Prepare to have your minds blown.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by NavetG8r, Nov 13, 2017.

1. NavetG8r

NavetG8r Stupid

Oxbucks:
    $538
    Ratings:
    +9,371 / -62
    You all know how I feel about cannabis, but I'm not cool with this. In combat? No! After work at home instead of alcohol? No problem from me, but not "in combat" or "on duty".

2. Scott512

Scott512 Senior Member

Oxbucks:
    $30
    Ratings:
    +733 / -10
    My first thought is no. But I want to give it time to sink in.

3. Gator Fever

Gator Fever Senior Member

Oxbucks:
    $105
    Ratings:
    +4,080 / -58
    I don't think anyone subject to combat should even be taking some of those real strong pain meds like oxycontin unless they are on a profile where they wouldn't be called to fight at that time.

4. NavetG8r

NavetG8r Stupid

Oxbucks:
    $538
    Ratings:
    +9,371 / -62
    Absolutely. Your head needs to be clear and sharp for combat!

5. Windy City Gator

Windy City Gator Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $40
    Ratings:
    +114 / -18
    I have never served in the military and have HIGH respect for those who have....I am not going to give my opinion if they should or should not....that decision should be made by those who are and/or have served. If you have not served in combat, your opinion means NOTHING. Just like I have no say in if YOU smoke weed at your work, since I have (most likely) never done your job.

6. g8tr72

g8tr72 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $111
    Ratings:
    +2,945 / -7
    I'm curious as to why you have this opinion.

Why not?

7. TLB

TLB Fall is here
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $103
    Ratings:
    +2,586 / -33
    So, let's step back and ask where this is coming from. How many of the current and future generations smoke pot? A lot. And how many of them grew up smoking pot at home while playing FPS video games? A lot. This is just the natural transition from free training of future military personnel in their youth by PS4 and Xbox into America's fighting future. Cut them off as adults once they enlist and they are likely to get antsy.

:grin:

8. GatorTruth133

GatorTruth133 Fred Taylor Once Said I Knew Gator Trivia Too Fast

Oxbucks:
    $40
    Ratings:
    +207 / -0
    I always find this take interesting. The you can't say anything about the military unless you've been in it routine. I think public opinion should mean something. I mean, let's use that logic to other taxpayer funded occupations. Don't comment on teaching/education unless you are a teacher or admin. Don't comment on Police officers unless you've been one. Don't comment on politicians, unless you've been one.

I do want to stop anyone before they say I have no respect for the military by taking on the logic above. I respect the military, I have two grandfathers who were in the Navy in WWII and beyond. I have two brother-in-laws in the Army and have gone on several tours. My brother is a Marine. Not one of them has or would use the logic.

Now, I'm not sure how I feel one way or another. I think it's situational. I think Navetg8r indirectly comparing it to alcohol is a good analogy as both have ways of impairing a person.

9. NavetG8r

NavetG8r Stupid

Oxbucks:
    $538
    Ratings:
    +9,371 / -62
    It dulls your mind. Just like any other drug. While intoxicated on it, you are not at 100% peak performance. In combat, and on duty, military personnel need to be in 100% peak performance. That should be self explanatory I would think...

10. diehardg8r

diehardg8r Junior Member

Oxbucks:
    $77
    Ratings:
    +1,951 / -30
    Yeah, sounds bout right. I mean, it would at least make it more understandable the next time a destroyer runs into a tanker in the middle of the ocean and kills a bunch of sailors. Otherwise, HORRIBLE idea.

11. Windy City Gator

Windy City Gator Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $40
    Ratings:
    +114 / -18
    Another point, medical cannabis is different than the dime bag you buy near the Swap Shop on Sunrise Blvd (anyone who grew up in Broward Co knows what I am talking about...LOL) ....many strains of medical cannabis have a lower concentration of THC, which is the part that gets you "high". To lump all cannabis into the weed strains that get you high or buy on the streets is to be uninformed. My wife has had six back surgeries, and unfortunately, she does not qualify for medical marijuana in Illinois, which is sooooo stupid! Since I am not a medical doctor, nor have I played one on TV, I honestly cannot say the difference between let's say Xanax vs. Medical Marijuana, nor do I know if those fine military men and women are taking something like Xanax while on active duty.....

12. NavetG8r

NavetG8r Stupid

Oxbucks:
    $538
    Ratings:
    +9,371 / -62
    Your information is somewhat inaccurate, but I can understand where you went wrong in your understanding of medicinal cannabis. Medical cannabis in general is every bit as potent as your street corner drug dealer's bags. Often times, even more potent. Where you're going wrong is confusing CBD strains as "medical cannabis". While the CBD strains most definitely ARE medical cannabis, and were specifically bred and crossed to reduce the amount of THC and have a higher % of CBD, they are still by far the minority of strains available as medical cannabis today. A few states do have CBD only medical cannabis laws, so you may be speaking from the perspective of a person in one of those states, if so, I definitely understand why you would be misinformed on the subject. Most states with medical cannabis laws do not restrict the availability to CBD strains only. Many medical cannabis strains available in the states where it's legal can have up to 30% THC. Those are affectionately known to the cannabis community as "one hit quitters". Unlike the false claims by cannabis fear mongers, most medical cannabis users don't smoke cannabis until they're so stoned they can't get out of the couch. They prefer to medicate in small doses to reach the level of comfort they desire, and then get on with their day. May I make a suggestion? Get on youtube and search "weedtube". You might learn something.

13. divits

divits A Muffin of the Studly Variety
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $170
    Ratings:
    +7,368 / -23
    What a total crock of $h!t.

I'm a brain surgeon and I want to get high before I operate. Your opinion means NOTHING.

14. GatorTruth133

GatorTruth133 Fred Taylor Once Said I Knew Gator Trivia Too Fast

Oxbucks:
    $40
    Ratings:
    +207 / -0
    Just because I'm relatively new, and I do get your point (and I agree), but are you really a brain surgeon? Yes, I'm a curious person who is interested in the different walks of life posters come from

15. divits

divits A Muffin of the Studly Variety
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $170
    Ratings:
    +7,368 / -23
    Welcome, and gosh no, I'm not a brain surgeon. Just me being in this nut house should be testament to that. :lol:

Although I did spend a lot of time selling stuff to them in the OR. And no, I never saw any of them getting high beforehand.

16. Detroitgator

Detroitgator General Factotum
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $80
    Ratings:
    +6,629 / -9
    I agree with you. I think input/comment is fine, but for final decisions, there should be only one question: "Does this improve or degrade the ability to fight and what's the impact?" That simple, for anything.

Hell, the Germans dropped 10 million tabs of crystal meth (Pervitin) a month for their soldiers in WW II.

17. Taco Gratis

Taco Gratis Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $17
    Ratings:
    +1,550 / -21