Pros/Cons for each QB

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
QB Malik Zaire, Pros: Running Ability, Experience, Arm Strength

What Zaire brings to the table is the ability to add some wrinkles to the offense in terms of designed runs and a read option game that stresses a defensive line. Going against a Michigan front that should be extremely good, allowing Zaire to run some zone read could greatly slow down the Wolverines, which are expected to feature an extremely aggressive defense. On top of his running ability, Zaire has also started in games against some good teams, like LSU and Texas. That experience, coupled with very good arm strength could push him over the top ahead of the season opener.

QB Malik Zaire, Cons: Communication, Playbook Knowledge, Intermediate Throws

It's been clear through the first week and a half of camp that Zaire is still getting up to speed in the offense. There have been several disconnects between him and receivers, the type of miscues that can stall drives or end them altogether with a throw to the wrong spot. He also doesn't seem to operate quite as smoothly pre-snap in terms of getting the protections aligned right as Luke Del Rio and even Franks. Moreover, he's been a bit erratic at times on intermediate throws, something Franks has done better at.

QB Luke Del Rio, Pros: Knowledge of System, Communication, Short Throws

Del Rio clearly has the best grasp of the offensive system, and it isn't all that close right now. He's the one guy who consistently gets the offense aligned properly and makes the right pre-snap reads and checks. That's important to an offense that is still very young. It also helps Del Rio move the chains despite getting pressure from the defensive line; he's able to get the ball in his playmakers hands quickly when he properly identifies where pressure is coming from. He appears much healthier than he did through most of the 2016 season

QB Luke Del Rio, Cons: Arm Strength, Anticipation, Immobility

Though his arm strength was severely impacted late in 2016 by knee and shoulder injuries, Del Rio didn't boast very good arm strength even before he was hurt. His deep balls don't come off nearly as effortlessly as Zaire or Franks, and he struggles to gun the ball into the intermediate ranges when the windows are smaller against elite teams. He doesn't seem to anticipate windows closing down as quickly as they do against those teams. Couple those limitations with Del Rio being pretty limited in mobility, and teams that can take away the easy throwing windows can frustrate Florida's offense in a hurry with Del Rio in there.

QB Feleipe Franks, Pros: Arm Strength, Confidence, Rate of Improvement

Franks' arm strength has been evident from Day 1. It was on full display in the spring game, when he made a number of deep throws with ease. But the things that have really impressed this fall with regard to Franks are his improved confidence and sense of command of the offense. From a knowledge standpoint, he's not always making the right checks, but he operates with a sense of calm that wasn't there before. That's also led to some quick improvement. Routes that Franks struggled with in his first year and even the spring (outs, corners, deep seams) are quickly turning into more comfortable throws for him. And that makes it easy to envision his upside being quite high if that growth trajectory were to continue once the 2017 season began.

QB Feleipe Franks, Cons: Gunslinger Mentality, Protection Checks, Inconsistency

One of the biggest issues for Franks is that he still has a bit of a tendency to lock onto receivers, which can get him in trouble over the middle of the field. He's not afraid to try to gun it into a target, and sometimes he misses defenders slipping into certain zones that could make for a dangerous throw. He still needs to improve his command of the offense pre-snap, knowing when and where to slide protections and where to go with it on certain RPOs. He also tends to be a tad bit inconsistent. He'll miss open throws on occasion or fail to see the open receiver.

http://florida.247sports.com/Galler...s-starting-QB-options-106088524/GallerySlides

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Del Rio has a gunslinger's mentality without the arm strength. They totally missed that con.

Best example: First drive against Georgia where Del Taco thought he could roll to the right and throw it back across the field.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I can not imagine that anyone who has followed college football any length of time would view a two spring red shirt frosh who can not seize the job having "rate of improvement" as a positive. Heck even if Franks were to become a Heisman winner later in his UF career, he still took longer than typical to become ready to play.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Del Rio has a gunslinger's mentality without the arm strength. They totally missed that con.

Best example: First drive against Georgia where Del Taco thought he could roll to the right and throw it back across the field.
I'm pretty sure there's several examples of that noodle arm turd trying to force throws in places he shouldn't. Dude thinks he's the next coming of Brett Farve or something :lol:

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
I can not imagine that anyone who has followed college football any length of time would view a two spring red shirt frosh who can not seize the job having "rate of improvement" as a positive. Heck even if Franks were to become a Heisman winner later in his UF career, he still took longer than typical to become ready to play.
All the recruiting guru's said "Franks will need time to develop on the next level " when he was coming out. I expected a RS year and he would be ready but that doesn't look to be the case. Apparently what i was told (by a couple of people) was correct...he still doesn't know the protection calls/where his receivers are going to be or putting the work in to do so. If that proves to be true that's on him!

