Raiders offer Gruden 10 Years for 100 Million

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This has gotten beyond ridiculous. An ownership stake? Is Jon Freaking Gruden really that great of a coach, or is it more perception these days?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...sue-jon-gruden-possibly-offer-ownership-stake

On the flip side, I do find it amusing that Jack Del Rio is about to get jettisoned....again. He was getting cocky there for a while, then remembered he sucked. He can head to the unemployment line and join his frog's testicle of a son.

Discuss.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ask Chris Simms what he thinks of Jon Gruden.

The dude chews up quarterbacks.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I’m a little surprised by this. I just assumed a franchise being run by this guy would have the foresight to steer clear of such potential missteps.

nfl_u_davis_wm_400.jpg

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Doesn’t Gruden make like 5 mil a year at ESPN or something like that? Why ever bother coaching again?

Hard to believe. Gruden hasn’t coached in 9 years. He’s my favorite TV football broadcaster period. The Raiders don’t pay their coaches well - which was why Gruden left them 16 years ago.

Why would he give up his lucrative TV deal to make similar or less money working probably 2-3 times the hours and paying state income tax?

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Hard to believe. Gruden hasn’t coached in 9 years. He’s my favorite TV football broadcaster period. The Raiders don’t pay their coaches well - which was why Gruden left them 16 years ago.

Why would he give up his lucrative TV deal to make similar or less money working probably 2-3 times the hours and paying state income tax?

I know I wouldn’t. Lol

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Doesn’t Gruden make like 5 mil a year at ESPN or something like that? Why ever bother coaching again?

ESPN is in financial trouble. They do not want that $6.5 mill salary on their books. Rumor is they will be letting football go at the end of this contract.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

ESPN is letting MNF go according to rumors. No state tax in Nevada btw.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
ESPN is in financial trouble. They do not want that $6.5 mill salary on their books. Rumor is they will be letting football go at the end of this contract.

Well they’ve certainly done all they could to diminish the NFL the last few years.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

That's actually not accurate. Cable profits for Disney, of which ESPN is the biggest contributor, have plateaued, but the consensus from several industry sources as well as the recent 10-K filed by Disney is that ESPN is in good position to renew with the NFL when its contract comes due in 2022.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I guess, but still, the guy has a sweet gig with low stress.
Some guys just want to coach. They can't stay away.

This deal, if true, is far more lucrative financially than his MNF gig. An ownership stake? It's obscene.

Also, you have to remember that coaches were mistreated and underpaid for years in Oakland because of Al Davis. He's worm food now.

ItsDookie87

...it's best to let him finish
BANNED
Sep 8, 2014
which was why Gruden left them 16 years ago.

Gruden didn't leave them, he was traded for a kings ransom to the bucs.

I'm glad the bucs didn't make a deal like this, I was down to see what Gruden could do with a second shot but I wouldn't have given him control of personnel let alone an ownership stake.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Huh? That would be asinine. The NFL is what makes them relevant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.