reading comprehension.

:thumbup:

Well said!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n30978 said:
They pumpers sure are an angry bunch.

Yeah, they really don't pump much sunshine, do they?

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n31030 said:
Yeah, they really don't pump much sunshine, do they?

Chevy-Piercegiddyworkingoneout.gif

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator;n31016 said:

I will be honest I only read the first sentence and assumed you and concrete helmet were pretty much bashing our local insider. He went on some long rant on another thread. I apologize. And yes I remember you telling me about Jackson .:bob:

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Here's the thing I've never really understood about offensive linemen....... Why is it that one, big strong athletic guy can be good at being an offensive lineman and another big, strong athletic guy sucks at it? Same size, same strength, etc. I mean, offensive line is basically using your leverage and strength to go mano a mano against a defensive lineman. It's not really all that complicated or elegant. Just hold off or shove a guy out of the way. So why the hell does it seem so difficult for some of our guys to master? Unless we have recruited skinny weak linemen (which based on their size and weight lifting records they don't appear to be) there should be parity and depth all across the offensive line. There shouldn't be such a drop off from first to second string.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So with the offense getting A's and B's pretty much across the board, does that mean we are expecting to score 30+ per game?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think it's just that. Our last few high rated I lineman: Patchen, Nixon, and DJ were each about 250 lbs coming in. Look at all the recruits over the last 2 years. 300+

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
There is a lot more to the OL then being big, strong, and athletic. You have to keep someone who is slightly less big, usually more athletic, and around the same strength from getting away from you, without "holding" or taking too long if it is a run play. It is the little things like a proper kick-step with your shoulders square, or a bone crushing hands open punch to the center of mass of a D lineman to stop his momentum, that takes time to master. It's not enough to be talented, you have to think on your feet with pre/post snap reads while still playing fast. It takes repetition to the point of it becoming second nature to become successful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.