Ranking the top 30 impact QB transfers for 2016

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaa...0-impact-qb-transfers-for-2016-213424757.html

Quarterback play is always under the microscope for every college football team. This position is the toughest to evaluate, develop and project for upcoming seasons. Finding a new starter or replacing a departing senior comes easy for some teams. While all teams would prefer to develop a quarterback pipeline through the recruiting ranks, a transfer from another program could be the right fit as the new starter. Whether it’s a one-year stopgap solution or a player that could develop into a multi-year starter, transfers can have an immediate impact for any program. It’s no secret transfers are a huge part of any offseason and can help the coaching staff bridge the gap to the next prospect or fill a void after a player didn’t develop as expected. The transfer carousel featured some big movement in the quarterback ranks this offseason. Here’s a look at the top 30 transfers - ranked by expected impact - at quarterback for the 2016 season:

Austin Appleby transferred from Purdue to Florida.

25. Austin Appleby, Florida (from Purdue)

Florida’s offense stalled after Will Grier’s suspension last season, but the quarterback depth in Gainesville looks a lot better for 2016. Appleby and Luke Del Rio are eligible as transfers, while true freshman Feleipe Franks also joined in time for spring ball. Appleby recorded 11 starts in three years at Purdue and threw for 2,777 yards in 17 overall appearances. The senior is likely to open the season as the Gators’ No. 2 quarterback.

5. Luke Del Rio, Florida (from Oregon State)

Florida’s offense struggled mightily once Will Grier was lost for the year due to a suspension. The Gators averaged only 22.7 points in SEC contests last season and tossed only five touchdown passes over the final six games. While the offense still has to prove in game action it found the right answers this offseason, it’s hard to envision this unit performing at the same level. Del Rio is eligible after sitting out 2015 as a transfer from Oregon State and finished spring as Florida’s No. 1 quarterback.
Luke – the son of NFL coach Jack Del Rio – spent one year at Alabama (2013) and played the 2014 season at Oregon State. In his time with the Beavers, Del Rio completed 8 of 18 passes for 141 yards. His experience is limited, but Del Rio should provide a boost for Florida’s passing game.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Dakota Prukop, Oregon (from Montana State)

A graduate transfer (Vernon Adams) from the FCS level at quarterback worked out well for Oregon in 2015. Prukop should be another good fit for the Ducks in their dynamic offense, as he transfers to Oregon after accounting for 3,822 yards and 39 total scores at Montana State last season. Additionally, Prukop earned first-team All-America honors by the Associated Press in 2015. It’s hard to read too much into spring game statistics, but Prukop appears to be making an easy transition into the program. The senior completed 20 of 29 throws for 190 yards and two touchdowns in Oregon’s spring game. While Prukop has an impressive resume from his stint at Montana State, he will be pushed by Travis Jonsen for the starting job. Prukop may not be the dynamic playmaker through the air that Adams was, but he will present a bigger threat on the ground to opposing defenses.

3. Trevor Knight, Texas A&M (from Oklahoma)

Oklahoma transfer Trevor Knight will provide stability at quarterback for Texas A&M. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki)

The December decisions by Kyle Allen and Kyler Murray to transfer from Texas A&M left coach Kevin Sumlin searching for immediate help at quarterback. Sumlin didn’t have to look too far for an answer, as Knight wanted an opportunity to start in his senior year with Baker Mayfield entrenched as Oklahoma’s No. 1 quarterback. Knight appeared to be on the verge of a breakout season after torching Alabama for 348 passing yards and four touchdowns in the 2014 Sugar Bowl. However, Knight didn’t build off that performance and finished the 2014 season with 2,300 passing yards and 14 touchdown passes. Mayfield supplanted Knight as Oklahoma’s starter in 2015. The senior should be a good fit in new coordinator Noel Mazzone’s offense and is surrounded by a deep group of skill players, including one of the SEC's top receiving corps. If Knight can stay healthy, he has a chance to finish 2016 as one of the SEC’s top quarterbacks.

