The National Signing Day Thread

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
4-star Safety, Amari Burney to decide on June 1st:

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/amari-burney-florida-gators-decision

Decision looming for Amari Burney
Amari Burney is less than two weeks away from decision day.

The 4-star safety from Clearwater, Fla., will reveal his college choice in a commitment video on June 1, the birthday of his late grandfather.

“I’m ready for it,” Burney told SEC Country. “It’s going to be a big moment for me and my family when I commit.”

Burney is nation’s No. 10 safety and No. 104 overall prospect, according to the 247Sports composite rankings. He holds more than 20 scholarship offers, but his finalists are Florida, Ohio State and Virginia Tech.

His relationship with the UF coaches and their consistent pursuit helped the Gators make the cut.

“They did a lot to be one of my final schools,” Burney said. “They’ve been there since that first summer when they saw me. They hit me up all the time and keep in contact. Every time they come down this way they see me, so that’s a good feeling.

“The coaches feel like family and that’s what they represent. I know they’re going to take care of me like I’m their own son, so that’s a relief for me and my parents.”

The 6-foot-1, 215-pound prospect speaks almost daily with Florida coach Jim McElwain and offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier, his area recruiter. In addition to his defensive load, Burney revealed the staff intends to give him some snaps on offense.

“Coach Nuss told me I could play either side of the ball. That really caught my attention,” said Burney, who is a two-way player at Calvary Christian High. “He’s the first coach to tell me that and that’s a big factor. He told me I would play mainly safety, but they’ll have some offensive packages for me.”

Jim McElwain’s gesture
Burney camped at Florida as a rising sophomore during McElwain’s first summer in Gainesville.

Burney made the move to safety that fall and impressed the UF staff with his play in 2015. He attended Florida’s junior day event in January 2016 and received an offer directly from McElwain.

“That was the first ‘wow’ moment in my recruitment,” Burney said of the Florida offer. “They called me into McElwain’s office and I was kind of shaking a little bit. He offered me and it was unbelievable. It kind of hit me that I’m a big deal to them for the head coach to offer me.”

Calvary Christian coach Todd Yoder is a former Vanderbilt tight end who played nine years in the NFL. He believes Florida has benefited from jumping on Burney before other programs.

“They were one of the first bigger schools to really show that much interest in him,” Yoder said. “Coach Mac came down and did a visit with him in this very office. To have the head coach come all this way just to show him [what] he means to their recruiting class, I think that was special.

“They kind of identified him early as a kid that they sought and wanted. Some other schools were later into the mix and I think a lot of kids feel a little bit of loyalty to the schools that are on them early. So I think Florida did a good job with that.”

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
4-star DT visits Gators
Florida extended an offer in March to Alim McNeill, a 4-star defensive tackle from Raleigh, N.C. In return, McNeill made his way to the Sunshine State during his spring break to check out the Gators last week.

“Everything was nice,” McNeill told SEC Country. “It was my first time visiting. I met all the coaches and we toured the facilities and academic center. It was nice down there.”

McNeill also took a trip to FSU while in Florida. The 6-foot-2, 272-pound lineman holds offers from more than two dozen schools, including Michigan, South Carolina and Tennessee.

McNeill, who is ranked the nation’s No. 21 prospect at this position in the 247Sports Composite, plans to make his decision in December.

My take:
Ranked # 19DT by 247 with a edge to the Hokies at this point. A visit could make this interesting as I don't get the feel he has a strong leader.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
What's the Intel on this Marianna? Have heard that UGA has couple of highly rated backs committed and were pretty cool on Dameon. Of course, Kirby is an alum of Bainbridge HS and that could always be a factor.
They do...but they are still heavily in the mix...it'd say it's about 50/50 for us at the moment.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
With Florida's quarterback board currently consisting of two prospects who are committed elsewhere, the Gators will visit with Norton (Ks.) three-star Jace Ruder on Monday.

The 6-foot-3, 205-pound dual-threat quarterback was committed to Tulsa, but has reopened his process. He has offers from Georgia, Florida State and North Carolina among others.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
FLORIDA STATE COMMIT OFFERED

Florida has extended an offer to Florida State commit Patrick Joyner - a 6-foot-2, 205-pound defensive end out of Homestead (Fla.).

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
FLORIDA STILL RECRUITING FOUR-STAR COMMITTED TO MICHIGAN

From Chad Simmons: Florida is one of several schools in the southeast who is still recruiting four-star linebacker Otis Reese. Despite the fact that he remains committed to Michigan, the Leesburg (Fa.) Lee County standout is still listening to others.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Tuesday, May 16, 2017 5:56 p.m.
THREE MORE OFFERS

A few more afternoon offers handed out by Florida:

* Buford (Ga.) 2019 running back Derrian Brown.

* Powder Springs (Ga.) Hillgrove 2019 four-star cornerback Jaylen McCollough

* 6-foot-4, 310-pound offensive guard Harry Miller is the third offensive lineman from his high school offered by Florida today.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Clicked on Harry Miller's name. Wow video! We actually need that team's OC who devised & schemed those plays plus we could use their OL coach who taught those immature fellows to pull and block like that. It shows that complex plays can be precisely executed by even immature developing OL athletes. Trap blocking is super-smart, misdirection causes many DLs to stumble off-balance. Go Gators

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
4-star Safety, Amari Burney to decide on June 1st:

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/amari-burney-florida-gators-decision

Decision looming for Amari Burney
Amari Burney is less than two weeks away from decision day.

The 4-star safety from Clearwater, Fla., will reveal his college choice in a commitment video on June 1, the birthday of his late grandfather.

“I’m ready for it,” Burney told SEC Country. “It’s going to be a big moment for me and my family when I commit.”

Burney is nation’s No. 10 safety and No. 104 overall prospect, according to the 247Sports composite rankings. He holds more than 20 scholarship offers, but his finalists are Florida, Ohio State and Virginia Tech.

His relationship with the UF coaches and their consistent pursuit helped the Gators make the cut.

“They did a lot to be one of my final schools,” Burney said. “They’ve been there since that first summer when they saw me. They hit me up all the time and keep in contact. Every time they come down this way they see me, so that’s a good feeling.

“The coaches feel like family and that’s what they represent. I know they’re going to take care of me like I’m their own son, so that’s a relief for me and my parents.”

The 6-foot-1, 215-pound prospect speaks almost daily with Florida coach Jim McElwain and offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier, his area recruiter. In addition to his defensive load, Burney revealed the staff intends to give him some snaps on offense.

“Coach Nuss told me I could play either side of the ball. That really caught my attention,” said Burney, who is a two-way player at Calvary Christian High. “He’s the first coach to tell me that and that’s a big factor. He told me I would play mainly safety, but they’ll have some offensive packages for me.”

Jim McElwain’s gesture
Burney camped at Florida as a rising sophomore during McElwain’s first summer in Gainesville.

Burney made the move to safety that fall and impressed the UF staff with his play in 2015. He attended Florida’s junior day event in January 2016 and received an offer directly from McElwain.

“That was the first ‘wow’ moment in my recruitment,” Burney said of the Florida offer. “They called me into McElwain’s office and I was kind of shaking a little bit. He offered me and it was unbelievable. It kind of hit me that I’m a big deal to them for the head coach to offer me.”

Calvary Christian coach Todd Yoder is a former Vanderbilt tight end who played nine years in the NFL. He believes Florida has benefited from jumping on Burney before other programs.

“They were one of the first bigger schools to really show that much interest in him,” Yoder said. “Coach Mac came down and did a visit with him in this very office. To have the head coach come all this way just to show him [what] he means to their recruiting class, I think that was special.

“They kind of identified him early as a kid that they sought and wanted. Some other schools were later into the mix and I think a lot of kids feel a little bit of loyalty to the schools that are on them early. So I think Florida did a good job with that.”

It would be really nice if we could reel him in. But I really think that he's gonna be a bucknut.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
It would be really nice if we could reel him in. But I really think that he's gonna be a bucknut.

Which is sad. Another Florida HS kid going to play for Urban in Ohio. I hope we somehow land this kid...but I see him as a future LB. He's already 215lbs and has another full year of HS to go!

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
5-star QB Justin Fields, father discuss Florida Gators

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/justin-fields-florida-gators

Latest on Justin Fields
Spring football concluded last Friday for 5-star quarterback Justin Fields, who led Harrison High School (Kennesaw, Ga.) to a 36-0 win in its spring game.

SEC Country was on hand and spoke with Fields afterward about his Penn State commitment and being recruited by other schools, including Florida.

Fields was offered by the Gators in March and has been the No. 1 QB target on their board since then. Florida offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier evaluated Fields twice this spring and they communicate regularly.

However, Nussmeier isn’t the only UF assistant in contact with Fields.

“At least five (Florida) coaches text me every day,” he said.

That includes Gators coach Jim McElwain, who has yet to solidify his quarterback position. The roster features a few talented passers, but they’re all young and inexperienced.

And until one of the them gets a stranglehold on the starting job, McElwain and Nussmeier will keep an open competition.

“They say they can [accomplish] big things with me and compete for a national championship,” Fields said. “They’re mainly saying that they’re just missing a quarterback. They have all the pieces to the puzzle. That’s their main message.”

That message is resonating with Fields, an Elite 11 finalist and the nation’s No. 1 dual-threat quarterback in the 247Sports composite rankings. Fields said he likes Florida’s offensive system and has a good rapport with McElwain & Co., but his opportunity to play early trumps all.

“The most appealing thing about Florida is probably their quarterback room,” Fields said. “That helps them.”

Final decision
UF isn’t the only program pursuing the Penn State pledge. Florida State and Georgia are on his trail, and Alabama offered in February.

Fields plans to take official visits this fall but hasn’t scheduled any trips yet. Asked when a final decision will have to be made, Fields wasn’t sure.

“I don’t really know. I haven’t thought about it,” Fields said. “It definitely has my mind spinning with all these schools coming at me. But it is definitely just a great feeling to get this recognition from these schools. … That is really what I always wanted.”

Despite that interest, Fields maintains he’s solid with the Nittany Lions. The Penn State commits are in a group chat and Fields said they text each other daily.

It will be important for Florida and others to develop a similar connection with Fields. Ultimately, his recruitment will come down to relationships.

“I know some great quarterbacks redshirt their freshman year just to learn the system and get a close relationship with the receivers. So, it’s not really a big factor, playing my first year,” Fields said. “The most important factor is how well I fit into the academics, how the family environment is there and just having a great relationship with the coaches.”

Fields’ father, Ivant Fields, is helping him handle the recruiting process. And while he offers his advice and opinions, he’s leaving the decision up to his son.

“I’ve spoken to the Florida coaches when they come by the school because I work there,” said Ivant Fields, a resource officer and retired policeman. “We exchanged pleasantries and they seem like pretty nice guys.

“We’re letting him work that [decision] out within himself. It’s part of being a man — evolving. He’s a young man on the brink of being a man, so he has to figure that out.”

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
“They say they can [accomplish] big things with me and compete for a national championship,” Fields said. “They’re mainly saying that they’re just missing a quarterback. They have all the pieces to the puzzle. That’s their main message.”

This does not bode well for our current crop of QBs. I hope we land Fields because if we do not Mac/Nuss/Us are F ed.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What happened to 'hopeful' J? :sadnanner:
Burney says a lot of really good things about the good guys - be hard to imagine him not picking the Gators.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Burney says a lot of really good things about the good guys - be hard to imagine him not picking the Gators.
It's hard to imagine us beating osu and meyer head to head for anyone right now.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Athens (Ga.) Christian outside linebacker Richard Jibunor landed an offer from the Florida Gators on Tuesday. The 6-foot-3, 210-pound prospect already had tenders from Auburn, Notre Dame, Tennessee and others.

The 247Sports Crystal Ball currently has 100-percent of the predictions in favor of Auburn for Jibunor.

247Sports is higher on Jibunor than the rest of the industry by having him ranked as the nation's No. 219, while the industry generated 247Sports Composite ranks him No. 428.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
With Planation (Fla.) American Heritage conducting their spring scrimmage on Tuesday, Florida Gators defensive coordinator Randy Shannon and defensive line coach Chris Rumph are expected to be in attendance. The Patriots are always talented season after season and have numerous top prospects on their roster once again. The crown jewel there for many colleges remains to be five-star cornerback Patrick Surtain Jr., who has numerous schools chasing after his commitment. LSU currently leads for his services, and is the team leading in the 247Sports Crystal Ball predictions as well.

Other prospects in attendance the Florida Gators have interest in are four-star Tyson Campbell, four-star Anthony Schwartz, four-star Andrew Chatfield, and three-star Nesta Silvera.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Looks like we're a little late to this party...

Gators evaluate new QB target

Gators evaluate a new QB target. Could an offer be soon to come?

http://florida.247sports.com/Article/The-Florida-Gators-went-to-observe-a-new-QB-target-52864351

On Monday, University of Florida offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier spent some time in the state of Kansas to check in on a new possible quarterback target. The target he was there to see in action was Norton (KS) three-star quarterback Jace Ruder, who recently backed off a commitment to Tulsa and now has many big time programs chasing after him. The Gators have yet to offer him a scholarship, but made sure to do their due diligence and see Ruder live in action.

"I really appreciate him making the effort to get out here," said Ruder of Nussmeier. "The workout went very well and when we talked on the phone afterwards, he said he was gonna get back to Gainesville and evaluate it and hit me up. On the phone, coach said he really was impressed with what he saw. So we'll see what happens."

The Gators are still on the lookout for their quarterback for the 2018 class, and are still in the early stages of getting to know Ruder. From what Ruder has learned thus far about Coach Nussmeier has piqued his interest.

"I've only actually talked with him once prior to today. And it was to just finalize plans for him to get here, but the conversations we have had have been good. He seems like a great guy. I really don't even know a lot about their team other than they are well respected."

Just before backing off his early commit to Tulsa, quite a few time programs like Florida State, Georgia, North Carolina, Iowa, and Wyoming extended offers. He hasn't narrowed and kind of leaderboard at this time, but does hope to see quite a few schools in the next several weeks.

"If Florida offers I will while I'm down there visiting UNC, Georgia, and FSU," said Ruder. "It'll be the week of June 13-19 when I take those trips."

Though he isn't giving any one team the edge in his recruitment, the 6-foot-3, 215-pounder has noticed one schools that is recruiting him the hardest currently.

"North Carolina has been the most active lately," said Ruder. "They just have been catching up, nothing in particular. Just creating that relationship that will be needed."

So where would the Gators fit into the big picture if they pulled the trigger and offered?

"They would definitely be in the mix," said Ruder of the Gators. "Coach Nuss has some good experience from what he said over the phone and Florida is playing big time games every week."

When it comes to making his final commitment, Ruder hopes to have an idea of where he will be going to school sometime after his summer visits conclude.

"Obviously with the QB position, the timeline is usually shortened quite a bit. So I would like to know by the end of the summer, but I also don't want to rush a decision. So if it needs to take longer then it will."

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Well I think it's between us and them. 50/50 tossups haven't really been going our way over the last few years. And he's in our backyard. We've lost a few like that.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Nicholas Petit-Frere talks Gators
Nicholas Petit-Frere is one of Florida’s top targets on the offensive line in the 2018 recruiting cycle.

The 4-star tackle from Berkeley Prep (Tampa, Fla.) received an offer from UF in February of last year and the Gators have been on his trail since.

“They’re a great program,” Petit-Frere said of Florida. “I know that they have a lot of history behind them. They have a lot of great coaches there and they’re trying to make a good team great.”

The 6-foot-6, 260-pound lineman is ranked the nation’s No. 5 offensive tackle and No. 55 overall prospect in the 247Sports Composite. Petit-Frere hears from multipe coaches on Florida’s staff.

“I talk a little bit with everyone,” Petit-Frere. “I usually try to talk with Coach Davis regularly and Coach McElwain when I’m able to. I see that Coach Davis is a very good coach and I know he’s a down-to-earth kind of guy. I don’t think he’ll ever try to sell a pitch that he doesn’t believe is true.”

Petit-Frere is in the early stages of his recruitment despite holding more than 20 offers, but Alabama, Florida and Notre Dame are considered the top contenders for his commitment. However, he wants to visit more schools and won’t be narrowing his list any time soon.

Petit-Frere said he will “most likely” make his decision after his senior season.

“Right now if I’m focused on football, which I will be during the summer and fall, then that comes first,” he said. “I understand that college is a very important decision for me, but I’m here to get a good education and play for the Berkeley Buccaneers. What I’ve been told is to make sure I enjoy the process. It’s not like I can do this three or four times. It’s a one-time opportunity.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.