Pros/Cons for each QB

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hell...the QB situation is also why i didn't renew my season tickets. Until we get someone under center worth a $hit i will not spend another dime on anything UF related.
Come on, man. Do you really think ANYONE could make Nusschump look competent. Really?

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
:facepalm: Well, we're basically ready for the season minus a few natural remedies... Go Gators! :therethere:

7fe2ca034f0952b3941906922bc3c806--liquor-cart-brass-bar-cart.jpg

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Zaire was Fileds bait. Just to show Fields we had a plan for dual QB. Zaire is an average QB who wouldn't be any better playing for us. The upside of bringing him is that it's apparently pushed Franks. Seriously you don't want Zaire all season because he isn't that good.
LDR logically is the heir apparent if healthy. He has the most experience. If plays go according to schematic then he's your man. But he doesn't give you anything spectacular to not want the 2nd string QB to come in and replace him.
And now we get to Franks - lots of upside supposedly. A more natural athlete that makes up for lack of intelligence with natural instincts to play (we hope). He's been making strides in practice. DESIRE. Put his ass out there and let him learn OJT. Two years in the system is enough. Let's see him perform under live fire. Will he take some knocks? Sure. Will it hurt his psyche ? Hell no. He's a warrior. Let him go out there and remind us of Rex :) or Driskell :( . I want to see it on the field.

Last edited:

ExecutiveGator

Paragraphs are great tools. Use them.
Lifetime Member
Dec 5, 2014
If the O-Line sucks, there's no reason to play any one BUT Franks. We all know the defense is going to be average at best. We won't have the luxury of riding the defense to stay close in games while the offense sputters for 60 minutes. We might as well let the kid learn OJT for next season.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
QB Malik Zaire, Pros: Running Ability, Experience, Arm Strength

What Zaire brings to the table is the ability to add some wrinkles to the offense in terms of designed runs and a read option game that stresses a defensive line. Going against a Michigan front that should be extremely good, allowing Zaire to run some zone read could greatly slow down the Wolverines, which are expected to feature an extremely aggressive defense. On top of his running ability, Zaire has also started in games against some good teams, like LSU and Texas. That experience, coupled with very good arm strength could push him over the top ahead of the season opener.

QB Malik Zaire, Cons: Communication, Playbook Knowledge, Intermediate Throws

It's been clear through the first week and a half of camp that Zaire is still getting up to speed in the offense. There have been several disconnects between him and receivers, the type of miscues that can stall drives or end them altogether with a throw to the wrong spot. He also doesn't seem to operate quite as smoothly pre-snap in terms of getting the protections aligned right as Luke Del Rio and even Franks. Moreover, he's been a bit erratic at times on intermediate throws, something Franks has done better at.

QB Luke Del Rio, Pros: Knowledge of System, Communication, Short Throws

Del Rio clearly has the best grasp of the offensive system, and it isn't all that close right now. He's the one guy who consistently gets the offense aligned properly and makes the right pre-snap reads and checks. That's important to an offense that is still very young. It also helps Del Rio move the chains despite getting pressure from the defensive line; he's able to get the ball in his playmakers hands quickly when he properly identifies where pressure is coming from. He appears much healthier than he did through most of the 2016 season

QB Luke Del Rio, Cons: Arm Strength, Anticipation, Immobility

Though his arm strength was severely impacted late in 2016 by knee and shoulder injuries, Del Rio didn't boast very good arm strength even before he was hurt. His deep balls don't come off nearly as effortlessly as Zaire or Franks, and he struggles to gun the ball into the intermediate ranges when the windows are smaller against elite teams. He doesn't seem to anticipate windows closing down as quickly as they do against those teams. Couple those limitations with Del Rio being pretty limited in mobility, and teams that can take away the easy throwing windows can frustrate Florida's offense in a hurry with Del Rio in there.

QB Feleipe Franks, Pros: Arm Strength, Confidence, Rate of Improvement

Franks' arm strength has been evident from Day 1. It was on full display in the spring game, when he made a number of deep throws with ease. But the things that have really impressed this fall with regard to Franks are his improved confidence and sense of command of the offense. From a knowledge standpoint, he's not always making the right checks, but he operates with a sense of calm that wasn't there before. That's also led to some quick improvement. Routes that Franks struggled with in his first year and even the spring (outs, corners, deep seams) are quickly turning into more comfortable throws for him. And that makes it easy to envision his upside being quite high if that growth trajectory were to continue once the 2017 season began.

QB Feleipe Franks, Cons: Gunslinger Mentality, Protection Checks, Inconsistency

One of the biggest issues for Franks is that he still has a bit of a tendency to lock onto receivers, which can get him in trouble over the middle of the field. He's not afraid to try to gun it into a target, and sometimes he misses defenders slipping into certain zones that could make for a dangerous throw. He still needs to improve his command of the offense pre-snap, knowing when and where to slide protections and where to go with it on certain RPOs. He also tends to be a tad bit inconsistent. He'll miss open throws on occasion or fail to see the open receiver.

http://florida.247sports.com/Galler...s-starting-QB-options-106088524/GallerySlides

I agree with just a few exceptions.

Experience at ND is not that valuable to me, I give it very little weight.

Most of Franks Cons can and should be addressed with more practice and understanding by him that they are actually cons. Coaching is paramount here.

Great post, thanks!!!

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with just a few exceptions.

Experience at ND is not that valuable to me, I give it very little weight.

Most of Franks Cons can and should be addressed with more practice and understanding by him that they are actually cons. Coaching is paramount here.

Great post, thanks!!!

We just have to hope Franks isn't too similar to Driskel upstairs.

GatorCrunch

Nov 20, 2014
Food for thought ........If Franks does win the job and performs reasonably well it may discourage Corral and those newly recruited players like Chase who want to play with and for him.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Food for thought ........If Franks does win the job and performs reasonably well it may discourage Corral and those newly recruited players like Chase who want to play with and for him.

Or it will create more buzz for the program and show recruits they better jump on board. You never know what goes on in the heads of teenagers.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
You don't think Corral already knows who the starter is? Mac probably told him at the beginning of camp as to not discourage him from going elsewhere...;)

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I thought I'd bump this thread as no one - save for PastyStoole himself - even *mentioned* Kyle Trask in this QB analysis. And here Trask is, on the precipice of winning a Heisman, just as I predicted in this thread:

UF beats out Houston Baptist to land High School backup QB

Once again, PastyStoole, the lone voice of reason in the wilderness, and now obnoxiously referring to himself in the third person.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I had already totally forgoten we ever had a QB transfer named Malik Zaire. He made quite the impression.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I thought I'd bump this thread as no one - save for PastyStoole himself - even *mentioned* Kyle Trask in this QB analysis. And here Trask is, on the precipice of winning a Heisman, just as I predicted in this thread:

Once again, PastyStoole, the lone voice of reason in the wilderness, and now obnoxiously referring to himself in the third person.

When I’m looking for sound reasoning and logic based forecasting, possibly packaged in a context that has all sorts of strange erotic undertones that may cost me sleep for a week minimum, you’re usually the one I turn to.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I had already totally forgoten we ever had a QB transfer named Malik Zaire. He made quite the impression.
Right up there with that guy from Vandy who played (some)wr that everyone was begging for to start over Treon in 2015...

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

Be careful not to strain your arm patting yourself on the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.