Remember the B1G Commish after the 2006 NC Game

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
That Ohio State team we beat had a linebacker that wanted to come to UF but was academically ineligible for us so he had to join them. Oops!

I really enjoyed throwing that in the trolls' faces.

If you guys remember, tOSU trolls were the worst ever before that game. Coming on Gator sites talking ungodly amounts of smack...how many times were they going to tell us about their DE's body fat percentage or how they had SEC speed because of their win over Miami or how this was the greatest college football team ever, it was BRUTAL. New trolls coming out of the woodwork every day talking about how the "real" mnc was when they beat Michigan, Tressel was Lombardi, Troy Smith was the GOAT. Insufferable.

Even in Glendale, their fans were so freakin' arrogant. They didn't come for a game. They came for a coronation.

They would buy us drinks because they felt sorry for us, for the Nebraska-esque ass whipping we were about to take. "Hey, you got a nice little team, too bad you caught us this year, shame you came all the way out here to see them get blown out, hey lemme buy you a drink, you're gonna need it."

I remember saying to them "Look, you may very well beat us, but this is an ELITE defense. Not a good defense, a GREAT defense. You may beat us. But you aren't going to blow us out."

The most points we gave up all season that year was 28 to Arkansas in the SEC Championship game. They were talking about scoring 40-50 on us AFTER our defense had almost a month to prepare. Hell no.

I really enjoyed beating the hell out of them. They were shell-shocked walking out of that stadium. Incredulous. Like it was a nightmare, not real. Oh, it was real alright.

Dammit. I want us to win again.

Alex.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Larry Grant - #6

YESSSSS!

How the hell did you remember his name?

He was the argument ender when tOSU trolls started yapping about academics and athletes.

Great memory HomerJ!

Alex.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Remember all the shirtless pictures of Vernon Gholston they kept posting? They were obsessed.

Alex.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
First last and only game that Urban actually ran an offense suited for Leak. Very West Coast. Nickle and dime'd them up and down.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Alex, you instantly conjured up the thought of Leak "a surgeon with a scalpel" ... but no!...
... "an ME dissecting a cadaver" ... where the brain was missing. You could see shots of
the OSU fans in shocked startlement "Who are these guys?" but I couldn't fathom "were
they thinking of our players or theirs?" Ha,ha,ha.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
When he said that the B1G 10 had academics on their side. Funny that junior college offensive tackle Malcolm Pridgeon will not have the academic requirements to transfer to an SEC school. He’ll choose between Baylor and Ohio State.

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/fearless-predictions-for-florida-on-signing-day
Yeah, he sounded like we do now, accusing others of paying (or paying more) their players, taking dumb or thug players, or cheating with respect to class sizes, grayshirts, transfers, pulling schollies etc.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Even in Glendale, their fans were so freakin' arrogant. They didn't come for a game. They came for a coronation.
That damned snoopy song playing everywhere. All those *******s talking about how it should be Meatchicken.

They were nearly, just NEARLY, as quiet after the game as they were arrogant and boisterous before the game.

Fvkk them and everything about them.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
That Ohio State team we beat had a linebacker that wanted to come to UF but was academically ineligible for us so he had to join them. Oops!
I really enjoyed throwing that in the trolls' faces.

If you guys remember, tOSU trolls were the worst ever before that game. Coming on Gator sites talking ungodly amounts of smack...how many times were they going to tell us about their DE's body fat percentage or how they had SEC speed because of their win over Miami or how this was the greatest college football team ever, it was BRUTAL. New trolls coming out of the woodwork every day talking about how the "real" mnc was when they beat Michigan, Tressel was Lombardi, Troy Smith was the GOAT. Insufferable.

They would buy us drinks because they felt sorry for us, for the Nebraska-esque ass whipping we were about to take. "Hey, you got a nice little team, too bad you caught us this year, shame you came all the way out here to see them get blown out, hey lemme buy you a drink, you're gonna need it."

I remember saying to them "Look, you may very well beat us, but this is an ELITE defense. Not a good defense, a GREAT defense. You may beat us. But you aren't going to blow us out."

The most points we gave up all season that year was 28 to Arkansas in the SEC Championship game. They were talking about scoring 40-50 on us AFTER our defense had almost a month to prepare. Hell no.

I really enjoyed beating the hell out of them. They were shell-shocked walking out of that stadium. Incredulous. Like it was a nightmare, not real. Oh, it was real alright.

Dammit. I want us to win again.

Alex.

Trust you me, they weren't like that just out there. Sitting in a local bar, over half of it Suckeye fans, having aneurysms over Ginn Jrs opening kickoff return, yeah they shut up pretty quickly. that was so sweet.

Can we do that again, please?

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Saw that today on the ride home... Beat me to it.

And living in ohio in '06, I remember all the smack leading up to the game. And the excuses afterwards - too long of a layoff, ginn would've won the game by himself, yada yada, whine, scream, cry like spoiled brats...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There will never be a more satisfying win for this program as long as I live.
Sorry but beating the clowns for a national title is the ultimate. As a matter of fact, whenever a clown talks smack I know I can always fall back on telling them they will draw their last dying breath without ever knowing the satisfaction of that game.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
There will never be a more satisfying win for this program as long as I live.

#2 on my list FWIW, behind this one......
YPJgo7O.gif

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-2_21-32-39.jpeg
    upload_2016-2-2_21-32-39.jpeg
    7 KB · Views: 97

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I work with guys from Ohio St. talking to them you would think the game came down to us making a 60 yard field goal as time expired for a 1 point win. They all hate the Gators with a passion and every time I bring up the a** beating they just go on and on about how close it was or immediately change the subject to stealing our coach. Heaven forbid you ever fill them in on the things Urban did here. The guy walks on water in their eyes and could have not ever done anything wrong and it's just us crying over it. Last year they acted like they beat Bama by 50 points. I almost hate that fan base more than FSU.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Back in 2006 I was posting at the GSMB and on Swamp Gas. Same in both places. Bucknuts descended like a swarm of locusts. Imagine having 3 Alvins posting about Tennessee before the Tennessee game. That's what it was like. Only it was week after week after week. One would disappear and two more would show up. It was a constant barrage.

And the level of delusion...they talked about history and tradition like they were Notre Dame and we were UCF. You'd think they had half a dozen MNCs and another half dozen Heisman winners.

They assumed we didn't know a damn thing about football. That all we knew was surfing, and maybe a little about tractor pulls. That we were all a bunch of bandwagon fans. Of course they had all seen "film" and wanted to explain to us rubes how we couldn't stop their offense because if we tried to stop the pass they would run, and if we tried to stop the run they would pass, and they had a quarterback who could run and pass so there was no way we could stop them. Anybody who knew anything about football could see that, but again, we just didn't understand football.

They even talked band smack. True story. Muncie was NOT the only opposing fan to run band smack. Bucknuts were saying that those of us going to the game (which was just silly anyway) were in for a treat. The game was going to be a slaughter, but we would be able to watch the magnificence of their band performing the GREATEST TRADITION IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL and that would make our trip to Glendale worth it. That was a level of arrogance I couldn't wrap my brain around. They wanted to talk about Sloopy and the tuba player almost as much as they wanted to talk about blowing us out, just like they blew out Miami (yes, in their minds, that game decided by a late PI call in the endzone was utterly DOMINATED by tOSU).

We actually liked tOSU before that. 1996 we didn't have the BCS yet. We had the Bowl Coalition and the Pac 10 and Big 10 weren't included. We needed Ohio State to beat an undefeated Arizona State team in the Rose Bowl to make our re-match with FSU a true MNC game. They did it. We appreciated it. Until we actually got to know their fans.

And it wasn't just us. There were still a bunch of Boise State fans still in town following their upset of Oklahoma (the Statue of Liberty play game). They were complaining about how insufferably arrogant the bucknuts were.

Honestly, I've never seen anything like it before or since.

Apparently our coaching staff had a sense of what our defense might be able to accomplish against that offense. Greg Mattison was co-Defensive coordinator in 2006. His son Bryan was a DE at Iowa and played against that vaunted tOSU offensive line. He told his dad that our DL was going to be able to run right around them. Kid was right.

Alex.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Back in 2006 I was posting at the GSMB and on Swamp Gas. Same in both places. Bucknuts descended like a swarm of locusts. Imagine having 3 Alvins posting about Tennessee before the Tennessee game. That's what it was like. Only it was week after week after week. One would disappear and two more would show up. It was a constant barrage.

And the level of delusion...they talked about history and tradition like they were Notre Dame and we were UCF. You'd think they had half a dozen MNCs and another half dozen Heisman winners.

They assumed we didn't know a damn thing about football. That all we knew was surfing, and maybe a little about tractor pulls. That we were all a bunch of bandwagon fans. Of course they had all seen "film" and wanted to explain to us rubes how we couldn't stop their offense because if we tried to stop the pass they would run, and if we tried to stop the run they would pass, and they had a quarterback who could run and pass so there was no way we could stop them. Anybody who knew anything about football could see that, but again, we just didn't understand football.

They even talked band smack. True story. Muncie was NOT the only opposing fan to run band smack. Bucknuts were saying that those of us going to the game (which was just silly anyway) were in for a treat. The game was going to be a slaughter, but we would be able to watch the magnificence of their band performing the GREATEST TRADITION IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL and that would make our trip to Glendale worth it. That was a level of arrogance I couldn't wrap my brain around. They wanted to talk about Sloopy and the tuba player almost as much as they wanted to talk about blowing us out, just like they blew out Miami (yes, in their minds, that game decided by a late PI call in the endzone was utterly DOMINATED by tOSU).

We actually liked tOSU before that. 1996 we didn't have the BCS yet. We had the Bowl Coalition and the Pac 10 and Big 10 weren't included. We needed Ohio State to beat an undefeated Arizona State team in the Rose Bowl to make our re-match with FSU a true MNC game. They did it. We appreciated it. Until we actually got to know their fans.

And it wasn't just us. There were still a bunch of Boise State fans still in town following their upset of Oklahoma (the Statue of Liberty play game). They were complaining about how insufferably arrogant the bucknuts were.

Honestly, I've never seen anything like it before or since.

Apparently our coaching staff had a sense of what our defense might be able to accomplish against that offense. Greg Mattison was co-Defensive coordinator in 2006. His son Bryan was a DE at Iowa and played against that vaunted tOSU offensive line. He told his dad that our DL was going to be able to run right around them. Kid was right.

Alex.

I think Leak hit on his first 9 passes of the night that game. He truly saved his best for the last one. There are just so many memorable moments from that game.
A helmet shed Earl Everett chasing after Troy Smith to eventually make a play, Harvey scooping up the ball just before halftime after a Moss sack/fumble on their
heismen golden boy, Tressel going for it on fourth down in the 1st half on his side of the field only to see Beanie Wells get stuffed behind the line, Tebow barreling in the end zone to put the nail in the coffin, and Baker and Meyer getting a gatorade bath. While you're correct that their fans were about as obnoxious as it get's in the pre-game.I recall a seeing a sign that read ''Hey Reggie, No Mama? Troy is your daddy!'' They were just bad people, and beating senseless was extremely gratifying. Even Eddie George was saying how you could roll florida out there for the first half and USC out there for the second half and they were still going to kill whoever they played. Troy Smith took his beating like a man, and was very gracious towards Leak when the game was over, and the confetti starting hitting the ground. Without question the most gratifying win i've seen our gators have. The 08 cocktail party is probably second for me at least.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
YESSSSS!

How the hell did you remember his name?

He was the argument ender when tOSU trolls started yapping about academics and athletes.

Great memory HomerJ!

Alex.

I have a Jeopardy mind - full of useless information.

He committed the 15 yard penalty on a punt return, against Jamelle Cornelius in the first qtr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.