Ranking the SEC’s head coaches entering spring practice

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, he certainly ran off Creyer. But it's not just what people normally think of as Nick, meaning on the football field, but also things like film and recruiting staff and facilities that Nick required.

He has so thoroughly destroyed his rivals, especially us, that we have plenty of people here who think we have no reason to expect to land any of the top recruits in our own damn state (bc we should expect that they would be going to Bammer, OSU and every one else) and that we should be happy with a coach that gets blown out 3-4 games a year. He destroyed us so bad we aren't even upset about not even competing, and just being happy if we score at all.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Well, he certainly ran off Creyer. But it's not just what people normally think of as Nick, meaning on the football field, but also things like film and recruiting staff and facilities that Nick required.

He has so thoroughly destroyed his rivals, especially us, that we have plenty of people here who think we have no reason to expect to land any of the top recruits in our own damn state (bc we should expect that they would be going to Bammer, OSU and every one else) and that we should be happy with a coach that gets blown out 3-4 games a year. He destroyed us so bad we aren't even upset about not even competing, and just being happy if we score at all.
Les would still be at LSU, possibly Richt at UGA, definitely Meyer at UF. He's run off anyone worth a flip because they can't beat him. Be interesting to see if the conference rebounds when he hangs it up.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Do you agree it's because of Nick?

Some of it is reverting to form after Spurrier left UF, some of it is Saban, but really UAL's fan base likes to win with defense, special teams and vanilla offense. That is their history.

AU loves to copy UAL and runs offf coaches who do not run the ball enough copying UAL. UGa's greatest success was under a UAL clone and they are trying to get back to that style of bad offense. UAR's history is running the ball too following UTx in the SWC. LSU is another we are jealous of UAL fan base and like UAR hired a Big 10 mudder as coach and now have handed it off to a DC.

Mississippi, Missouri, Miss. State, UK, Vandy, SoCar are irrelevant.

That leaves aTm where they try to have a real offense under Sumlin and UTn where they have a bit of an offense under Jones, but he is way over his head.

So I would say,

1. UAL, AU, UGa, LSU are reverting to form after Spurrier left UFand the latter 3 copying UAL as they traditionally do.

2. aTm and to some extent UTn are trying on offense.

3. The rest other than UF are irrelevant.

4. That leaves UF where the ex-AD apparently wanted to make UF into a UAL clone, but the fan base would have none of it.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Les would still be at LSU, possibly Richt at UGA, definitely Meyer at UF. He's run off anyone worth a flip because they can't beat him. Be interesting to see if the conference rebounds when he hangs it up.

We could rebound in a hurry if the admin would allow Mac to have the same number of staff members lil Nicky has. I'm talking about recruiting assistants, game plan assistants, film room assistants, quality assurance assistants, he literally has an army of "off the field" staff. If we'd open up the checkbook and do the same, we could also compete. I believe that wholeheartedly.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If the Big10 is littered with so many "good to great" coaches, why did they go 3-6 in Bowl Games while the SEC went 6-6.
*NC game not included

Mainly because of talent.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If the Big10 is littered with so many "good to great" coaches, why did they go 3-6 in Bowl Games while the SEC went 6-6.
*NC game not included
I was familiar with the "bowl losses" don't count, but I'm curious how you justify the NC bowl games losses don't count theory. This is bizarre even by pumper theories.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We could rebound in a hurry if the admin would allow Mac
We are never going to out-vanilla and out-TOP Bammer playing their game with their shytty boring OC.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
The SEC has never been this bad. The coaches have never been this bad. The teams have never been this bad. The league is full of a bunch of time of possession stone age offense neantherthal clones.
Sounds to me that we need a coach who is the 2nd coming of SOS.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Ive said this about saban before. He has created a talent void and vacuumm at both the coaching and player levels within the SEC. Good coaches are going elsewhere b/c they either cant get over the hump (and are being replaced by lesser ones by the way) or instead of coming to the SEC in the first place, they go to the ACC or Big10 to avoid him altogether.

