• Emory Jones

Votes: 32 29.4%

• Total voters

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Franks runs for a pair of touchdowns in a flag football scrimmage and suddenly he's won the job.

Had he not been wearing a white shirt, he'd have probably been shut out.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Honey Badger don't give a chit!!!!!!

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
LOL.... That is amazing. You watch Trash complete 50% of his passes (per announcers) and run for zero yards and it makes you think Trash won the job. Totally disconnected with reality.

Franks looked Frankish, missed some stupid stuff but he also ran for two TDs, was the leading rusher, gave the postgame speech and is clearly the only horse in the race.

THIS IS A DAN MULLINZ offense afterall. He even spent like ten minutes discussing how integral a running QB is.

EJ is the future, I agree. It is just a question of how long and whether he gets a small wildcat like Tebow package for this year or not.
Meh...What I heard cdm say was that he needed a QB willing to run. Unfortunately, it's not clear that Trask is willing to run.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Meh...What I heard cdm say was that he needed a QB willing to run. Unfortunately, it's not clear that Trask is willing to run.

Doubt Franks gets too much read option either. This year will be like Tyler Russell at MSU in 2012. We wont even see Leak 2005 level QB running probably since a FB isnt hardly going to be used.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm unclear what greatness anyone sees here. He's slow and throws a wobbly ball. He's not an optimum fit IMO.

How many schools has he played for?

I’m not sure if you’re kidding?

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The fact that Franks got to rest in the second quarter and Trask played well into the third makes it pretty obvious that there is no quarterback competition. Franks is the starter.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with you for the most part. Your last sentence is just you being Swamp Donkey. lol

After what I saw today, there is little doubt in my mind Franks will start. He is the best option at QB until EJ is ready. He surprised me a bit today. My worry with franks was him lacking enough burst. I think he can run it well enough. He isn't EJ or JJ (if his commit sticks) though.

I have a feeling some of you are going to be shocked how little Franks runs read option plays once we play teams with a pulse. They will probably pull the plug on that as quick as Roper did with Driskel in 2014.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Franks runs for a pair of touchdowns in a flag football scrimmage and suddenly he's won the job..
How is that different than Franks completing 50% (some after getting two hand touched) while playing flag football?

Would he have won the job if I were running the show? No. Theyd run option with regular jerseys, but obviously Mullinz has seen enough.

Last edited:

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Im not lobbying for shyt. Im a weatherman. I am telling you what is going to happen.

I told you last year that Frank's wasn't ready. you tool bags said he was a world-beater and we were going to win as long as we got rid of LDR.

You said the same thing the year before with Treon.

if I were "lobbying" I would say Toney. Tony is accurate (historically) on short stuff, has enough arm for the longer-range stuff, and is a great runner. Of course if I had that kind of control I wouldn't have hired a spread option coach. we clearly aren't going in the direction of Toney yet. of course we didn't decide we needed Harvin at Wildcat and later Tebow until a few weeks into the season.
Toney is a no-brainer to me. No idea why that isn’t happening to be honest.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
You also might never see a worse offense than what we roll out with this fall.....
Sooo everybody who dislikes this believes that what they saw out there today without a question won't be the worst offense we've had in the last 7 or 8 years?.....Ok......Reality checks don't go over too well here I see. Those 3 QB's are nowhere ready to be leading a functional D1 offense.......

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Great weekend...loaded up the fam and came up Friday for the baseball game. Big crowd and great game. Really enjoyed it.

Today started with a few cold ones at the Salty Dog and then sat at the 50 yard line row 20. Sun shining, big crowd, lots of energy. Completely enjoyed the game.

My take: Franks will start, Trask will be a capable backup and will get some PT. Jones will be be brought along slowly but will be starting by mid to late season. Best runner...throws a tight spiral....more zip....has the it factor. Too good to sit out the year. He is the future.

Good stable of backs and if Grimes and Jefferson are eligible we will be in good shape with receivers.

Can’t wait for game one.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I have a feeling some of you are going to be shocked how little Franks runs read option plays once we play teams with a pulse. They will probably pull the plug on that as quick as Roper did with Driskel in 2014.
Exactly. What do you do with this guy's skillset to your advantage? You can't throw. He's not esp quick off the blocks. Shifty? Nope.

How do you magically wave a wand to get him out in space?

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Great weekend...loaded up the fam and came up Friday for the baseball game. Big crowd and great game. Really enjoyed it.

Today started with a few cold ones at the Salty Dog and then sat at the 50 yard line row 20. Sun shining, big crowd, lots of energy. Completely enjoyed the game.

My take: Franks will start, Trask will be a capable backup and will get some PT. Jones will be be brought along slowly but will be starting by mid to late season. Best runner...throws a tight spiral....more zip....has the it factor. Too good to sit out the year. He is the future.

Good stable of backs and if Grimes and Jefferson are eligible we will be in good shape with receivers.

Can’t wait for game 1

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
The fact that Franks got to rest in the second quarter and Trask played well into the third makes it pretty obvious that there is no quarterback competition. Franks is the starter.
Might be right, but it could also have to do with getting EJ sufficient snaps with the 1's on their side. It was pretty clear to me that Allen probably didn't deserve the same courtesy on the other side...

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Exactly. What do you do with this guy's skillset to your advantage? You can't throw. He's not esp quick off the blocks. Shifty? Nope.

How do you magically wave a wand to get him out in space?

Yep he will probably have a few long runs because we wont run him like that often but if we did try it like Mullen would like to Franks will get ate alive out there.

Acecustis

Sep 25, 2017
It’s not the best situation but we are better off than any year since 2012 with the exception of 2015... for half of that year.

How do you figure that? Mullen is cool and definitely an upgrade but he isn't Urban Meyer. The OL is still the OL. That isn't on Mullen just like it wasn't on Brad Davis last year. Those guys just flat out can't play at this level outside of Ivey and Heggie. Emory looks like he will be the truth one day but I don't know if that happens in 2018. If Van and Grimes don't get their waivers approved that is going to be one smelly WR corp. It will remind us of Carlos Perez, Kelvin Kight, and OJ Small. I like Toney but those other guys can't play. Let's be real, we need Banks, Bleich, Moore, and Delance to get starter spots this summer. That and a Joe Burrow transfer here with an approved Van and Grimes waiver there and we can talk improved offense and a bowl game. Don't get that and it will be ugly.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I can’t take another year of Franks unless he DRASTICALLY improves his ability to go through progressions and maneuver in the pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator