Power 5 to separate?

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
There is a big NCAA convention this weekend in DC. I'm privy to info that the power 5 may or will form their own division and have control over what they do to a point. The vote goes down Sunday. This could drastically change college athletics. As Ox says, discuss.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This would be good with me. Could you imagine if the power 5 separated and each team had to play an 8 game conference schedule. Also each team had to schedule a with a game team from each conference. Every conference had to have a championship game and they could have their own form of authority and get rid of the ****ty ncaa.

BoomTown

Founding Member
Mc's Red Headed Stepchild
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If they had any sense they'd kick the NCAA to the curb, dissolve the "little not quite 12", create 4 16 team conferences with 2 divisions each, require all schools to only play other Power 4 schools, have the conference championship games be the Round of 8 and crown a true National Champion without polls, boards, and beauty contests determining who gets left out. It's the next logical step and would roll bank to these schools like nothing before. The left out 1-A schools can form their own league and use the lesser bowls as their own NIAA-like tourney to crown a champion.

For those that think All Cup Cakes should be the one dissolved, despite their weak teams, they are a better operated conference with more teams presently. The not quite 12 is also in the middle of the country so it makes more sense to spread their teams out. You can't put a team from North Carolina in the PAC-12. Besides, every league needs an NFC South.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I think basketball would be the most interesting change. At the moment 64 teams make up the power 5. Do they allow all 64 or cut it to 32? Or have the conference champs square off?

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
MidwestChomp;151797 said:
I think basketball would be the most interesting change. At the moment 64 teams make up the power 5. Do they allow all 64 or cut it to 32? Or have the conference champs square off?
So Kentucky would be able to have a three team rotation?

Amazin1

Finally found my way home
Jan 10, 2015
BoomTown;n151785 said:
If they had any sense they'd kick the NCAA to the curb, dissolve the "little not quite 12", create 4 16 team conferences with 2 divisions each, require all schools to only play other Power 4 schools, have the conference championship games be the Round of 8 and crown a true National Champion without polls, boards, and beauty contests determining who gets left out. It's the next logical step and would roll bank to these schools like nothing before. The left out 1-A schools can form their own league and use the lesser bowls as their own NIAA-like tourney to crown a champion.

For those that think All Cup Cakes should be the one dissolved, despite their weak teams, they are a better operated conference with more teams presently. The not quite 12 is also in the middle of the country so it makes more sense to spread their teams out. You can't put a team from North Carolina in the PAC-12. Besides, every league needs an NFC South.
Damn Boom, get out of my head. That is almost word for word what i was telling one of my buddies...

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That would totally suck for a lot of mid level schools who aren't in those 5 conferences. Every year it seems as if at least one or two schools not in a top 5 conference prove that they belong in the top 25. Only because of decisions made 50 or 60 years ago would schools like Vandy, Indiana, Illinois, Washington State, Wake Forest, etc, benefit even though they are in the same talent category or worse than a bunch of other school not fortunate enough to be in the power 5. I don't know if it's good or bad for college football.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n151951 said:
That would totally suck for a lot of mid level schools who aren't in those 5 conferences. Every year it seems as if at least one or two schools not in a top 5 conference prove that they belong in the top 25. Only because of decisions made 50 or 60 years ago would schools like Vandy, Indiana, Illinois, Washington State, Wake Forest, etc, benefit even though they are in the same talent category or worse than a bunch of other school not fortunate enough to be in the power 5. I don't know if it's good or bad for college football.

It's not good for college football. It's good (monetarily) for the schools in the power 5 conferences and potentially disastrous for the rest. I would bet the vote doesn't pass right now, but it's only a matter of time before it happens. You really can't blame the schools for wanting to leave that dysfunctional organization known as the NCAA.

BoomTown

Founding Member
Mc's Red Headed Stepchild
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n151951 said:
So take the soccer approach. Align each mid-level conference with a Power "4" conference. Biggest loser in each Power 4 gets demoted and winner of the aligned mid-level conference gets bumped up the following season. After a few seasons the Vandys and Wake Forests of the World are where they should have been 40 years ago and the tough little kids get a shot at the big times.

If you did that based on this past season you'd trade:
ACC: Syracuse for Memphis
B1G: Purdue for N Illinois
P12: Colorado for Boise State
SEC: Vandy for Marshall
Sounds like pretty good trades to me and would probably drive up competition in both leagues.

BTW, there are 64 teams in the Power 5 so it's ripe for the realignment. (That's 4*16 = 64 for the nole lurkers)

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
It won't pass, but would destroy all other sports besides football if it did pass.

ShadowGator

Broken
Oct 24, 2014
This has been talked about and hinted at for the last year or so, hardly newsworthy really until they actually do something.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Okay, so this would solve the financial piece but what about the giant elephant in the room?

I would be for this change if, and I stress if, they dissolved the NCAA and created and enforced their own rules. Each school would have to officially sign off on the rules and the investigative process. That is, this new association would have subpoena power to ensure actual compliance. Crazy Idea I know but one that MUST happen. This would include punitive actions against the offending schools and their coaches. If you (schools and coaches) are going to make so much money, you will have to pay the price for cheating. For example, no more Bama boosters supplying cars, apartments, etc. to half the team. If it happens, Saban and the school take the hit, not the players. You want to stop cheating? Implement stringent financial penalties to the coaches and schools and you will eliminate it.

You have read my ranting on this before, I am tired of being the "good school" that plays by the rules while competing amongst the biggest cheaters in the country. I won't name any names...Bama, Auburn, FSU, Miami.....

We have Miami wining and dining recruits with no punishment
We have North Carolina making a mockery of academics
We have FSU controlling the local police

We have nothing being done about any of these. Why do we continue to pretend?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Double Gator Dad;n152183 said:
Okay, so this would solve the financial piece but what about the giant elephant in the room?

I would be for this change if, and I stress if, they dissolved the NCAA and created and enforced their own rules. Each school would have to officially sign off on the rules and the investigative process. That is, this new association would have subpoena power to ensure actual compliance. Crazy Idea I know but one that MUST happen. This would include punitive actions against the offending schools and their coaches. If you (schools and coaches) are going to make so much money, you will have to pay the price for cheating. For example, no more Bama boosters supplying cars, apartments, etc. to half the team. If it happens, Saban and the school take the hit, not the players. You want to stop cheating? Implement stringent financial penalties to the coaches and schools and you will eliminate it.

You have read my ranting on this before, I am tired of being the "good school" that plays by the rules while competing amongst the biggest cheaters in the country. I won't name any names...Bama, Auburn, FSU, Miami.....

We have Miami wining and dining recruits with no punishment
We have North Carolina making a mockery of academics
We have FSU controlling the local police

We have nothing being done about any of these. Why do we continue to pretend?

Why would those schools choose to leave the NCAA to force themselves to play by the new rules?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;152418 said:
Why would those schools choose to leave the NCAA to force themselves to play by the new rules?

Money? :dunno:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n152418 said:
Because they could get rid of some of the bull**** rules that the ncaa enforce

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator