The National Signing Day Thread

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
We have eight undersized DEs onnthe roster already

Dude, he's a senior in HS and is 6'5 250. I'll take that ALL DAY LONG! He'd be one of the biggest DE's (weight wise) we've taken in a while. Most of our DE's come out of HS at 6'3, 6'4 and 230-ish. This kid will be 270+ w/ a real S&C program (not a Butters/Mike Kent one).

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Dude, he's a senior in HS and is 6'5 250. I'll take that ALL DAY LONG! He'd be one of the biggest DE's (weight wise) we've taken in a while. Most of our DE's come out of HS at 6'3, 6'4 and 230-ish. This kid will be 270+ w/ a real S&C program (not a Butters/Mike Kent one).

... for sure, raise the bar on a real weights program, now that sounds uplifting.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Chip Kelly hire would have immediate impact on Florida’s final Class of 2018 recruiting push

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...act-floridas-final-class-2018-recruiting-push

Florida’s football coaching search has reached the point where reporters are checking flight logs by the hour and fans are tuning in to watch a live-stream camera feed at the local airport, hoping for visual proof to the buzz and rumors linking Chip Kelly to the Gators.

Most fans have formed an opinion on that potential hire, with the majority expressing excitement about what the former Oregon and NFL coach could do in Gainesville.

The bigger question (well, aside from whether Kelly actually will become Florida’s next coach) is how recruits would react if Kelly took over the Gators.

As the Kelly story is dominating the discussion this week, the latest Gators Mailbag Question of the Day takes a look at that angle.

Blake O. asks … “With Chip Kelly at coach, do you think recruits not interested in Florida now become interested in playing at UF?”

Definitely. Without question. No doubt. There really isn’t a strong enough way to answer this question.

There is no hire Florida could make (even UCF’s Scott Frost, who would also be a terrific choice if mutual interest aligned) that would make a bigger immediate impact nationally on the recruiting trail.

It’s honestly incredible that former coach Jim McElwain and beleaguered offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier were able to attract as many marquee offensive recruits (including the Class of 2018 commits) as they did despite a lack of tangible offensive results.

Surely, there were many other top prospects who saw that plodding and ineffective offense ranked in the 100s nationally year after year and decided they didn’t want to tie their futures to the Gators.

That should change immediately if — and that if must continue to be reiterated — Kelly is offered and accepts the Florida job.

As we broke down extensively, Kelly proved he could turn 3-star recruits and junior college transfers at Oregon into stars and get them to the NFL (let alone higher-ranked prospects). Quarterback Marcus Mariota became the No. 2 pick in the NFL draft, running backs LaMichael James and Kenjon Barner put up huge numbers and got shots at the next level. Jeff Maehl was listed as a cornerback by the national recruiting services, yet finished with 2,311 receiving yards and 24 touchdowns at Oregon.

All of those guys were rated 3-star prospects on the 247Sports composite.

Maybe a guy such as 4-star wide receiver Ja’Marr Chase, who de-committed from Florida after McElwain was let go, looks at the prodigious numbers Kelly’s offenses at Oregon put up and decides he wants back in the Gators signing class.

Maybe he doesn’t, but there would no doubt be countless other prospects who look at Florida a little differently if Kelly is hired.

The Gators would be pitching a whole new product, an entirely different opportunity. They’d not only be pitching their brand, but also Kelly’s established track record.

And that would be pretty hard to not take a second look at … if it happens.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
From Zach A (i.e. Crucial):

Commits (18)
Top 5 targets
4-star OL William Barnes, Apopka (Fla.)

4-star WR Ja’Marr Chase, Archbishop Rummel (Metairie, La.)

4-star OL Nicholas Petit-Frere, Berkeley Prep (Tampa, Fla.)

4-star DE Andrew Chatfield, American Heritage (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.)

4-star LB Richard Jibunor, Athens Christian (Athens, Ga.)

Position breakdown
Here’s a breakdown of the number of commits by position and how many are projected to be signed at the position:

• QB: 1/1 (Corral)
  • RB: 2/2 (Clement, Pierce)
  • TE: 2/2 (Lang, Pitts)
  • WR: 3/5 (Copeland, Gammage, Thornton)
  • OL: 2/5 (Dunlap, Gouraige)
  • DL: 1/3 (Upshaw)
  • LB: 1/1 (Reese)
  • DB: 3/4 (Russell, Wilson, Williams)
  • ATH: 3/3 (Bethel, Burney, Williams)
Geographical breakdown
Here’s a breakdown of Florida’s commits by state:

• California: 1 (Corral)
  • Florida: 14 (Bethel, Burney, Copeland, Dunlap, Gammage, Gouraige, Lang, Reese, Russell, Thornton, Upshaw, D. Williams, J. Williams, Wilson)
  • Georgia: 1 (Pierce)
  • New Jersey: 1 (Clement)
  • Pennsylvania: 1 (Pitts)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Meanwhile....

Georgia lands massive defensive tackle prospect over geographic rivals

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/g...-defensive-tackle-prospect-geographic-rivals/

Charlotte, N.C., defensive tackle Jordan Davis has committed to Georgia.

Davis, who is a 6-foot-6, 330-pound prospect in the class of 2018, announced his decision to join the Bulldogs on Thursday night.

Classified as a 4-star prospect and rated as the nation’s No. 27 defensive tackle, according to the 247Sports Composite, Davis appears to be a solid pickup for the ‘Dawgs on the interior of the defense.

In addition to the offer he received from UGA, Davis had other opportunities with Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Miami and Michigan — just to name a few.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thought he was a ‘19 kid

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Please, at our in-home recruiting visits can we show this video to parents and recruits -- especially those considering Michigan, North Carolina, Clemson, Wisconsin, etc :

Don't be dissing NC rog!:nono: We get maybe 1 or 2 snows here a year and rarely does it get as much as a foot deep. Snow ain't that much of an issue here.:trux:

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Expecting law to be fair is like expecting Mac to field an offense, or Muschamp not to recruit DBs.
Law can be an ass, but if you post something accurate, he’s going to give you a like. He hates me and still gives me likes. So maybe it’s a content issue?

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
If the report that Corral is a "back up" plan for Bama, and won't even receive an offer on this visit is true, I don't think we have much to worry about. In fact, they may be doing more harm than good by bringing him in and then not offering. I can't imagine a recruit with his talent not coming away from that without being a little pissed. Here's to Saban burning that bridge and then missing on the OSU commit as well.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If the report that Corral is a "back up" plan for Bama, and won't even receive an offer on this visit is true, I don't think we have much to worry about. In fact, they may be doing more harm than good by bringing him in and then not offering. I can't imagine a recruit with his talent not coming away from that without being a little pissed. Here's to Saban burning that bridge and then missing on the OSU commit as well.
Bama is his backup for us, in case Strickland Shyts the bed. I think it’d Have to be a real shytty hire for him to bail

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Chip Kelly as a recruiter at Florida wouldn’t have any problems

http://gridironnow.com/chip-kelly-recruiter-florida-problems/2/

Before Kelly’s arrival – and before he brought his brand of the spread offense with him – the Ducks made do with recruiting classes that barely were in the top 50 nationally.

Kelly’s offense was one reason Oregon went from 50th nationally in the 2006 recruiting rankings to a top-15 class in 2007. Kelly took over as the Ducks’ coach following the 2008 season, and in his four-season tenure (2009-12), Oregon was in the top-15 of the final national recruiting rankings three times.

2009: 30th (27 signees, with four four- or five-star prospects)
2010: 12th (26 signees, with 11 four- or five-star prospects)
2011: 12th (26 signees, with nine four- or five-star prospects)
2012: 14th (21 signees, with 11 four- or five-star prospects)

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Corral would never sign with Bama. The kid has a huge ego and he would never accept sitting the bench for the next 3-4 years.

The name to watch, if Kelly is introduced as a coach, is :

# 13 ranked QB Jarren WilliamsCentral Gwinnett (Lawrenceville, GA) DUAL 6-2 206

1_7664474.jpg

He decommitted from UK, again

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Corral would never sign with Bama. The kid has a huge ego and he would never accept sitting the bench for the next 3-4 years.

1_7664474.jpg

Most likely Miami-bound

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

1_7664474.jpg

Bama was after him, but he's Miami's top target and several crystal ball predictions for Miami.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Chip Kelly or Mark Richt

they don't even compare

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Don't be dissing NC rog!:nono: We get maybe 1 or 2 snows here a year and rarely does it get as much as a foot deep. Snow ain't that much of an issue here.:trux:

Sorry didn't notice any NC tag. I wasn't dissing NC, Nav. I learned to ski there, learn to ice skate there. I just chose by shortest video showing the most out of control ice-skid cars.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think you mistake my sentiments. I wouldn't jab law if I didn't like him.
Ancient knows he is my favorite crusty old optimist. Although he certainly has been doomsaying about the coaching hire and almost hoping we get a third straight POS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.