Reorganization of FBS for playoff system

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
The plan that I have proposed is basically an expansion of the playoffs. First of all, only the top half of the teams are involved. Second, they play among themselves to determine a division champion. Then those two division champions play each other to determine the conference champion. That is essentially the first round of the playoffs. Single elimination. Then the conference champions play in the actual championship tournament of four teams. So basically the 8 teams that win their conference divisions are in the "playoff". That is how it should be, I think. That is how you determine who is "best". If two great teams are in the same conference, they play to determine who moves on to the next level.

My "plan" is basically a 26 team plan then. The 10 conference champs will have won a championship game. So the divisional champs are indirectly in the playoff as you say. Notice in my example I picked two teams in the same division. That is where the pressure will come.

Remember when UAL lobbied their way into the BCS game against LSU over Oklahoma State despite losing to LSU AT HOME and failing to make the SEC championship game? That is when the pressure for at large bids becomes irressistable. The year Texas, Oklahoma and Texas Tech all had a 3 way tie in the Big 12. That situation too would create pressure for at large bids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.