Proposed California amendment would cap coaches salaries at $200,000

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
It's the off-season, we need something to talk about besides 15 pages of how great/not great of an AD Jeremy Foley is/was:

Proposed California amendment would cap coaches salaries at $200,000

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...p-coaches-salaries-at-dollar200000/ar-AAxSPpJ

Some states do everything they can to help out athletics programs in their borders, that is something that California has never really been accused of doing. A state-wide travel ban has already caused some ripples with regards to scheduling for some teams and it seems lawmakers in Sacramento are back with a new constitutional amendment that could hamper schools ability to pay their coaches.

UCLA student paper The Daily Bruin passes along news that a new constitutional amendment was announced last week “that aims to restrict the University of California’s autonomy by reducing staff salaries, the length of regents’ terms and the authority of the UC president.” That first item is the biggest to take note of, which would institute a cap on non-faculty salaries to $200,000 per year — something that would affect everybody from coaches to the athletic director and everybody in between.

The University of California (UC) system most notably includes Pac-12 schools like UCLA and Cal, which means coaches like Chip Kelly and Justin Wilcox could be affected. To take Kelly as an example, he signed a five-year contract worth a total of $23.3 million when he was hired by the Bruins this offseason.

Head football coaches salaries are not typically paid completely by a school directly however, so there is some wiggle room should this amendment wind up passing. Often a separate athletics organization will foot most of the bill using funds raised from donors while other outside companies sometimes also get involved. Things might be a little more interesting when it comes to assistant’s salaries or non-football/men’s basketball head coaches and support staffers however, who could fall under the purview of the cap.

In other words, some creative accounting practices might have to be implemented by schools like UCLA or Cal or else they’ll be at a significant disadvantage compared to their private school peers like USC or Stanford as well as conference rivals like Arizona or Oregon.

It’s far from certain the amendment will pass given that it requires a two-thirds vote in the state legislature as well as passing muster on a state-wide ballot measure during a general election. We don’t typically see college coaches wade too far into political waters but, in this case, they might be forced to because its one that directly affects their wallets.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, let’s put a cap on what someone can earn in the profession. That sounds like a solid plan.
How about we do the same for CEOs, actors, musicians, elected officials, etc?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
One of my favorite sayings is, "Thankfully we don't live in the United States of California"....

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I know coaches in the SEC get most of their pay from sources outside state funds technically like the article talks about. Spurrier I think one time I read was getting like 200k that actually fell under the state retirement system formula when he was here or something like that.

I doubt this would affect most football coaches as things could be re-worked but there is no way in hell standard sponsorship money would pay for a non revenue sport like baseball for the coach to make a million a year. I wonder how FL etc. pays the baseball coaches what they do - is it just overpaid sponsorship booster money basically.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I know coaches in the SEC get most of their pay from sources outside state funds technically like the article talks about. Spurrier I think one time I read was getting like 200k that actually fell under the state retirement system formula when he was here or something like that.

I doubt this would affect most football coaches as things could be re-worked but there is no way in hell standard sponsorship money would pay for a non revenue sport like baseball for the coach to make a million a year. I wonder how FL etc. pays the baseball coaches what they do - is it just overpaid sponsorship booster money basically.

Due to Title IX, this is also how they get away w/ paying the men's basketball coach 10X (or more) than the woman's basketball coach (the "salary" from the state/university is usually similar, but the 'other sources'/UAA income is significantly more for the men's overall salary).

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

That is why the coaches are doing milk, yellow wood, etc... that is where those "extra" revenue on the contract comes from. it's all in the employment contract if I remember correctly.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
If the Cal legislators were serious, they would limit Head Coach compensation from all sources to less than or equal to the highest compensated Professor in the system, including grants and publishing profits. Anything more than that would be contributed to the general scholarship fund. Of course they are not serious and only want to get on the good side of up and coming voters.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
CFB coaches salaries, IMHO, seem too high, but ....

Sure, politicians are all-in on taking the money away from private enterprise = "You didn't build that."
They're taking away other people's money.? Have govment officials ever voted themselves a pay-cut or just attach their pay to a merit-base system? How about tidying things up with term limits ?

Politicians are removing historical statues. What next, deshelve all books on Robert E. Lee ?
Tradition cannot stand against politician's situational ethics. (No spies, just embedded human assets that depend on what the meaning of is is.)

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
:bwahaha:

Can you picture the kind of coaches they would be forced to hire if the cap was $200K?

Hell, Greg Nord was making twice that. Greg freaking Nord.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, let’s put a cap on what someone can earn in the profession. That sounds like a solid plan.
How about we do the same for CEOs, actors, musicians, elected officials, etc?

They are State schools, funded by taxpayers. But of course, and as noted by many already, the big coaching salaries come out of private foundations set up to support the major programs.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
:bwahaha:

Can you picture the kind of coaches they would be forced to hire if the cap was $200K?

Hell, Greg Nord was making twice that. Greg freaking Nord.
Kirk Callahan?

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
:hahaha: California

This bears repeating:

uyuso2j9qzh01.jpg

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
Before they cap the coaches salaries the state of California needs to cap tenured professors salaries. )

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gotta' find some money to pay for all those illegal aliens somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.