Recruiting Red flag recruits (according to coaches)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Good read on red flags that coaches have about certain recruits. Remember the mom who had the questionnaire?

http://footballscoop.com/news/12-recruiting-red-flags-according-college-coaches-across-country/

12 recruiting red flags, according to college coaches across the country

1 – Prospects who have middle-men / trainers / handlers that want to be involved in the decisions of the recruiting process with the kid
Coaches at every level of football shared this concern, and it’s clearly becoming a bigger and bigger trend. Having to deal with a middle-man of some form doesn’t allow the coaches to get to know the prospect like they need to, and a lot of times that middle-man is trying to vicariously through the prospect and feeds off the attention and it’s a relationship that will continue through their days on campus and something coaches will have to continue to deal with the next 4-5 years.

2 – Prospects that treat their parents, their family, or women poorly
This is one that I’ve heard a number of times over the past few years. The type of kid that is going to disrespect their parents or family is going to have a really hard time following the rules that the team has in place, and if he can’t respect the people who gave birth to him, what makes you think he’s going to respect the coaches and others on campus?

“I stopped recruiting a kid who was disrespectful to his mom. Can’t respect your family, won’t respect the team.” – FBS coach

3 – Prospects that don’t have their priorities straight
A number of coaches shared how some recruits are more concerned with the brand of their uniform, or how they look and how good the facilities are way more than they are about whether the school carries their major, or their options after graduating. This also stretches to Division III commits who asked coaches to send them a National Letter of Intent on the morning of signing day so that they could put it on their Twitter, SnapChat or Instagram which is becoming increasingly common.

I also think it’s worth noting that some coaches take a peek at what kind of accounts prospects follow on social media, so if they’re following a ton of Instagram models, or accounts like WorldStar, or 30 second fights, and very few football / coach / college accounts, that can be viewed as a red flag as well.

4 – Prospects that don’t love football
Guys that are just lukewarm to the idea of playing college football are going to be shocked by the commitment it takes at the next level. If they don’t love it in high school, then college ball, and juggling film study, and class, and homework, and study table, and everything else that comes along with playing at the next level is not for them. Nowadays there are many prospects that like the attention of recruiting more than they love the game itself and everything that comes with it.

Along with football, the prospect should also love and respect the weight room. Guys who skip off season workouts are cheat reps in the weight room aren’t the type of guys college coaches want to invest time, and scholarships in.

“When you hear people say that the kid doesn’t currently love the weight room, that’s a red flag to me.” – D-III coach

5 – Prospects with overbearing and over-involved parents
Over the last few years, I’ve heard this viewpoint more and more as well. Some coaches will flat out drop a prospect for their parents behavior, and for others it will certainly serve as cause for concern moving forward. Either way, it’s something that is being evaluated in prospect nowadays, and if all is even except the behavior of the parents, there are a lot of programs that will choose to go the path of the least amount of headaches.

“I have a hard time with parents who want to play agents on visits. I’m aware it’s not the kids fault, but you worry about that parent for four years.” – D-III coach

“The one that drives us nuts is is when kids and parents trash their coaches or teammates as to why they may have not been successful, or why they’re looking at a school like us. Because they didn’t get the opportunity they deserved because they got screwed.” D-III coach

6 – Prospects overly concerned with how many other guys are being recruited at their position and how many guys are on the depth chart currently
If a player is worried about this, chances are good he more looking to walk into a situation where he doesn’t have to compete that hard for a starting job and is looking for an easier road than having to battle daily for a job.

“Guys that think this way don’t understand that competition breeds success.” – D-III coach

7 – When coaches can’t get in touch with the high school coach to ask about the kid
This is another one that may be out of the prospect’s control to a certain degree, but for college coaches, the most important stamp of approval comes from the high school coach who has watched the kid develop over the last several seasons. Urban Meyer made waves when he said it last year, “I don’t care what you do at camps. I want to hear your high school coach say ‘Take him.'”

8 – When a prospect doesn’t fit in with players on campus
I remember as a college coach, I encouraged players to visit as many college campuses as possible because being there with players, and faculty, and other students is the only way to get the gut feeling in the pit of their stomach where they can say to themselves, “Yes, I can see myself being here the next 4-5 years.” If a prospect comes to campus and doesn’t get along with your current guys for the short time he’s on campus, that should be a red flag.

“We immediately talk to our host players and ask how the players fit in and will they buy into our culture and are they a good fit.” – D-II coach

9 – When the prospect is unprepared
A number of college coaches told me that when a player is struggling to follow simple directions that have been laid out to fill out an application online, or to register for the ACT, SAT, or the NCAA Clearinghouse, that’s a sign of things to come.

“The recruiting process is so competitive, and so many good players are out there that the players, parents, coaches, and school administration need to be prepared.” – D-II coach

“A kid that drags his feet on setting a visit date, and he lives just an hour away.” – D-III coach

“We drop kids that don’t follow through with paperwork quickly. Kid’s that can’t ‘figure it out.'” – D-III coach

10 – Kids that want to talk scholarship right off the bat
This is another one I heard from coaches at every level, from Division III all the way up to Power Five. If they’re wondering in the first conversation, or early on in the process what coaches are coming to the table with money wise, chances are pretty good they’re not in it for the love of the game, and they clearly don’t understand, or care about, the recruiting process and how evaluations work.

“If he doesn’t have an offer from you and when you hit him up to get to know him and talk he asks in the first 5 minutes if you want to offer him.” – FBS coach

11 – How they act, and treat others on their recruiting visit to campus
How prospects interact with players and coaches is important, but a few coaches shared that how they interact with faculty, staff, secretaries, tour guides, and the lunch ladies was just as important to them.

“Had a kid we were interested in. He came in on a visit, made a mess in the cafeteria, didn’t bus his plates or tray, and that was the last straw for us.” – D-III coach

12 – Indecisive prospects
Prospects that send mixed signals can lead to red flags for coaches in a variety of ways.

“A kid that is ‘interested’ but won’t drive to see your campus or facilities, but he’s visited five other schools in your conference that are equally as far for him.” – FBS coach

“Have a kid that can’t settle on a date to visit. Lives an hour away. Told him our dates…kept telling me he’d visit on dates we weren’t doing visits.” D-III coach

High school coaches, and parents should be sure to share this with their players, because it’s all coming straight from the mouths of college coaches.

In order to play college football, and be successful at the next level, prospects have to understand that they are constantly being evaluated because college coaches are considering investing their time away from family on them, and some programs are considering offering scholarship money on top of that as well. They want to invest their time, money, and effort on kids that deserve that opportunity, not the guys who are going to squander it away.

Coaches also shared the following red flags worth sharing: “Kids that have never had to compete for a starting job,” “prospect who calls you by your first name,” “prospects that comes to campus smelling like marijuana,” “when he only brings his girlfriend on his recruiting visit,” and “a kid that has transferred multiple times.”

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Coaches are not always what they appear to be during recruiting, either, some are maniacs.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Easy to say these are "red flags", but we have recruited, and taken, many kids that have displayed these characteristics. Many others have and do as well.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Seems like it describes Grier to a T.

state-farm-commerical-photo.jpg

:run:

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Easy to say these are "red flags", but we have recruited, and taken, many kids that have displayed these characteristics. Many others have and do as well.

Agree. IMO, you have to take some risks....and mix in a few good seeds. I imagine Judge Culpepper, no matter how good or bad he is as a player, is the kind of recruit that would be well liked by his teammates. Jake Allen is that kind of recruit. We've brought in the Channing Crowder's, Aaron Hernandez (he was a nut as a recruit), and we likely would have signed The Lobster Willie if he committed to us. If there are too many "red flags" I can see good coaching staffs backing off (see Kane Taylor, for example).

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Where's the counterpart to this where we share red flags about coaches?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I think that sums up most blue chips, and yet... they always get offers from all the big ones. These kids might show red flags, but that doesn't mean the coaches don't go after them anyway.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think it should look bad on a player asking and checking on who else the college is recruiting for his position. Just look at what happens to some of the Bama recruits after signing. It doesn't mean the kid isn't going to put the work in.

OllieGator

Founding Member
Member....huh, huh, huh
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
3 – Prospects that don’t have their priorities straight
A number of coaches shared how some recruits are more concerned with the brand of their uniform, or how they look and how good the facilities are way more than they are about whether the school carries their major, or their options after graduating.

Uhh, sounds like that would apply to every recruit thus the Disney World expansions to entice the kids to the school.

Oh and Oregon.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nice read but none of this applies to high 4stars and positively to 5stars.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I think that sums up most blue chips, and yet... they always get offers from all the big ones. These kids might show red flags, but that doesn't mean the coaches don't go after them anyway.
That's because everyone knows it takes special talent to make special teams.....well other than a few on this board and Butters staff seem to know that....
It appears to me to be like that of managing your stock portfolio...You have to take some stuff with a higher risk if you want the highest/fastest returns. Sure you can get burned if you're not paying attention(like letting players buy their own supplements) but in the end that's what you're getting paid millions for...to manage the risk.
There has never been a dominant winning program that didn't have some questionable players....OU in the 70's and 80's, Miamuh in the 80's and 90's, USC and UF in the 2000's , Bama and FSU presently...Hell even supposed "nice guy" CFB coaches like Tom Osbourne and Sweatervest were found to be housing some real scumbags on their rosters....It's just the way the game is played and always has been.

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
The chance of landing a recruit that could be a game changer will often trump
the risks involved in taking on a kid that could turn out to be a real cancer to the program.
I suspect the "Poster Boy" of red flags has to be Willie Williams, a 5 star recruit out of the
Miami area who's escapades on various recruiting trips were so outrageous that the NCAA
stepped in and changed the rules of what can and can't transpire during the recruiting process.
Willie, billed as the next Lawrence Taylor, bounced around several schools before finally washing
out of football altogether. Brushes with the law followed his tanked career.

00F0F_9AlXm2jhoNF_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.