REPORT: Mike Shanahan wants to coach Florida or Michigan

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
gardnerwebbalumnigator;n101018 said:
Anything is an upgrade, but we don't need to revisit the Pell Cheating Years.

Sorry, I have to defend Pell, here. "Rubbin is racin, Son." What Pell was doing was what the competition was also doing at that time. The NCAA unfortunately decided to make him the example. Giving recruits hats and t-shirts, allowing walk-ons to sleep in the athletic dorms and having assistants climb trees to spy on the opposition's practice is mild in comparison to what still goes on today.
Charley Pell, literally built our program and the booster organization. No Gator fan should associate cheating with Pell but instead all the good he brought to the program including our first SEC Championship and four d@mn exciting years of football way better than we've seen in the last four years.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Munk;n100617 said:
Yes. Foley has already interviewed coaches.. Lots of them. Billy D, Zook, Muschamp, Meyer, to name a few. Vague statements are vague.

:lmao:

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014
threatmatrix;n101212 said:
Sorry, I have to defend Pell, here. "Rubbin is racin, Son." What Pell was doing was what the competition was also doing at that time. The NCAA unfortunately decided to make him the example. Giving recruits hats and t-shirts, allowing walk-ons to sleep in the athletic dorms and having assistants climb trees to spy on the opposition's practice is mild in comparison to what still goes on today.
Charley Pell, literally built our program and the booster organization. No Gator fan should associate cheating with Pell but instead all the good he brought to the program including our first SEC Championship and four d@mn exciting years of football way better than we've seen in the last four years.

Very, very true. Pell put the Gators on the map after years of irrelevance. The recruiting violations during that time were rampant. See SMU and Oklahoma.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
SaltGator;n101202 said:
Either one would be a major upgrade over Chimp. Saban and Kelly are not coming, who would you want?

There are a few names out there, but I don't think any successful coach isn't without a combination of weaknesses and slumps. Other than Kelley, they best candidate I see is Patterson at TCU.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n101273 said:
I doubt the crypt keeper would do much on the recruiting trail.

Couldn't do any worse than our current ranking in recruiting and would at least know how to use what he has. The guy is a SB winning coach and you would rather have the lame duck we have now. :facepalm:

spook

Founding Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Pair him with a great DC, like maybe greg matteson.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Shanahan = very, very bad idea. He is so far removed from the college game we may as well say he has no applicable college coaching experience. His track record in the NFL - absent riding Elway and Davis twice - is marginal, as evidenced by his disastrous stint in DC. Can anyone even remotely imagine him prostrating himself in front of arrogant high schoolers?

Jesus God, no. We can do far better than this.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Bullag8r;n101270 said:
There are a few names out there, but I don't think any successful coach isn't without a combination of weaknesses and slumps. Other than Kelley, they best candidate I see is Patterson at TCU.

He would be good. Add Briles to the list as well.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
And one other thing: if we continue on this current trajectory, and especially if T.H. and the offense continue to improve, CWM ain't going anywhere. We best start wrapping our brains around this very strong possibility.

Someone above mentioned "turning a corner under CWM". Shedding JD may looks to have been the magic elixir this entire program needed. Maybe something of a corner actually has been turned....

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
SaltGator;n101286 said:
He would be good. Add Briles to the list as well.

I like Briles a lot, but he is a Texan that I don't believe is leaving Texas.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
Yeah, we want a real homerun coach, not some chump that's won a couple of Super Bowls... :thumbup:

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
OcalaGator83;n101309 said:
Yeah, we want a real homerun coach, not some chump that's won a couple of Super Bowls... :thumbup:

His Super Bowl rings will be about as effective as Jabba the Weis's were in a recruit's home. Recruits were just being born when he won his Super Bowls. Shanahan who?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n101316 said:
His Super Bowl rings will be about as effective as Jabba the Weis's were in a recruit's home. Recruits were just being born when he won his Super Bowls. Shanahan who?
Yes, I'm sure those rings and his coaching of two HOF QB's won't impress anyone. :rolleyes:

He was also the OC of one of the greatest teams of all time, the 1994 49ers, the only team good enough to beat Dallas during their dynasty.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbreath;n101284 said:
Shanahan = very, very bad idea. He is so far removed from the college game we may as well say he has no applicable college coaching experience. His track record in the NFL - absent riding Elway and Davis twice - is marginal, as evidenced by his disastrous stint in DC. Can anyone even remotely imagine him prostrating himself in front of arrogant high schoolers?

Jesus God, no. We can do far better than this.

SOS is older and did worse in DC than Shanahan. Your argument is beyond stupid.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I want a new coach as much as the next guy but shanahan? I'd rather have Jimmy Johnson if we're going to go the washed up former nfl coaching route.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n101324 said:
Yes, I'm sure those rings and his coaching of two HOF QB's won't impress anyone. :rolleyes:

He was also the OC of one of the greatest teams of all time, the 1994 49ers, the only team good enough to beat Dallas during their dynasty.

He still has a bad case of Muskrat Love

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Bullag8r;n101293 said:
I like Briles a lot, but he is a Texan that I don't believe is leaving Texas.

Briles will be a gator next year!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator