• Emory Jones

Votes: 32 29.4%

• Total voters

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think Mullen, too, is aware that the simplest solution is to insert Toney at the position.

I also think Mullen is trying to balance the here and now with the future. He sees Toney's true value in a Percy role and wants to invest in his development at receiver while seeking a long-term solution at quarterback.

EJ and Toney teaming up in sync could eventually amount to one helluva dynamic duo.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Because of the "drafting", the guest coaches, the play calling, and the shenanigans with former players coming onto the field, I just can't take what I saw very seriously.
Did you or the other "dislikers" consider all of that stupidity yesterday was to mask the fact that we are in TERRIBLE shape offensively?.....
I'll also add that it looked to me that at several points in the "game" the coaches told the defense to "lay back"?

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Did you or the other "dislikers" consider all of that stupidity yesterday was to mask the fact that we are in TERRIBLE shape offensively?.....
I'll also add that it looked to me that at several points in the "game" the coaches told the defense to "lay back"?

I thought the special guests were a publicity idea that was pretty good. I don't believe we saw that much of value in determining the future, especially without game film and a knowledge of what plays were called.

Acecustis

Sep 25, 2017
EJ is better than Murphy today and he only has maybe 10 practices under his belt. So is Toney and likely Jackson (who is still in HS).

EJ will be the QB soon.

EJ is the future and I definitely like what I see with him. For the future of Gator football we probably need Mullen to bring in another OL recruiting class to help him out. I would prefer a redshirt for him.

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
I agree that after the game we still have a lot of questions and not many more answers. It still looks likes it's Frank's job to lose but he may well lose it. Trask throws a good looking ball but he cannot move. Frank's looks like he can run but still looks to force passes to covered receivers. Jones has the most upside but looks too small to run a spread in the SEC.
Saw an earlier post that said that Ce Ce tore his labrum. Big loss for our new 3/4 scheme.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Think Clemson's two-headed QB in 2014, including the promising dual-threat freshman.

DeShaun entered the season at 6-3, 190 -- exact same height and six pounds under EJ.

It CAN and it likely WILL be done.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Think Clemson's two-headed QB in 2014, including the promising dual-threat freshman.

DeShaun entered the season at 6-3, 190 -- six pounds under EJ.

It CAN and it likely WILL be done.

It’s not can he get it done. It’s can he survive behind our OL.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Without mobility, no. With it, yes.

Mobility doesn’t matter if you’re getting blindsided. This is not a case of the DL beating the OL. The OL just flat misses assignments. And guys run full speed free to the QB.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mobility doesn’t matter if you’re getting blindsided. This is not a case of the DL beating the OL. The OL just flat misses assignments. And guys run full speed free to the QB.
We've been saying how many years just wait another year until we get a better o-line?

The wait can only go so long. Call the plays with the QB moving and roll with it.

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
Yes Jones can be the spread option threat. He is still undersized but I agree with your point on mobility. Mullen does have the Leak/ Tebow experience and would think that he wouldn't hesitate to use a two headed QB option if it gives us the best chance to win. We may even see something similar at Bama this year.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We've been saying how many years just wait another year until we get a better o-line?

The wait can only go so long. Call the plays with the QB moving and roll with it.

Or how’s this? Recruit elite OL Or teach OL how to block. And then have him for three years.

Or put him behind our atrocious OL and win 2-3 three games, destroy his confidence, Or worse get him so injured he never covers.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Or how’s this? Recruit elite OL Or teach OL how to block. And then have him for three years.

Or put him behind our atrocious OL and win 2-3 three games, destroy his confidence, Or worse get him so injured he never covers.
He's not going to start to begin the season. I think we can agree on that. What we may not agree on is who does start or how long they remain the starter.

I'm very certain given the big question at the position that he won't be redshirted. That means you have to play the kid. Practice isn't enough.

I really do think who becomes the starter will largely dictate the speed of EJ's assimilation. If Franks starts and plays well, half of which I believe will happen, then he probably gets worked in very, very slowly. He may, just may get redshirted then. But I doubt it.

The more likely scenario is a 2006 redux with Trask playing the role of a large Chris Leak and EJ getting worked in like TT. Maybe even faster.

The remaining question then becomes how well Trask plays.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Trask and Jones are definitely ahead of Franks. I'd probably roll with trask if i had to name a starter today.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Saw that only once yesterday. Did you see more? Thought that the paucity of missed OL assignments was one of the few reasons for optimism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb