Questions About Depression

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nevermind the title of the video, I think what he has to say is universally applicable.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Depression can have a physiological component. I take these supplements daily, and they have a significant effect on mood:

upon waking

400 mg SAM-e
750 mg Bacopa
333 mg Mucuna pruriens (brand name: DopaBean)
500 mg L-Tyrosine
10,000 IU vitamin D3
1280 mg omega-3 (pharmaceutical grade or molecularly distilled)
B-complex

bedtime

350 mg magnesium (brand name: CALM)
100 mg 5-HTP
5 mg melatonin

In addition, you may want to have your testosterone levels checked. Low levels are associated with a host of problems, including depression, and can be increased with supplementation.

Jun 2, 2015
ADD, ADHD, Bipolar, schizophrenia, clinical depression are all chemical imbalances of the brain and can all be hereditary. My late husband, oldest son and grandson all had/have ADHD. I was in the medical field and well knew all about this. I had to constantly curb their impulsive and compulsive behavior,and total lack of organizational skills. They all three described that their brain was constantly racing and they could not easily collect and assimilate thoughts and this depressed them. There were no meds available when my husband and son were growing up. Grandson took meds for a short period but it greatly affected his sleep pattern and killed his appetite. Uppers to those without this problem are downers to those with ADHD; thus, grandson was given a big cup of coffee in the AM before school which greatly helped.

My maternal aunt had clinical depression and refused counselling and drugs. It destroyed her marriage, she lost her job, her kids turned away from her and some days she would not get out of bed or eat. My grandmother had her Baker acted and she received counselling and meds and subsequently turned into a completely different personality The meds had to be tweeked periodically. Unfortunately, the doctors still have a long way to go in understanding and treatment of brain abnormalities but it has improved in the last 50 years or so. I understand the frustrations of those dealing with loved ones who have these chemical imbalances. To say it is not easy is a gross understatement.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As many have stated already, clinical depression is a physical disorder of the brain due to a chemical imbalance. Everyone will experience some sort of depression in life since it is one of the 5 stages of grief, but clinical depression is beyond a normal sadness when grieving. People suffering from depression may experience the following symptoms: unusual sadness, feeling of hopelessness, negative views toward self, significant change in appetite (eat too much or too little), significant change is sleep patters (oversleeping or insomnia), decreased interest in sex, lack of interest in activities that normally are enjoyed, and in moderate to severe cases irrational and/or illogical thinking, which may lead to suicidal thoughts. In essence, people suffering from depression are noticeably different in how they look, act, and interact with others. The more severe the depression, the more difficult it is to treat.

Studies have shown that in mild to moderate depression (depression we may all experience at some point) counseling alone was more effective than medication alone; however, the best way to treat moderate to severe depression is a combination of counseling and medication. Sometimes the depression can be so severe that electric shock treatment may be necessary to supplement the medication. If you or someone you know may be experiencing some of the depressive symptoms, it is best to meet with a counselor earlier than later. Often times if people treat it with counseling early, they can prevent themselves from the downward spiral of getting worse. Unfortunately, there are some people that are genetically disposed to really struggle with the disease since their brain is more susceptible to not function properly. Healthy diet and exercise makes a big difference in keeping the brain healthy, which is why all counselors and doctors have that (or at least they should) in their treatment plans. Also how intentional we are in the way we think influences brain function which is why counseling is so effective.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
As many have stated already, clinical depression is a physical disorder of the brain due to a chemical imbalance. Everyone will experience some sort of depression in life since it is one of the 5 stages of grief, but clinical depression is beyond a normal sadness when grieving. People suffering from depression may experience the following symptoms: unusual sadness, feeling of hopelessness, negative views toward self, significant change in appetite (eat too much or too little), significant change is sleep patters (oversleeping or insomnia), decreased interest in sex, lack of interest in activities that normally are enjoyed, and in moderate to severe cases irrational and/or illogical thinking, which may lead to suicidal thoughts. In essence, people suffering from depression are noticeably different in how they look, act, and interact with others. The more severe the depression, the more difficult it is to treat.

This is kinda what I was trying to get at earlier in this thread. I've never been diagnosed with clinical depression, but I can tell you without reservation, I've gone through every one of those highlighted symptoms. All at once in some cases. Especially following my two divorces. I don't know if I have clinical depression, or if it was simple grief depression, but it was powerful, and overwhelming at times. After my second divorce, I gained over 60lbs INTENTIONALLY so women would not try to talk to me and would leave me alone. That's pretty irrational, but at the time, it made perfect sense to me. Again, I've never been diagnosed with clinical depression, and it's been decades since I actually had suicidal thoughts, but there were times in my life where suicide did enter my mind. I don't know what that means, if anything, but somehow I always managed to pull myself out of the funk I was in and carry on with life eventually. :dunno:

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is kinda what I was trying to get at earlier in this thread. I've never been diagnosed with clinical depression, but I can tell you without reservation, I've gone through every one of those highlighted symptoms. All at once in some cases. Especially following my two divorces. I don't know if I have clinical depression, or if it was simple grief depression, but it was powerful, and overwhelming at times. After my second divorce, I gained over 60lbs INTENTIONALLY so women would not try to talk to me and would leave me alone. That's pretty irrational, but at the time, it made perfect sense to me. Again, I've never been diagnosed with clinical depression, and it's been decades since I actually had suicidal thoughts, but there were times in my life where suicide did enter my mind. I don't know what that means, if anything, but somehow I always managed to pull myself out of the funk I was in and carry on with life eventually. :dunno:
Glad you got it turned around Nav!
:stars:

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Based on your symptoms, I think it is very possible that you did have moderate clinical depression, and you were able to recover because you are more naturally equipped to work through it than other people. I'm happy that you did recover too. I'm sure that was a terrible experience to go through.

Some people simply can't do it on their own, my mom being one of them. She had several suicide attempts and needed different forms of electric shock treatment to help recover simply because her brain can't function properly. My mom hasn't felt the depressive feelings in years, thank God, but she's still on medication and probably always will be. Because of awareness, I've personally taken several steps in preventing the disease from consuming me since I know it runs in the family.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Based on your symptoms, I think it is very possible that you did have moderate clinical depression, and you were able to recover because you are more naturally equipped to work through it than other people. I'm happy that you did recover too. I'm sure that was a terrible experience to go through.

Some people simply can't do it on their own, my mom being one of them. She had several suicide attempts and needed different forms of electric shock treatment to help recover simply because her brain can't function properly. My mom hasn't felt the depressive feelings in years, thank God, but she's still on medication and probably always will be. Because of awareness, I've personally taken several steps in preventing the disease from consuming me since I know it runs in the family.
Good thing there's always this..................
tumblr_mbqqh1kGrf1rwzsbso4_400.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator