Professor HBC - Spurrier Guest Lectures Class

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If only this was part of my senior year curriculum when I was there!

http://floridagators.com/news/2017/...purrier-lectures-part-of-trsm-curriculum.aspx

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — First things first. Ground rules needed to be established. One, especially.

"Please, no videoing," Steve Spurrier told an audience of 90-some University of Florida seniors Tuesday afternoon. "This is just secret stuff, for you people."

And, with that, the UF icon proceeded to open a treasure trove of the very things that made him one of college football's all-time masterminds. Spurrier, 72, has had many labels attached to him over his decorated career; from "Heisman Trophy winner" to "Head Ball Coach," from "Steve Superior" to "Evil Genius" and, most recently, "Ambassador of UF Athletics."

Now, for kicks, let's add "Professor HBC."

It was over the summer that Spurrier reached out to faculty at the College of Health and Human Performance and asked if they would be interested in involving him in the curriculum. The answer was an easy one. Spurrier, the winningest coach in Florida history, was tabbed to give a series of four lectures to Dr. Doug DeMichele's "Field Experience" class, a senior-year requirement for Tourism, Recreation and Sports Management majors.

The topic: Winners & Losers.

"It was powerful," DeMichele said.

Spurrier came prepared. This was the first time he'd served as a classroom lecturer, but as Spurrier pointed out before taking the floor, it wasn't going to be much different than one of his public-speaking engagements, and he's done hundreds.

After a brief introduction with credentials, courtesy of Gainesville Sun sports columnist Pat Dooley, Spurrier had a microphone pinned to his shirt and gave a brief personal intro of his own that focused on his early days in the coaching profession. His first big break came when hired as offensive coordinator at Duke, a post he was advised to avoid because no would could win at Duke. He did.

s8LjgL.jpg

"Professor HBC"

That story led to another. And another.

The greatest coaches, the truly generational ones, somewhere along the way have been moved by words. They all know John Wooden's "Pyramid of Success" — and should, it's a staple and must for the motivational genre— but usually there's a book that truly struck a chord.

For Spurrier, one was "The Leadership Secrets of Attila the Hun." Seriously.

Attila was one of the most feared world conquerers in history, Spurrier explained, during his reign nearly 2,000 years ago.

"Back then they had just one sport — war," Spurrier said. "You were either really good at it or you died."

Once, when one of Attila's generals was killed in battle, Spurrier continued, he went looking for a replacement. Attila tabbed one of his officers as the heir apparent and ordered him to train a group of 11-year-old girls how to march in line. Do that, Attila said, and the officer would prove worthy of the generalship. The next day, the officer came back and said the little girls wouldn't listen to him. They giggled too much. He couldn't do it.

"Attila said, "You can't do it? Oh, OK, then you can just go over there to the guillotine and get your head chopped off,' " Spurrier said. "Then Attila, he went to the next guy and asked him if he could do it. Guess what?"

The next guy did it because he had to.

And that, Spurrier said, was why he succeeded. He had to.
Armed with an overhead projector and a folder of notes, Spurrier treated the students to some of his greatest hits, as far as favorite sayings, quotes and proverbs. The truly educated Spurrier fan could have matched every one to some moment of his career.

A winner makes commitments.
A loser makes promises.

A winner makes mistakes and says, "I was wrong."
A loser makes mistakes and says, "It wasn't my fault."

A winner shows he's sorry by making up for it.
A loser says I'm sorry and does the same thing the next time.

While head coaching at Duke in 1987, his team led Maryland by 16 points with less than seven minutes to play, only to lose 23-22 because the Terrapins scored two touchdowns and two two-point conversions down the stretch. Spurrier blamed himself afterward for going conservative near the end zone and settling for field goals.

"My [Athletic Director] asked me after the game why we'd pass the ball up and down the field, then run the ball into a wall of tacklers when we got down there near the goal line," Spurrier recalled. "I told him, 'Because I'm a dumbass.' And I never did that again."

A winner listens.
A loser waits his turn to talk.

A winner feels strong enough to be gentle.
A loser is never gentle — he is either weak or pettily tyrannous by turns.

A winner says there ought to be a better way.
A loser says, "That's the way it's always been done here."

In 1990, Spurrier's first season upon returning to his alma mater to coach the Gators, the UF freshmen reported for school and some of the seniors began readying for the annual ritual of shaving the rookies' heads. Spurrier got word and immediately nixed it.

"We're not doing that [hazing] crap anymore," he ordered.

