Predicting Florida's 2017 Record

If Will Grier is never suspended, is Butters still head coach in 2018?

• Yes

Votes: 55 59.1%
  • No

Votes: 38 40.9%

• Total voters

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Like I said, for the fans, it won't be good enough. This is year 3. This should be the year that any coaching staff should make gains IF they are going to make gains, no matter where the first 2 years were.
8-4 is enough to grant a 4th year (as far as the school goes, not the fans), I'm pretty sure 7-5 is good enough to not be fired until next season. 7-5 starts a serious search though, but you said not to talk about that in your first post :lol:

8-4 and the fans will be hot...and rightfully so.

Personally, if LDR starts, Mac is as good as gone. However, Franks starting could make all the difference. (Maybe even Zaire, but that's up in the air again), but I'd rather let Franks loose.
I want to expect 9-3, with 10-2 and 8-4 not being out of the possibility depending on how things shake out. It all hinges on the QB.
I want no more part of single season band-aids barely containing the offensive hemoraging weve been experiencing for so long. If we are gonna continue to blow ass when we have the football in our hands I'd prefer to blow ass with guys that are part of the future plan for the team (at least future as it stands now). One of the redshirts needs to be given the reigns and Mac needs to anti up and show us what he's got.

I agree with you; if LDR is in there, Mac is a dead man walking. If we finish 8-4 or 7-5 he'll get another painful year where all the fans will be between begrudingly watching to mostly checked out. He'd be done in the long run though unless he pulled a miracle championship level season out of his behind in year 4 and considering 3 straight mehh seasons, the chances of a 10+ win season in year 4 would be about nill.

This is the make or break year... worse than 7-5 he gone... 7-5 he could stay or go depending on how it plays out. Some tough close losses to good teams where we were competitive and came close to winning and he survives. 7-5 with 2 or 3 more blowouts and another sodomozing at the hands of our big rivals to close out the year and he very well may be canned after fsu. 8-4 he survives another year but its as good as done. He needs no less than 9 wins and serious, sustained improvement on offense with no worse than marginal defensive drop off this season or hes done. Less than 9 wins and its not a question of if, its jsut a question of when.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I want no more part of single season band-aids barely containing the offensive hemoraging weve been experiencing for so long. If we are gonna continue to blow ass when we have the football in our hands I'd prefer to blow ass with guys that are part of the future plan for the team (at least future as it stands now). One of the redshirts needs to be given the reigns and Mac needs to anti up and show us what he's got.

I agree with you; if LDR is in there, Mac is a dead man walking. If we finish 8-4 or 7-5 he'll get another painful year where all the fans will be between begrudingly watching to mostly checked out. He'd be done in the long run though unless he pulled a miracle championship level season out of his behind in year 4 and considering 3 straight mehh seasons, the chances of a 10+ win season in year 4 would be about nill.

This is the make or break year... worse than 7-5 he gone... 7-5 he could stay or go depending on how it plays out. Some tough close losses to good teams where we were competitive and came close to winning and he survives. 7-5 with 2 or 3 more blowouts and another sodomozing at the hands of our big rivals to close out the year and he very well may be canned after fsu. 8-4 he survives another year but its as good as done. He needs no less than 9 wins and serious, sustained improvement on offense with no worse than marginal defensive drop off this season or hes done. Less than 9 wins and its not a question of if, its jsut a question of when.
Exactly.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

I agree with you; if LDR is in there, Mac is a dead man walking.

I think he believes we don't have much at QB in reality (at least as far as this year goes) and that is why he is after Zaire. I think Mac is scared as heck if he puts Franks out there against that Michigan defense (that blitzes literally every likely passing down unless you burn them multiple times) that he might have a meltdown that would affect him the rest of the year. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts LDR that game if Zaire doesn't come here so he could switch to Franks after the loss so he can get his first playing time against a cupcake. Mac would take some heat off himself by going to Franks from LDR if we did lose that first game with a crappy offense.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think Mac is scared as heck if he puts Franks out there against that Michigan defense (that blitzes literally every likely passing down unless you burn them multiple times) that he might have a meltdown that would affect him the rest of the year.
No, it's the fact that there is literally NOTHING behind him, if Franks is ever hurt, season is over.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We will be like 6 deep at QB going into the season. How many teams can say that? :D
Allen isn't ready no matter what team he is on..he'll be redshirting.
Toney is not a QB, I think he needs to be on the field, but he's not a starting or fulltime QB.
That leaves Franks, Trask and LDR. Are you counting Nick Sproles? Kid is practice squad is he not?
Unless Zaire is on the roster, he isn't here.
And so long as he's not here, there is no one behind Franks. That's on Mac.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds like 8-4 seems to be the average between the optimists and the pessimists. So here's the next question...