From a player standpoint, unless the kid is a stud and bamma wants him, many are going to other conferences instead of other SEC schools so they can still play for conference and nattys. Saban has so owned the league that its just the way it is now. I think it will reset within 3-4 years of his exodus, but the question is, when does that exodus occur? This January loss if anything, probably made him double down, knowing his personality (Napoleon complex). I'm afraid its going to be like this for a while.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
This Saban licking in this thread is silly:

1. Good young coaches still want to come to the SEC. Bad ADs like Foley have been turning them away to attempt to replicate the awful UAL style they are jealous of. Good coaches are not staying away, they are not being hired.

2. Good players want to play in the SEC and compete still. Some good offensive players may head elsewhere as the SEC coaches are clueless about how to use them. That is only indirectly related to Saban because the SEC ADs are a bunch of copycat morons.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds to me that we need a coach who is the 2nd coming of SOS.
This conference is RIPE for a coach who throws the ball around, and I don't mean that sideways Big12/Mumme stuff. None of the team, including Bammer, can defend the pass because everyone recruits and plays run stuffer safeties and LBs and don't put much weight on guys who can play in coverage.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Bamma proves that defense wins Championships and everyone else is playing for 2nd place.
They should have beat Clemsux but choked, like everyone does from time to time.

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I was familiar with the "bowl losses" don't count, but I'm curious how you justify the NC bowl games losses don't count theory. This is bizarre even by pumper theories.

The story I quoted was written before the NC Game! Dumb Azz!

So the final tally is Big 10 - 3 wins, 6 loses ///// SEC - 6 wins, 7 loses...... does that satisfy your need for historical accuracy? Our no good coaches still won twice as many bowl games as the much praised Big 10!

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Bamma proves that defense wins Championships and everyone else is playing for 2nd place.
They should have beat Clemsux but choked, like everyone does from time to time.

Actually, I'm pretty sure had the referees in that game enforced the "no pick" rule, Bama would have won by 2 TDs. I was pretty pissed Clemson was allowed to run picks all night and it never got called on them. Twice for a TD in the redzone. You guys know I'm usually no Bama apologist, but that's how I saw it. Some may say they got what they deserved after getting away with holding for years and years, but in a Championship game, you have to enforce the rules fairly. Allowing Clemson's WRs to literally bump into Bamas DBs and knock them out of the play twice ending in TDs was a terrible job by those refs.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
The story I quoted was written before the NC Game! Dumb Azz!

So the final tally is Big 10 - 3 wins, 6 loses ///// SEC - 6 wins, 7 loses...... does that satisfy your need for historical accuracy? Our no good coaches still won twice as many bowl games as the much praised Big 10!

Relax. The reason he said that is there are a certain group of fans that do not count bowl wins when we lose but then suddenly...like this season...all of a sudden it counts when we win. LOL. Our own Foley refused to acknowledge CHump's UL bowl loss and referred to his 11-1 season many times post bowl loss. It filtered down to some of the fanbase.

I would like to say that our thumping of Iowa possibly helped in recruiting... maybe later than we hoped but helped nonetheless.

IMHO, all bowl games count.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We could rebound in a hurry if the admin would allow Mac to have the same number of staff members lil Nicky has. I'm talking about recruiting assistants, game plan assistants, film room assistants, quality assurance assistants, he literally has an army of "off the field" staff. If we'd open up the checkbook and do the same, we could also compete. I believe that wholeheartedly.

Navet steers us through the navigate of CFB holy waters.
I do think that down home southern beasts want to play in the SEC and the Saban inseine nets capture the max best, leaving us other schools thin in too many spots to be stellar competitors. Just knowing that your team could be much improved if you could add their 2nd stringer to your first string position. Do that three times at 3 positions and see how well we fare vs FSU.??

Some wiley recruiter needs to devise a way to get a kid to "emotionally feel" that 2nd string at Bama is
insulting, not worth the career gamble. Come to UF and show Saban you are 1st string all the way. Surely we can dredge up some pissed greyshirts or non-first stringers who Saban never tried to develop and get their signed "initialed" testymony? Oops? How that get in your brochure?

Last edited:

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
This list sucks! I'd put Sumlin at #1, Saban #2. I'd probably put Mullen and Orgeron 3 and 4, Freeze 5 and Mac 6th. Kirby is probably at 7 just because he's only got 1 year as a HC under his belt. Stoops at 8 and Malzhan 9th. Bert, Band Boy, Muschamp, Mason in whatever order you want from 10-13 and Odom in last place. That's how I see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.