"But Coach," the seniors insisted. "It's a tradition."

Spurrier wasn't impressed.

"Yeah, and so is getting on a bus every year and going to Jacksonville and getting our asses beat by Georgia," he shot back. "We're going to make some new traditions around here."

Spurrier, of course, went 11-1 against the Bulldogs, with wins in the series keys to capturing seven Southeastern Conference titles along the way. Before Spurrier arrived, the Gators had won zero SEC championships.

These sayings, tied to real-life stories of success, were followed by some of Spurrier's all-time favorite quotes from the likes of Calvin Coolidge, Gen. George Patton, Sir Francis Drake, Abraham Lincoln, Vince Lombardi and Aristotle.

"Most people see things the way they are and ask, 'Why?' But I dream of things that never were and ask, 'Why not?' " — George Bernard Shaw.

QSaCch.jpg

Dr. Doug DeMichele's "Field Experience" class of seniors got a photo op with their guest lecturer.

What an incredible opportunity for these young people about to enter the real world to get in the mind of a legend renowned for his success. For winning.

"I think he's genuinely interested in helping these students," DeMichele said. "Everything he shared are statements that were made by other folks who were winners. His message was that in whatever discipline you choose, you have an opportunity to be a winner, but you have to be passionate about it. You have to have that internal passion."

Clearly, the messenger had it.

"He's a hero of mine, so this was awesome," said Michael Smith, who was locked in from his back-row seat. "The quotes definitely hit home. Just knowing what he's done in the past, I can tell they had a profound impact on him as both a player and a coach. And I think they can be applied to whatever you do."

Emily Bortz, from Orlando, had a front-row seat.

"When he says something, I take it to heart because he has been so successful and he chose to come back here because his heart was with Florida," she said. "I wrote so many of those things down because, sometimes, I get discouraged. I don't want to say I make excuses, but sometimes I do — and winners don't. Who doesn't want to be a winner in life?"

Spurrier will be back for similar chats each of the next three weeks. Coming soon: HIs interpretation of Sun Tzu's "The Art of War."

Too bad video isn't allowed.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
So much good stuff in there. I liked this one

"My [Athletic Director] asked me after the game why we'd pass the ball up and down the field, then run the ball into a wall of tacklers when we got down there near the goal line," Spurrier recalled. "I told him, 'Because I'm a dumbass.' And I never did that again."

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
"Yeah, and so is getting on a bus every year and going to Jacksonville and getting our asses beat by Georgia," he shot back. "We're going to make some new traditions around here."

Spurrier... Don't we all wish we had another just like him.

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
I wish I could've invited him as a guest speaker for my Leadership course at UF. Sigh.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So much good stuff in there. I liked this one

you beat me to it. next question why does Butters try to do it all the way down the field?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
"We're not doing that [hazing] crap anymore," he ordered.

"But Coach," the seniors insisted. "It's a tradition."

Spurrier wasn't impressed.

I would pay good money to sit in those lectures...........my college he is teaching in,...........just a few years to late.
The man hated to lose. He was smart. He cut through BS like a knife through jello and he kept it simple. Once in a lifetime player and coach. Spoiled the youngsters............Back in the day when suffering (before SOS) we kept going to games and took joy in great players like Jimmy Dubose, or Scott Brantley or Emmitt or Tony Green or many of the great defensive players. None won titles but they showed us greatness. We have some kids like that play with heart. The big DL that chases plays till the end. THe fr RB who is a joy to watch. Winning is the best. But great play by good players is something to enjoy. I have 9 year olds that throw fits if they lose or mess up. Im like "fellas, we are outside playing, not in that desk doing fractions or wksheets...........chill"

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What an experience that would be...the winners/losers quotes sure sound a lot like him vs butters

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Damn and all I had was Sonny Tillman's brother for an English class. Didn't even provide any BBQ.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
After reading this over a few times, it's no wonder Spurrier was successful. He hated losing and thrived on being the best. All coaches should read this and take it to heart. What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over when it doesn't work? That ain't SOS.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It took SOS six years to start using the shotgun though.

He was pretty stubborn too.

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
It took SOS six years to start using the shotgun though.

He was pretty stubborn too.

I don't look at it this way at all. I say it took the rest of college football to figure him out somewhat, then he changes his philosophy about the shotgun, implements it and continues to shred up defenses.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

Spurrier, of course, went 11-1 against the Bulldogs, ...

This.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
... and the opposite of the SOS universe is the Mac orbit... geez

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online