The National Signing Day Thread

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
If we lose Corral, is there a chance UF can flip Justin Fields from UGA?

I'm sure if we get Kelly or Frost (or any other spread type coach) we'll put out offers to a ton of committed players....especially QBs. I'm happy we have Corral committed (and I think he sticks - as he's still recruiting kids for us), but Fields was my favorite of the QBs we were in on earlier in the process. I'm sure Kelly would love to have a QB like Fields as well (#perfectfit).

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I'm sure if we get Kelly or Frost (or any other spread type coach) we'll put out offers to a ton of committed players....especially QBs. I'm happy we have Corral committed (and I think he sticks - as he's still recruiting kids for us), but Fields was my favorite of the QBs we were in on earlier in the process. I'm sure Kelly would love to have a QB like Fields as well (#perfectfit).

But it's the same routine we've seen over and over again. Our top commitment can say he's recruiting for us all he wants, but as long as he's exploring his options, he's basically telling those same prospects that he's unsure about his own standing with UF. It simply doesn't work, and is part of why we've had horrible classes recently. Our "pillar of strength", the guy who's been raving about this "class for the ages" isn't even convinced he wants to be a part of it.

I don't think we are even close with Fields. The dogs are having one of those momentum years(like ours in 2006) where kids are totally swept up in the aura without thinking about how they actually fit.

I'm fine if we land no top target QB this year, as we knew this was a possibility. But it really seems like we could avoid that if we move quickly to land and announce a coach. I'd also rather see or hear that the AD is contacting some of these priority kids to assure them that a plan is in place and they'll be happy, rather than misdirection and tweets about how we shouldn't believe what we hear.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
But it's the same routine we've seen over and over again. Our top commitment can say he's recruiting for us all he wants, but as long as he's exploring his options, he's basically telling those same prospects that he's unsure about his own standing with UF. It simply doesn't work, and is part of why we've had horrible classes recently. Our "pillar of strength", the guy who's been raving about this "class for the ages" isn't even convinced he wants to be a part of it.

I don't think we are even close with Fields. The dogs are having one of those momentum years(like ours in 2006) where kids are totally swept up in the aura without thinking about how they actually fit.

I'm fine if we land no top target QB this year, as we knew this was a possibility. But it really seems like we could avoid that if we move quickly to land and announce a coach. I'd also rather see or hear that the AD is contacting some of these priority kids to assure them that a plan is in place and they'll be happy, rather than misdirection and tweets about how we shouldn't believe what we hear.

Well, that's the other side of the coin. But I think Corral is a solid commit. Honestly, which recruit from McElwain's classes recruited hard for us? Franks was as quiet as I've ever seen a QB commit after he flipped from LSU. This is the first time I remember our recruiting class being "all in" since Meyer's classes. Of course your scenario could happen....but it could turn out to be our best class since Meyer's 2010 group. I agree on Fields, but the new coach...especially if it's Frost or Kelly should definitely reach out. And it seems that Stricklin has indeed spoken to all of our commits. I'm not sure what he's told them, but he's definitely reached out to them.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

According to Shannon's interview last week, a part of the schedule including the AD is doing just that with our recruits. Letting them know what is going to in the process and what is the plan.

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
Agree we need to keep Corral. Also agree that Fields looks to be a better fit for Kelly's offense. Any chance that Corral would not be comfortable in Kelly's spread O? Another huge reason we need to get our new coach named asap. The longer the search goes the more we "spook the herd".

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
An extenuating, NCAA-SEC-allowed straight transfer to any school should be allowed whenever the "leave-behind" school already has 2- 5* QBs ahead of you and some school just hired a dual-QB spred type offense. I'm callin' Finebaum!

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is a surprise considering their momentum right now...

Derick Hunter backs off Miami pledge
In-state defensive lineman back on the market after decommitment.

https://florida.247sports.com/Article/Derick-Hunter-decommits-from-the-Miami-Hurricanes-110576110

Ft. Myers (Fla.) Dunbar 2019 defensive end Derick Hunter decommitted from Miami on Thursday after being committed to the Hurricanes for five months.

