Votes: 32 29.4%

• Total voters

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
How do you magically wave a wand to get him out in space?
Normal options in which the give back is running inside and Franks runs wide. (Just flip the old Tebow up the middle- Demps wide playbook... in other words the Alex Smith playbook.) RPOs. Scrambles.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Sooo everybody who dislikes this believes that what they saw out there today without a question won't be the worst offense we've had in the last 7 or 8 years?.....Ok......Reality checks don't go over too well here I see. Those 3 QB's are nowhere ready to be leading a functional D1 offense.......

I doubt we could be worse than the 2013 317 yards a game offense.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I doubt we could be worse than the 2013 317 yards a game offense.
I'm not saying we definitely will be the worse.....but there is a chance we could. I'd take Tyler Murphy over anything I saw out there today......Although EJ might be better once he gets a lot more reps......

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
How do you figure that? Mullen is cool and definitely an upgrade but he isn't Urban Meyer. The OL is still the OL. That isn't on Mullen just like it wasn't on Brad Davis last year. Those guys just flat out can't play at this level outside of Ivey and Heggie. Emory looks like he will be the truth one day but I don't know if that happens in 2018. If Van and Grimes don't get their waivers approved that is going to be one smelly WR corp. It will remind us of Carlos Perez, Kelvin Kight, and OJ Small. I like Toney but those other guys can't play. Let's be real, we need Banks, Bleich, Moore, and Delance to get starter spots this summer. That and a Joe Burrow transfer here with an approved Van and Grimes waiver there and we can talk improved offense and a bowl game. Don't get that and it will be ugly.
Was only speaking about QBs.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not saying we definitely will be the worse.....but there is a chance we could. I'd take Tyler Murphy over anything I saw out there today......Although EJ might be better once he gets a lot more reps......
I would take a healthy Murphy like you say.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
EJ is better than Murphy today and he only has maybe 10 practices under his belt. So is Toney and likely Jackson (who is still in HS).

EJ will be the QB soon.

Probably by the middle of the season. Man, Franks is just so bad.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
The kid just ran for zero yards in an option offense. All while Mullinz talked about at least needing a willing runner.

We saw Trask run some last year and to be honest, it didn't look much different than Franks. I'm not sure why everyone has decided he cant or wont run. Its obvious that Jones is the future and I think he needs to play some this year but I don't see us winning with Franks this year. He has scrambled eggs for brains.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Normal options in which the give back is running inside and Franks runs wide. (Just flip the old Tebow up the middle- Demps wide playbook... in other words the Alex Smith playbook.) RPOs. Scrambles.

That looked to be the way the option plays were run yesterday. I don't think you can judge the OL too harshly for all of those scrums at the LOS, because for the most part the defense completely ignored the QB - that's why when Franks pulled it there was no one there.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Trask is better than Franks. And measurably better. Franks just holds onto the ball too long.

Jones is immensely better than all of them. But I don’t want him to get any PT this year. Let’s get a functional OL in place before we put in our future. And that’s probably not happening for another year.

I want to get a look at the game before I would anoint a starter.....BUT.....

For one I trust Mullen far more than MacNussy to determine and get a QB ready. If that is Trask, so be it. We've seen all the big arms (Driskel, Franks, etc) and cannot do shyt with being a total QB. With that I love how Mullen at UF developed Leak and Tebow. Trask is no where in that league with those two. My point, Mullen can coach him up. We don't need a QB whisperer, we need a coach in his ear coaching him on what to do and how to do it. I would love to see Jones play but not at the expense of getting him some experience, a better OL, and some time to get into it. Jones really should be the future.

If anyone has a link to see the replay would love to watch it. Had Guard Duty yesterday and missed it.

Oct 5, 2014
Didn't anyone see the part when Trask was throwing darts and connecting with closely covered receivers in the first quarter?

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Jones has real potential in this O, can’t wait until he is up to speed.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I have a feeling some of you are going to be shocked how little Franks runs read option plays once we play teams with a pulse. They will probably pull the plug on that as quick as Roper did with Driskel in 2014.

I won't be shocked at all. He isn't an option QB. However, I've seen enough of him that I think the defense has to at least respect him. They don't have to respect Trask at all. Trask is clearly ahead of Franks as a passer. I think the spring game revealed EJ has a genuine opportunity. I'll be interested to see what happens come fall. I left the spring game really down about the QBs. I was hoping for improvement. If Trask can't pull away from Franks it speaks volumes.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Didn't anyone see the part when Trask was throwing darts and connecting with closely covered receivers in the first quarter?
I missed his first series, but did see some nice throws. My biggest disappointment was with Trask standing in the pocket as it collapsed. Two sacks to end the hall. Both Franks and Trask threw the ball away when they were still in the pocket. Is that progress? Jones seemed to make quicker decisions. Wish he had gotten earlier snaps with the better players.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I missed the live version so I watched the replay this AM. My less than 2 cents thoughts:

Because of the "drafting", the guest coaches, the play calling, and the shenanigans with former players coming onto the field, I just can't take what I saw very seriously.
2. Basically, a giant pep rally. Wished I had been there though, I bet it was nonetheless fun.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
This morning's paper full of how wonderful MSU''s QB subbing for Fitzgerald is. We recruit star QBs who don't pan out. MSU recruits nobodies who are great.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
How is that different than Franks completing 50% (some after getting two hand touched) while playing flag football?

Would he have won the job if I were running the show? No. Theyd run option with regular jerseys, but obviously Mullinz has seen enough.
To some degree it's no different, although you have to recognize that the receivers are being physicaled as they normally would.

I think you could see who was comfortable in the pocket and who wasn't yesterday. Franks simply can't process the field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.