We go 8-4, and then what? Is the consensus at this point that 8-4 is good enough for another year of mac? I'm not asking whether you think it will actually result in another year; Im asking you if you think it "should."

I think it depends on how bad those 4 loses are. Close, high-scoring games aren't as bad as getting blown out 4 times with a struggling offense, which is essentially what happened in every loss last year. This team has too many issues to win 10 games (see 2007 season with the Heisman winner). The best way to measure improvement this year is: 1) Do we have a significantly improved offense? and 2) Is it still a close game late in the 4th quarter when we lose?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I think it depends on how bad those 4 loses are. Close, high-scoring games aren't as bad as getting blown out 4 times with a struggling offense, which is essentially what happened in every loss last year. This team has too many issues to win 10 games (see 2007 season with the Heisman winner). The best way to measure improvement this year is: 1) Do we have a significantly improved offense? and 2) Is it still a close game late in the 4th quarter when we lose?

I don't quite agree, but I think you are on the right track. If those 4 losses are 17-13 and UF finishes with a 100+ ranked offense yet again, then 8-4 will not be good enough. If those 4 loses are 45-31, then though not as close, I think the perception will be better.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
The defense takes a step back for sure and we all hope somehow the offense wakes up.

That really sounds like a recipe for ATL and beyond.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The defense takes a step back for sure and we all hope somehow the offense wakes up.

That really sounds like a recipe for ATL and beyond.
All depends on how bad UT and UGA are. We'll more than likely go 0-2 against the West.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
LSU is a real possibility.
While the aggies won't be a pushover, I think they are a little overrated.
They lose some of their strength on defense, and reality is, that defense gave up a lot of points last year too.

Now, I will say this, if we have a defensive breakdown, or have a lot of injuries on defense by that game, they they'll win for sure. I'm assuming we are healthy when I say we should beat them.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
7-5..... maybe 6-6.
Give or take a game either way depending if the defense gels....There are several reasons we end up above .500.....Jones, Smart, Chump and Mason will help the cause....We could end up 7-5 and still win the East...:lol:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds like 8-4 seems to be the average between the optimists and the pessimists. So here's the next question...

We go 8-4, and then what? Is the consensus at this point that 8-4 is good enough for another year of mac? I'm not asking whether you think it will actually result in another year; Im asking you if you think it "should."
8-4 with a good offense and a win against fsu is fine with me.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
LSU is a real possibility.
While the aggies won't be a pushover, I think they are a little overrated.
They lose some of their strength on defense, and reality is, that defense gave up a lot of points last year too.

Now, I will say this, if we have a defensive breakdown, or have a lot of injuries on defense by that game, they they'll win for sure. I'm assuming we are healthy when I say we should beat them.
Their defense isn't any worse than north trxas or umass. But their offense can usually score and we're gonna have a young secondary and a very young db coach. That's a game i could see us losing.I do feel better that it's at home though.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Lose the opener, play well until the season finale, only losing 1, then the usual pile of warm manure losing to FSU and Bammer in the SECC game yet again. 9-4, then win the Outback, Citrus, or Gator Bowl and crow about another 10 win season.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If we somehow lost to Michigan and Tenn to open the season all hell would break loose and Mac would have a very hot seat.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Well we lost two regular season games in 2015 and three in 2016. Trends would say we lose four in 2917. However i'm not a trendy guy. I like Shannon and think he will bring the D to a higher cohesive level. "TrustintheShannon. Secondary has some question marks but are there any SEC QBs to be truly afraid of are there. Georgia could give us trouble but I don't expect them to be any different that last year.
But look at the offense.. Davis has remolded the oline into a lean mean fighting machine and I can' wait to see them in action - I always said the three most important groups in the field is Oline, Oline, oline.
Some argue we have the best in the WR's league. Now add Massey and Kadarius to the equation and we've got some options in the huddle. Not to mention some good RBs. Rushing will improve and passing has no where to go but up.

I think we blow out Meatchicken.
Take care of whichever UT team shows up (Jekyl or Hyde)
@Kentucky is always weakest at the beginning of the year
Vandy an old fashioned blowout win for the good guys
LSU - we beat them last year no reason not to beat the this year
TexasAM.- West teams that we don't play often bother but we've go them at home
UGA - Same **** different year. Kirby didn't show me anything last year other than inconsistent play - Ill pencil this win in
@Missouri - barring we **** the bed that's a win
@ South Carolina - Another bothersome game, 2nd away game, injuries will prolly show up by then... Who am I kidding DubsChump will find a way to lose.
Could easily see us with no losses/maybe one at this point.
Then F$U - who the **** knows? Till we win one I'll concede it
So I saying 10-2 regular season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.