Founding Member
@GatorsFB: Randy Russell’s Career Ends Following Pre-Participation Physical

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
He's still got his college paid for so there is that. The test saved his life.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Wow.

I'm happy the kid found out before something serious happened....but this is par for the course for our jinxed football program.

That's 2 players in 2 years w/ medical conditions, players we were counting on and happy we landed. Add to it the credit card issue and losing those players.

The hits just keep on comin....

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Do you guys think this is something schools should start pre screening for during recruitment? Its a double edge sword. Protects the team from losing players before they even play but also strips a kid of a chance at a free education when he was heavily focused on football over academics (in most cases) during high school.

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Do you guys think this is something schools should start pre screening for during recruitment? Its a double edge sword. Protects the team from losing players before they even play but also strips a kid of a chance at a free education when he was heavily focused on football over academics (in most cases) during high school.
I thought physicals were required to even participate in high school sports. Maybe the tests run by our staff are more sophisticated and able to catch smaller anomalies, but I wonder who would've had their ass sued off if he collapsed in a game last year.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

I'm not sure, but this certainly has cost UF a lot of money. I'm pretty sure he gets the same "scholarship" (hardship/medical) as he would have gotten as a football player (same benefits) so that's a costly issue. This is two true freshman, two years in a row....plus Rod Johnson, who just graduated.

I have no problem w/ UF paying for it, we made a commitment to the kid. But yeah, there should be some sort of participation pre-screening done. Would this be done before hand? Who pays for it? lots of issues w/ this...

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
His response is fantastic. He would have been a leader on the field.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Wow... I feel so bad for this kid, yet I feel he is extremely lucky to have had his athletic skill pay for his tuition at UF. I'm sure he is hurting, but man... how lucky for these kids that these issues were found.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Tuff break but he's still alive,

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
There goes our recruiting rankings

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

No. It allows them to get scholarships. And it’s removed from our count as a hardship.

Everyone wins.

JCTow

Nov 16, 2017
Mercy I just read this...has to be heartbreaking for the kid. Hopefully he stays positive and realizes that there is more important things in life than football. Hope he excels in whatever he does

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
Damn. What are the odds?? Hate it for the kid, hate it for us all, but it sounds like he's screwed on tight for his future.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Brings new meaning to calling the team “the cardiac kids”

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads