Question on Schwartz...

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If he plays football, we have to count him as a football scholly even if he runs track. Question is, what happens if he redshirts? Can he be on a track scholly until he actually plays on the field? This could give us some flexibility in this class.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
If he plays football, we have to count him as a football scholly even if he runs track. Question is, what happens if he redshirts? Can he be on a track scholly until he actually plays on the field? This could give us some flexibility in this class.

He'll be on football 100% of the time. That's the "Bear Bryant Rule".

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He'll be on football 100% of the time. That's the "Bear Bryant Rule".
Gotcha, I thought I read somewhere a while back that you had to play before you had to be football scholly, but it was a while ago and I can't find a reference.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
https://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/tam/genrel/auto_pdf/comp101-4-multi-sport-sas.pdf

This appears to be an old Texas A&M guideline. So no telling what still pertains. Sounds like if Schwartz was recruited for track and walked-on to football, then it's a track scholly until he competes at football, then it becomes a football scholly. Moot point, we are obviously recruiting him for football, but an interesting concept

Keep in mind that Track & Field athletes are usually on partial scholarships, they only get 12.6 scholarships per team (and that includes Cross Country). So, very few track athletes get a "full scholarship". It's similar to baseball, where they get 11.7 total.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Keep in mind that Track & Field athletes are usually on partial scholarships, they only get 12.6 scholarships per team (and that includes Cross Country). So, very few track athletes get a "full scholarship". It's similar to baseball, where they get 11.7 total.
Gotcha, it just seems to better define the rule if accurate. Makes me think of someone like Major Parker. He could've been practicing with the football team all he wanted and then played his final year. Not really a way to loophole it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.