Recent Mississippi State signee arrested, charged with felony after drag-racing accident

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
How do you think this will be handled?

Recent Mississippi State commit arrested, charged with felony after drag-racing accident

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/m...arrested-charged-felony-drag-racing-accident/

New Mississippi State coach Joe Moorhead will have a disciplinary decision to make in the coming days, as a 2018 Bulldogs commit was arrested on Friday after a car crash on Wednesday.

According to The Clanton Advertiser, Nathaniel Watson Jr. was arrested for the drag-racing incident and charged with some serious crimes, including a felony charge of assault first degree.

The Maplesville Police Department described what happened, as Watson, a senior, and one of his classmates were the drivers of the racing vehicle:

“The accident occurred after Tyrone Davis, also a student at MHS, lined up in front of the school with his vehicle along with Nathaniel Watson’s vehicle for a race, witnesses stated that they lined up side by side and floored it, and both vehicles were squalling their tires and fishtailing up the highway heading into town,” according to an MPD press release. “As the racing vehicles topped a hill, an oncoming car caused Nathaniel Watson Jr. to swerve and lose control striking a power pole, cutting it in half and knocking power out to portions of Maplesville.”

The passenger in Watson’s car broke his femur, among other serious injuries.

Moorhead has yet to comment on the incident, but this isn’t a good look for Watson, a 3-star athlete. According to the 247Sports composite, he’s the No. 52 athlete in the class of 2018 and the No. 19 overall recruit from the state of Alabama.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
A charge of first-degree assault? Who did he assault? The power pole? :crazy:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
And if you're going to drag race on the street, do it with cars that actually have some power. What fun is it to race an old POS Impala?

FILE0003-622x350.jpg

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Drag racing and hills are not generally compatible.

So how big is the stupid tax bill on this? According to other reports his passenger was a 12-year-old. The injuries are described as including a crushed femur and fractured pelvis, plus broken arm and internal injuries. That kid will probably have a rod installed and spend the next 4-6 months learning to walk again. Is the willful negligence of racing causing injuries the basis for the assault charge?

Sad truth is his discipline from MSU will be directly proportional to his perceived value on the football field. This is too serious to chalk up to stupid teenage antics.

I don’t think it should end his opportunities but there ought to be serious consequences. If he didn’t tell MSU about it, I’d void his scholarship immediately. JuCo purgatory here he comes - once the felony charge is adjudicated.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And if you're going to drag race on the street, do it with cars that actually have some power. What fun is it to race an old POS Impala?
He was probably racing some douchenozzle in a riceboyed pos Civic w an auto transmission and undoubtedly would have won.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
When I last lived in Gainesville (2001-04), I had a 1995 Dodge Stealth AWD Twin Turbo that I hopped up and I would intentionally go around terrorizing ricers (I called it "rice hunting"). I could hear that fart can from miles away and it would draw me like a bee to honey. I would catch up with them in traffic and blip my throttle a little. Inevitably, they would floor it, thinking their 115 HP Civic was suddenly a Lambo because they had added a cone air filter and pillar gauges.

It never ended well for them.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Inevitably, they would floor it, thinking their 115 HP Civic was suddenly a Lambo because they had added a cone air filter and pillar gauges.
Thise azzwipes are hilarious. Driving around in POS that would get smoked by a v6 Dodge Caravan and thinking they rule the streets.

Fake Type R stickers or "Turbo" stickers are even better.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
A charge of first-degree assault? Who did he assault? The power pole? :crazy:
It's because of the injury to the passenger. The law cites "negligently causing bodily harm to another with a deadly weapon or other means likely to produce death or serious bodily harm."

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
A very closed first cousin of mine was killed in a drag racing mishap many years ago. He lost control of his car and crashed. Took place in the flat lands of central Florida. He was known for having the fastest car around and was so called "king of the hill" until that tragic night. Not making a judgement call here, just reporting the facts.

AnObfuscator

Lifetime Member
Nov 20, 2017
If it was just drag racing I wouldn't really consider it a big deal, but that was pretty irresponsible and it resulted in some really serious injuries.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's because of the injury to the passenger. The law cites "negligently causing bodily harm to another with a deadly weapon or other means likely to produce death or serious bodily harm."
I'm going to have to look at that statute later, but I find it unlikely that an assault statute has a "negligently" mens rea.

edit: insanity, and yet... m'ssippi.

Last edited:

Caloosahatchee

I voted for Law!
Sep 12, 2014
When I last lived in Gainesville (2001-04), I had a 1995 Dodge Stealth AWD Twin Turbo that I hopped up and I would intentionally go around terrorizing ricers (I called it "rice hunting"). I could hear that fart can from miles away and it would draw me like a bee to honey. I would catch up with them in traffic and blip my throttle a little. Inevitably, they would floor it, thinking their 115 HP Civic was suddenly a Lambo because they had added a cone air filter and pillar gauges.

It never ended well for them.

My last years there as I finished up school, 05 to 08, I had a lightly modified 2004 SRT4. I liked that little car. Didn't have AWD traction, but with the limited slip it would dust quite a few cars, especially from a roll. Used to love destroying those ricers with an American car! STi and Evolutions not included.... lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator