Proposal: Redshirting players to be allowed to play in bowl game

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Remember when there were rumors Franks was going to play in the bowl game?

The AFCA is on board with allowing redshirting players to play in bowl games.

Whether or not you think players skipping a bowl game will actually become a trend, it’s an interesting idea, and would bring a little more interest for bowls. The AFCA is submitting a proposal to the NCAA.

“One could argue that (playing redshirts) is not what the bowl games are for,” AFCA executive director Todd Berry told Fox Sports. “Well, it is now. We lost this idea that every bowl game mattered a long time ago.”

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I wonder if it shouldn't happen in the playoff games, but as for the rest of the bowls it should absolutely be allowed without burning the shirt.
I suppose it wouldn't matter all that much in the playoffs either because what is the likelyhood that those teams are going to need to use a redshirt freshman, probably very slim.

I really don't see a reason why it shouldn't be allowed.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I wonder if it shouldn't happen in the playoff games, but as for the rest of the bowls it should absolutely be allowed without burning the shirt.
I suppose it wouldn't matter all that much in the playoffs either because what is the likelyhood that those teams are going to need to use a redshirt freshman, probably very slim.

I really don't see a reason why it shouldn't be allowed.

I agree, but to play devil's advocate: why? because they are redshirting THIS season and if they play in a bowl game they will have played THIS season. So I could see the argument against.

Also, on the discussion of "why would they need a freshman to play?" Well, injuries. Or, say the kid showed drastic improvement from the time he arrived on campus through the 8th, 9th, 10th game and they feel he could be an asset.

One other discussion that's been tossed around is letting true freshman play 3 or 4 games and still taking a redshirt....but they could play in Game 1, Game 5, Game 9 & 12....not just the first part of the season - as long as they don't play more than 3 (or maybe 4) games (I can't recall if it was 3 or 4 games). Anyhow, I like this rule a lot. We usually play a weakling in Game 11 (before FSU). This would be a great opportunity to play a bunch of freshman.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree, but to play devil's advocate: why? because they are redshirting THIS season and if they play in a bowl game they will have played THIS season. So I could see the argument against.

Most bowl games that are watchable are after the fall term, which might be in line with the thinking of it not burning the RS. Most Sports are roughly a term long and there fore the redshirt is mostly in effect for that length.

Also, on the discussion of "why would they need a freshman to play?" Well, injuries. Or, say the kid showed drastic improvement from the time he arrived on campus through the 8th, 9th, 10th game and they feel he could be an asset.

Could drastically change a team from the regular season to the playoff (which are the only games after the Championship games that matter). So i would vote no to the playoff games.

One other discussion that's been tossed around is letting true freshman play 3 or 4 games and still taking a redshirt....but they could play in Game 1, Game 5, Game 9 & 12....not just the first part of the season - as long as they don't play more than 3 (or maybe 4) games (I can't recall if it was 3 or 4 games). Anyhow, I like this rule a lot. We usually play a weakling in Game 11 (before FSU). This would be a great opportunity to play a bunch of freshman.

I believe they same what they would consider 1/4th of the season, similar to a medical red shirt (I think that comes out to 3 games).

I know you are playing Devil's Advocate, just bring in the counter points to the statements.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Remember when there were rumors Franks was going to play in the bowl game?
Imagine how exciting it would have been to watch a confused freshman throwing wildly over the head of our receivers as they ran lazy and often incorrect routes.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Imagine how exciting it would have been to watch a confused freshman throwing wildly over the head of our receivers as they ran lazy and often incorrect routes.

What's a Gator Chatter discussion without a ray of sunshine from lawdonkey.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014

Take that or a Vernell Brown type throw and interception.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
This is good or bad depending on your perspective. I hate bowl games. I find them meaningless trash. This would cause me to watch one. The downside? Many coaches already treat these games as prep for next year by using a lot of the practices on the redshirt players. Mac did this in the practices leading up to the Michigan game. This will make things like that worse.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is good or bad depending on your perspective. I hate bowl games. I find them meaningless trash. This would cause me to watch one. The downside? Many coaches already treat these games as prep for next year by using a lot of the practices on the redshirt players. Mac did this in the practices leading up to the Michigan game. This will make things like that worse.

As mentioned in the article beside the Playoff games where you are playing for something, or the BCS game nationally televised recruiting commerical. What really benefit are the rest of the games outside of a vacation, a bag of stuff, travel for the alumni and fans, and more things to bet on for degenerate gamblers?

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
It is a good idea, the player can get the full experience (I wonder how they actually handle this now) and it is just one game. Playoff games are somewhat different but I would have no issue there either.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have no problem with the rule. It benefits the players and teams who either have injury/depth problems or who are blowing out their opponent and can give their 3rd string some experience. If coaches (with the exception of McElwain) want to use the bowl game as a glorified practice, then let them.

There is no need to restrict this to playoff games either. No coach is going to jeopardize a playoff win just so their freshman can get some experience for next year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is good or bad depending on your perspective. I hate bowl games. I find them meaningless trash.
Yes, as expected, the playoff system is destroying the bowl games. I would also add that bowl tie-ins are also a major culprit. Never a chance to go anywhere new or play anyone new. Go to Orlando, Tampa or Atlanta and play some other third tier mediocre team.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Yes, as expected, the playoff system is destroying the bowl games. I would also add that bowl tie-ins are also a major culprit. Never a chance to go anywhere new or play anyone new. Go to Orlando, Tampa or Atlanta and play some other third tier mediocre team.

It has been that way for so long I don't think about.You make an excellent point. I might pay more attention if we played someone other than a big 10 team. In the last 15 bowls, we've played a big 10 team 11 times.

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
I think we are going to see more of potential draft picks sitting out bowl games, like Fournette and McCaffrey. Therefore why not let RS freshmen play? Bowl games are already losing their importance.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think we are going to see more of potential draft picks sitting out bowl games, like Fournette and McCaffrey. Therefore why not let RS freshmen play? Bowl games are already losing their importance.

You mean because they were not hurt in their draft status, but that TE from Michigan dropped from potential late first round to mid round pick due to meaningless bowl game injury.

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
You mean because they were not hurt in their draft status, but that TE from Michigan dropped from potential late first round to mid round pick due to meaningless bowl game injury.

That TE is exactly why I believe we will see more and more of those types sit out, which is why bowl games are going to become less relevant.

So let's all accept the growing irrelevance of bowls and let the RS play.

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014

That TE is exactly why I believe we will see more and more of those types sit out, which is why bowl games are going to become less relevant.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I don't disagree.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'd be for it. Aren't the bowl teams selected at the end of the season, based on their season-ending record, etc ?

PS>> It'd be a nice reward for any RS good enough to see the field. Plus, why should TV fans' viewing be ruined because Appleby gets knocked out in the first quarter?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.