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
All the recruiting guru's said "Franks will need time to develop on the next level " when he was coming out. I expected a RS year and he would be ready but that doesn't look to be the case. Apparently what i was told (by a couple of people) was correct...he still doesn't know the protection calls/where his receivers are going to be or putting the work in to do so. If that proves to be true that's on him!

When he came in he didn't know the proper footwork for a 3,5, and 7 step drop... he was the definition of raw. That has improved between the two spring games... But he would have had to do extra work to get to a functional point this season, it the reports are true. He hasn't.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014

Do you know where he came from? Writers who covered his team said the coaching was nothing more than drawing plays in the dirt. It was really bad. He knew nothing. He got some coaching at camps, but those are short. This is the first real coaching he's ever received. He had much further to go than the average high school QB. I'm impressed so far. Will he be good? I don't know. We'll find out.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
QB Luke Del Rio, Pros: Knowledge of System, Communication, Short Throws

Del Rio clearly has the best grasp of the offensive system, and it isn't all that close right now. He's the one guy who consistently gets the offense aligned properly and makes the right pre-snap reads and checks. That's important to an offense that is still very young. It also helps Del Rio move the chains despite getting pressure from the defensive line; he's able to get the ball in his playmakers hands quickly when he properly identifies where pressure is coming from. He appears much healthier than he did through most of the 2016 season

QB Luke Del Rio, Cons: Arm Strength, Anticipation, Immobility

Though his arm strength was severely impacted late in 2016 by knee and shoulder injuries, Del Rio didn't boast very good arm strength even before he was hurt. His deep balls don't come off nearly as effortlessly as Zaire or Franks, and he struggles to gun the ball into the intermediate ranges when the windows are smaller against elite teams. He doesn't seem to anticipate windows closing down as quickly as they do against those teams. Couple those limitations with Del Rio being pretty limited in mobility, and teams that can take away the easy throwing windows can frustrate Florida's offense in a hurry with Del Rio in there.

http://florida.247sports.com/Galler...s-starting-QB-options-106088524/GallerySlides

:(

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I saw Franks in the state championship game.
He looked slow in it. He's tall and lanky and doesn't know how to evade rushers.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
If del taco has such a great grasp of the system, why does he lack anticipation? The first should assist the latter. And for a noodle arm, it's twice as important.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Do you know where he came from? Writers who covered his team said the coaching was nothing more than drawing plays in the dirt. It was really bad. He knew nothing. He got some coaching at camps, but those are short. This is the first real coaching he's ever received. He had much further to go than the average high school QB. I'm impressed so far. Will he be good? I don't know. We'll find out.
His HS coach won 97 games in 10 years. I seriously doubt plays were drawn in the dirt or that his HS coach couldn't coach him. I also wouldn't call Mac or Nuss real coaches since neither have lived up to their claims.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
QB Kyle Trask, Pros - Solid religious sensibilities, high character and strong desire to build team fellowship, hand-chosen by Nussmeyer through Hobby Lobby connections and connections with his father while a deacon, son of a preacher (ergo Heisman), isn't 5'10.

QB Kyle Trask, Cons - Like his mother, was mostly the deep snapper for his high school football team. Played very little quarterback.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

Well as I said, even if he goes on to win the Heisman, his development has been slow. No high school QB comes in ready to play college ball. They all must develop. Many develop to play as redshirt frosh.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
LDR
Pro - Excellent on Twitter
Con- Gets butthurt on Twitter

Zaire
Pro - not LDR
Con - not much actual field experience

Franks
Pro - not LDR
Con - apparently a major project

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
LDR
Pro - Excellent on Twitter
Con- Gets butthurt on Twitter

Zaire
Pro - not LDR
Con - not much actual field experience

Franks
Pro - not LDR
Con - apparently a major project
giphy.gif

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
I thought pretty seriously about it, some friends are going to, but my decision was made when we decided to keep nusschump.
I did 2...but then i asked myself "would you put money on anyone else being named the starter other than Del-Rio " and the answer was no. I'm not spending a couple of grand to fly out there/motel/tickets to see him $hit the bed...not happening! Hell...the QB situation is also why i didn't renew my season tickets. Until we get someone under center worth a $hit i will not spend another dime on anything UF related.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator