Rainout? Rumor has it that UF vs LSU is cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Screw the SEC and everyone involved in this decision imo. Absolutely no reason it couldn't be played at the end of the year or in place of D2 opponent. Or even played mid week that 1 of the team's had a bye. So many possibilities that just not playing the game is a total sham

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I know this idea has been thrown around a few times, so I may be reposting someone else's thoughts. But this is the same S Alabama that knocked off MissSt at the beginning of the year and just upset San Diego St. They're 3-2 and could be playing for bowl eligibility by then. I doubt they just take their paycheck and go home. Our cupcakes aren't the same.
The cupcake games are played at the pleasure of the SEC. I assume that there is an out clause in the contract that allows the SEC to buy them out. Doubt they (the SEC) care how it effects S Alabama's season.
Actually I'm sure that there's an out clause because it was always the SEC's plan B

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
LSU is not giving up their home game.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gee, if only somebody could have foreseen this coming in time to move the game to Baton Rouge. But since that has never been done before I can understand.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The cupcake games are played at the pleasure of the SEC. I assume that there is an out clause in the contract that allows the SEC to buy them out. Doubt they care how it effects S Alabama's season.
Actually I'm sure that there's an out clause because it was always the SEC's plan B

I don't know the specifics, but I can't imagine the contracts allow one team to unilaterally say "sorry, we're not playing you", 6 weeks before scheduled kickoff. Seems like they'd have the right to hold their feet to the fire.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know the specifics, but I can't imagine the contracts allow one team to unilaterally say "sorry, we're not playing you", 6 weeks before scheduled kickoff. Seems like they'd have the right to hold their feet to the fire.
I'm sure there's an Act of God clause in there somewhere. Plus we'll be giving them a million bucks or so. That'll buy a lot of Bibles.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Move WLOCP to 10/22, both UGA and UF open date, and host LSU at Swamp 10/29, which is the Corndogs open date. Problem solved.

UGA would probably want to avoid this since it would effectively give us a bye week and not them... although it isn't like we would have spent 2 weeks putting in stuff for UGA... we have been planning for LSU.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Move WLOCP to 10/22, both UGA and UF open date, and host LSU at Swamp 10/29, which is the Corndogs open date. Problem solved.

Think you're forgetting the hotel reservations and travel plans that are made a year plus in advance for the cocktail party. Not to mention vendors, security, etc.

Outside of the Red River, there may not be a more solidified event in cfb.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Don't know what to tell you. That was an official option a few days ago. I wish I could remember the source but it wasn't a tweet.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Peoples' lives are totally disrupted at this moment. Half the population of Florida is dealing with this disaster: some evacuating, some digging in, highways clogged, store shelves empty and all of a sudden you are going to stop in the middle of all of that for a football game? This should be a no brainer for the SEC and UAA. The game should be postponed. Period!

Exactly. Well-said.

It's a GAME. Sure there's lots of money and arrangements involved, and undoubtedly out-of-pocket expenses that will not be recouped, but the only thing surprising/disappointing about this decision is that it took so long to make. Should have been a no-brainer yesterday.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I'm sure there's an Act of God clause in there somewhere. Plus we'll be giving them a million bucks or so. That'll buy a lot of Bibles.

I'm sure the Presbyterians would take the payday. My question was with S. Alabama.

And I think the act of God clause would only work if it directly impacted that game. Not a post catastrophe shuffle.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Think you're forgetting the hotel reservations and travel plans that are made a year plus in advance for the cocktail party. Not to mention vendors, security, etc.

Outside of the Red Rqiver, there may not be a more solidified event in cfb.

True, but the SEC will inconvenience UF, UGA, and Jacksonville long before they consider moving the SEC game in Atlanta back a week, for one game that likely won't have an impact on who is playing in Atlanta that day anyway.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gotta think there's a chance the uga game could be moved if Jax gets messed up like it looks like it may.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Guys, I am in Live Oak and there is a mass exodus from the east coast over here. Campgrounds and motels are slammed and gas stations are backed up with lines. The stores are sold out of water and bread. All of the stores. There is no way that Gainesville would be normal for a game to take place. Everything is in panic mode.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm just pissed that they didn't see this coming way earlier in the week and DO something about it.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
True, but the SEC will inconvenience UF, UGA, and Jacksonville long before they consider moving the SEC game in Atlanta back a week, for one game that likely won't have an impact on who is playing in Atlanta that day anyway.

From that one tweet, I'm not sure it would impact things either way. It seemed to indicate that despite playing one less game, we'd still be eligible to win the East. But yeah, I completely agree that the SECCG isn't going anywhere or being adjusted one bit.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Foley presser at 4:30 to clarify.
I hope it says it will be played if needed. That should be the statement at this time. I think LSU is just being an ass and not wanting to play the game because it probably means absolutely nothing to them this season

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@38Godfrey: Can confirm LSU offered Tiger Stadium as an alternate site for Florida game; Florida and SEC turned down the proposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator