Power 5 to separate?

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Double Gator Dad;n152183 said:
Okay, so this would solve the financial piece but what about the giant elephant in the room?

I would be for this change if, and I stress if, they dissolved the NCAA and created and enforced their own rules. Each school would have to officially sign off on the rules and the investigative process. That is, this new association would have subpoena power to ensure actual compliance. Crazy Idea I know but one that MUST happen. This would include punitive actions against the offending schools and their coaches. If you (schools and coaches) are going to make so much money, you will have to pay the price for cheating. For example, no more Bama boosters supplying cars, apartments, etc. to half the team. If it happens, Saban and the school take the hit, not the players. You want to stop cheating? Implement stringent financial penalties to the coaches and schools and you will eliminate it.

You have read my ranting on this before, I am tired of being the "good school" that plays by the rules while competing amongst the biggest cheaters in the country. I won't name any names...Bama, Auburn, FSU, Miami.....

We have Miami wining and dining recruits with no punishment
We have North Carolina making a mockery of academics
We have FSU controlling the local police

We have nothing being done about any of these. Why do we continue to pretend?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought only government agencies had subpoena power.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n153021 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought only government agencies had subpoena power.
Well, it's semantics really. NCAA could make forced compliance as a requirement of membership... if they actually cared about "The Elephant in the Room."

It's also not particularly difficult to get public records say of all the tickets written to Bammer players and take note of how many own Escalades and Bimmers they are driving, or check public records of how many suddenly buy a huge house two weeks after NSD... then compare it to our guys getting hassled on their scooters. Any decent investigator could put the pieces together.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Some time ago I heard a local college sports official indicate that the NCAA regulates which foods can be provided and which are illegal. These sorts of regulations are why there is a movement away from them being in charge. Bagels were forbidden.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Vulcan you're correct. My sister ran track in college. If I remember correctly, she said the school could provide bagels but not cream cheese. It's rules like this that leave you scratching your head.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Bama acting before scholarships can't be revoked.

Posted by Kevin McGuire on January 18, 2015, 3:51 PM EST Two members of Alabama’s offense are no longer associated with the program. According to a report from BamaOnline.com, running back Altee Tenpenny and tight end Malcolm Faciane are no longer a part of the program, nor are either expected to be on the roster in 2015.
The reasons for the players no longer being associated with the team are unknown. Whether these are decisions by the players or by the coaching staff is unknown.
Neither player had an impact on Alabama’s offense since arriving on campus (Tenpenny in 2013 and Faciane in 2011), and it was not likely either would have had a significant role with the team in the fall either. Tenpenny would have been lost in the deep pool of running back talent at Alabama and Faciane has not managed to break into a role yet.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n153466 said:
Power 5 agrees to pay stipends. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...utonomy-begins

What's next? The obvious next step is to expand the rosters. It's time to fully overthrow the bonds that the lil smurf schools placed on us.
This was a dumb move. I don't get it, schools like bama will figure out a way to funnel cash under the table. Don't they realize these players need college football just as much if not more than college football needs them?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
MidwestChomp;n153940 said:
But now they don't have to funnel "illegally."
Yea, college football just got dirtier

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Bammer doesn't pay $4000. Hell they paid $200,000 for linemen in the 80s.

The bottom line is if we have to keep some of these "athletes" for 4 years despite their obvious lack of skill and/or interest in playing 1A football, we need more schollies. Hell, we don't have enough depth right now to play a spring game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.