Not long after the 6-foot-5, 250-pound prospect gave the 'Canes his pledge in June, there were rumblings he might flip to Florida in late July. Those rumors never came to fruition then, but he is back on the market now.

The industry-generated 247Sports Composite currently ranks Hunter as the nation's No. 162 overall prospect in the 2019 class. Auburn, Florida State, Michigan are a few of the other programs that have offered Hunter.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
We better not miss out on this kid (and his teammate):

Top100 OT William Barnes Updates Recruitment
Four-star OT William Barnes details UF coaching change

https://florida.247sports.com/Artic...da-Gators-coaching-change-and-more--110370578

SAMFORD, Fla. – The Apopka Blue Darters picked up a big 54-21 win in the first round of the Florida High School Playoffs. Getting a chance to keep fighting for a state championship is something four-star tackle William Barnesand his teammates are focused on.

“It was a great win but now it’s on to the next one you know,” said Barnes after the win. “We are back to 0-0 and we need to focus on the next game and winning that. It was a great win out here though with my team and I love my brothers. We work our butts off each week and I am glad to get another week with these guys as we keep fighting.”

Thus far in his recruiting process, Barnes has yet to take any of his five allotted official visits. However, those plans will likely change this coming weekend as Barnes has one destination in mind.

“I think I am going to take a visit to Ohio State next,” said Barnes. “I’m not totally sure yet if it’s going to be an official visit but I think it will be.”

Columbus isn’t the only official visit destination in mind for the four-star big man.

“I know I will be taking a visit to North Carolina in January and then I plan on probably taking an official visit with Georgia and probably Auburn.”

The Florida Gators have been the school seen as the team to beat for the 6-foot-4, 312-pounder. The Gators are in the midst of a coaching change after splitting ties with Jim McElwain a few weeks ago. Despite the change at the top, Barnes admits the Gators are still in play.

“They’re definitely still in it,” said Barnes of UF. “I like the will they show to always try to win no matter what the situation is. Losing a head coach is always awful but those guys are still fighting and trying to win.”

Since McElwain’s firing, others from UF have reached out to their top offensive line target.

“I hear from Coach [Randy] Shannon a little bit and I hear from Coach [Brad] Davis still. He is just trying to wait and see what is going on and see where he is going to be. He just tells me to stick with him.”

Living just a few hours from Gainesville, Barnes grew up a fan of the Florida Gators. Another school right in his backyard are the UCF Knights, who currently are riding an undefeated season under second year Coach Scott Frost, who Barnes thinks would be a good fit in Gainesville.

“You know I think Florida is going to make a great hire no matter who they get and obviously, they are more qualified to hire guys than me. I think I would like to see Coach Frost at Florida though. That would be cool to see what he does there and what he can do with their offense. That would be exciting to see who they are going to hire.”

Going forward Barnes plans to make his commitment known on National Signing Day in February. The Gators and Tarheels have been the co-leaders in this recruitment for some time, but with UF in a coaching change and UNC 2-8 he is listening to what others have to say.

“I am trying to see where Florida and even UNC go at this point,” said Barnes. “I am taking this time to explore other options and see what Georgia or Auburn has to offer. They seem like great schools with great coaches. I’ve been to Auburn before and it was beautiful.”

The 247Sports Composite, an industry generated average, currently ranks Barnes as the No. 52 overall prospect in the 2018 recruiting class.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Please, at our in-home recruiting visits can we show this video to parents and recruits -- especially those considering Michigan, North Carolina, Clemson, Wisconsin, etc :

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Not long after the 6-foot-5, 250-pound prospect gave the 'Canes his pledge in June, there were rumblings he might flip to Florida in late July...
We have eight undersized DEs onnthe roster already

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
“We’re just visiting. That’s all it is. It doesn’t mean anything,” Corral’s father said of the Alabama trip.

That changes my perception entirely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.