2. Kenny Hill, TCU (from Texas A&M)

Even though TCU’s offense suffered some heavy losses, this unit may not slip too far on the stat sheet in 2016. Trevone Boykin leaves big shoes to fill at quarterback, but the Horned Frogs have two capable options – Kenny Hill and Foster Sawyer – waiting in the wings. Hill replaced Johnny Manziel after he left for the NFL in 2014 and started the first eight games of the season. The Texas native threw for 2,649 yards and 23 scores and added 156 yards on the ground during his starting stint. However, Hill struggled midway through the year and was eventually replaced by Kyle Allen. Since the arrival of co-coordinators Doug Meacham and Sonny Cumbie, TCU has averaged over 40 points in back-to-back seasons. With a loaded group of skill players at his disposal, Hill could be the point guard of an explosive TCU attack in 2016. However, he still has to hold off Sawyer for the starting job this fall.

1. Davis Webb, California (from Texas Tech)

Davis Webb has the potential to put up big numbers at Cal. (AP Photo/Tim Sharp, File)

Replacing the No. 1 overall pick (Jared Goff) in the NFL Draft is never easy, but California’s offense should be set with the addition of Davis Webb under center. Webb was the most sought after graduate transfer quarterback this season and was committed to Colorado before switching to California in May. The transition from Texas Tech’s offense to California’s Bear Raid attack should be an easy one for Webb, as new play-caller Jake Spavital operated a similar scheme at Texas A&M and West Virginia. During his three seasons with the Red Raiders, Webb threw for 5,557 yards and 46 scores. The Golden Bears will have a revamped group of receivers for Webb to throw to, but the senior is considered one of the top prospects at quarterback for the 2017 NFL Draft and should push for All-Pac-12 honors.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Del Rio is the highest one on the list for QBs who haven't played much at all. Hopefully it turns out to be correct.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
No mention of Trask. Franks, but not Trask? Fine, I'll just leave this right here.

"The future of the quarterback position in Gainesville is without a doubt Kyle Trask." ~ Shane Matthews ~

In all seriousness, I think LDR will be good.

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
I thought it was curious at the time that we were never in the Davis Webb sweepstakes, and instead wound up with Appleby. After the spring game it makes more sense to me. We weren't looking for a one year starter... We were looking for a one year back up while the freshmen got some seasoning.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
No mention of Trask. Franks, but not Trask? Fine, I'll just leave this right here.

"The future of the quarterback position in Gainesville is without a doubt Kyle Trask." ~ Shane Matthews ~

In all seriousness, I think LDR will be good.

I like Matthews a lot and know he just wants the best for us but hopefully he is right on Trask unlike a bunch of other stuff he has predicted. Just having Mac as the HC should make a difference at QB with the young guys.

"With Meyer now at Ohio State and head coach Will Muschamp at the helm in Gainesville, FL, Matthews told host Dan Hicken of Sports Radio 1010XL in Jacksonville that he sees a bright future ahead for his Gators.This coaching staff at Florida is the best we’ve ever had at that school – hands down from top-to-bottom – when you go from position-to-position and see where they’ve coached, what they’ve done,” he said. I love the staff. It’s going to take time because we just don’t have the athletes that the other big boys in the conference do. Matthews, who took over as head coach of Nease High School in January, said his appreciation for the coaching staff begins at the top with Muschamp. I love him. I love him. I’ve known him for a long time, he said. I played for Nick Saban. His last year [2006] at Miami was my last year [in the NFL]. [Muschamp is] a combination of a little bit of [Steve] Spurrier and a lot of Nick Saban. I like the guy. He was dealt a bad deck of cards. I don’t think people realize how bad that situation is and was.”

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I really like what I see here and thanks for sharing that link. If LDR can stay healthy I think that UF could be set up for great things. This is his team for the immediate future. And as some have already stated. Mac wants a longer solution than a one year shot. Appleby can be a serviceable backup. Whether if be Franks or Trask in the future who knows but one thing is for sure. We are in better shape than we have been in a long time at QB. Both Freshmen will need the time to absorb the game. Trask will benefit from the exposure and will not mind waiting. Franks will also need that time to correct alot of things that we saw in the spring.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I really like what I see here and thanks for sharing that link. If LDR can stay healthy I think that UF could be set up for great things. This is his team for the immediate future. And as some have already stated. Mac wants a longer solution than a one year shot. Appleby can be a serviceable backup. Whether if be Franks or Trask in the future who knows but one thing is for sure. We are in better shape than we have been in a long time at QB. Both Freshmen will need the time to absorb the game. Trask will benefit from the exposure and will not mind waiting. Franks will also need that time to correct alot of things that we saw in the spring.

I think LDR will be a pretty good QB for us. We can't expect it to look like the 5 quarters Grier had in the Tenn and Ole Miss games most of the time because I think some of that was Mac having a real big edge in game planning still and that is why it came back down to earth quite a bit in that Missouri game because they had some real tape to study by that point.

The things LDR will have going for him over last year is a stronger O line which should be able to run block a lot better this season and the offensive players should be a little more polished being its the 2nd year in Mac's system. Franks definitely has a lot to work on mentally with how he kept forcing the ball.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Average QB play this fall translates into 100% improvement for the passing game since we reeked of ass so bad last season post-Roid Boy getting the ax.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Average QB play this fall translates into 100% improvement for the passing game since we reeked of ass so bad last season post and pre-Roid Boy getting the ax (except for one game).
Astonishing how many of you forget we sucked in every game except Ole Piss.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
:crazy::crazy::crazy:

I'm beginning to think you people actually believe this TRASH.

You know, your right. Why should we believe seasoned coaches who make multi millions and are known for their evaluation skills and other sports figures who have years of experience when we have you. I need to remember your lama like knowledge.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You DON'T believe the seasoned coaches, several thousand, who passed on Trash. Or the scouts. Or the guys that run Elite 11 and the camps.

You guys start your lil bytch sessions every time someone ignores your favorite scout team clipboard holder.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
You know, your right. Why should we believe seasoned coaches who make multi millions and are known for their evaluation skills and other sports figures who have years of experience when we have you. I need to remember your lama like knowledge.

And remember Law has never been on a football field wearing a football uniform.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't actually get on the field in High School, much like Trash. I still made fun of band flags like you, Jmsk.

I didn't play much baseball either though I had a nice curve. Lollipop doesn't work if your heater doesn't have them on their heals. That being said, I can still tell you that Dusty Baker sucks.

Last edited:

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
You DON'T believe the seasoned coaches, several thousand, who passed on Trash. Or the scouts. Or the guys that run Elite 11 and the camps.

Did he try to enter the Elite 11? Do QBs have to get an invitation to be allowed to compete? I don't quite know how that works.

As for the other coaches and scouts, there are articles ( maybe just Gator propaganda?) that indicate he was largely ignored because he was sitting behind a dual threat stud. By "ignored," I mean they didn't bother to LOOK at him, while UF actually did their homework. If true, then some of your reasoning is flawed.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Even though this thread is about Del Rio and Appleby.....Franks and Trask are not transfers. With that being said and they're part of the discussion in this thread in comparison of the two Franks needs to do some work, Trask seems to being doing fine. Mac has got this. FWIW, they'll both be sitting behind LDR for a while, I hope.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Even though this thread is about Del Rio and Appleby.....Franks and Trask are not transfers. With that being said and they're part of the discussion in this thread in comparison of the two Franks needs to do some work, Trask seems to being doing fine. Mac has got this. FWIW, they'll both be sitting behind LDR for a while, I hope.

After watching both it does appear Franks has a lot more work to do.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
After watching both it does appear Franks has a lot more work to do.

Yes he does. I watched the Debut again this afternoon on the DVR. I know there is a huge knock on Trask due to his lack of playing time You would have expected someone like Franks with all that game time and highly touted that the roles would have been reversed. I'm not worried too much about that situation. Both are going to sit unless huge injuries. Like I've said before, I don't care what they've done in HS. We've had our share of HS superstars not pan out. Mac has had more experience developing QB's in recent years than any of our past coaches in several years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.