Response to Pittman Injury

G

gatorspective

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good evening, GatorChatter; long-time lurker, first-time poster. Apologies if this is MOM, but did anyone at the game notice the vast difference in the response of the two teams to Pittman's injury? While motionless on the ground, a number of LSU players walked out on the field and knelt within a few yards of Pittman the entire time he was down. Meanwhile, on the Gator sideline, Muschamp has his defense in a huddle preparing for the ensuing defensive series. Not until many minutes later did Muschamp jog over for a brief check on Pittman and it was even longer until any players went over. How is that for "team"? And what kind of leadership does that show from Muschamp? Obviously so worried about his job that a potentially seriously injured player barely registers. Actions from both sidelines reflected the respective leadership. Unfortunately for us, more of the same.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't notice it. Maaaayyyyyybeeee Muschamp got word from the trainers that Pitman was fine.?.?. Just taking precautionary measures.?.?.?.

I sure as hell am not a Muschamp defender. Just hoping here for the best possible explanation. Otherwise, he's not only sucking as a coach, he's a pricckk too.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I guess I wasn't so much thinking, "why isn't Muschamp out there," but more thinking "why do the LSU players look more concerned than our guys do?" It was almost like it didn't even occur to our team to run over there and wish him well until they saw the LSU players do it.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Noticed that ... and we only went out there after LSU made us look like jackasses.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
gatorspective;n78024 said:
Good evening, GatorChatter; long-time lurker, first-time poster. Apologies if this is MOM, but did anyone at the game notice the vast difference in the response of the two teams to Pittman's injury? While motionless on the ground, a number of LSU players walked out on the field and knelt within a few yards of Pittman the entire time he was down. Meanwhile, on the Gator sideline, Muschamp has his defense in a huddle preparing for the ensuing defensive series. Not until many minutes later did Muschamp jog over for a brief check on Pittman and it was even longer until any players went over. How is that for "team"? And what kind of leadership does that show from Muschamp? Obviously so worried about his job that a potentially seriously injured player barely registers. Actions from both sidelines reflected the respective leadership. Unfortunately for us, more of the same.

Yep. Saw that as well. Priorities were in place.

Munk

Quitter
Aug 3, 2014
I noticed the same thing. LSU players giving him fist-bumps right before being carted off, not a gator in sight. Found it odd at the time, but was impressed with LSU's sportsmanship.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We saw that sitting from our seats. That's one of the classiest moves I saw by the LSU players. I have to say I was impressed with that. Gotta hand it to LM and his team for that. True sportsmanship.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
To be fair, it appeared to me that it was the LSU offense which had taken the field after the pick. Their huddle was much closer to the incident.

GIGator

Founding Member
No One Important!
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I kinda thought the same thing, at first, until I watched the re-play. The coaches were keeping our players back. When they allowed them to go out, Dillman pushed them away. The first priority is to get the player in a stable position and off to the hospital. I would like to think that was all the staff cared about. As far as Muschamp, he had to get the defense ready, because the game was going to continue.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Muschamp may not be a great coach, but I have always felt as though he cares about the players. There are so many variables in that and nobody knows what you are allowed to do and what you aren't allowed to do. The players don't know when and if you are allowed to go up and give the guy fist bumps... I bet the coaches don't even know... so once a couple LSU players were able to do it.. all the UF players wanted to do it...

I don't think there is any statement on team here and I think it's kind of crappy to try to use an injury like that to put down our coach and team

G

gatorspective

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hear you ATX and think la Paz has it right - more about LSU's display of sportsmanship than a ding on us. At the time, the disparity was pretty apparent, whatever the reasons.

LadyGator74

Sep 21, 2014
This is an article published today on "Saturday Down South"

Florida wide receiver Latroy Pittman was seriously injured Saturday night against LSU. Pittman took a shot to the back of the head, and he was motionless for several minutes on the field and was eventually carted off the field.

Thankfully, Pittman is okay, and he was released from the hospital.

But one Florida fan Kyle Morgan was really impressed with the way Les Miles and LSU reacted to the injury, and he took to Facebook to let his thoughts be known, via NOLA.com:

“So tonight one of our players was gravely injured in the last minute of the game. I hope Latroy Pittman turns out to be fine or recovers speedily.

“But now I have to stop and thank Les Miles and the LSU Tigers. As some are aware, LSU tends to be seen as rougher around the edges than is normal in the SEC. However, their class in the last minute of the game proved exactly why they deserved to win. Upon Latroy’s injury, they removed their helmets and knelt in respect for a fallen player. They clapped when their own injured player got up but remained on their knees with helmets off since ours was still being strapped onto the board to be carted off.

“On our sideline, exactly six of our more than 70 players knelt. Undoubtedly these learned their decency not from Will Muschamp but from their old high school head coaches, since Muschamp took the opportunity to huddle his defense and in typical fashion, yell at them.

“Almost 7 minutes passed before it occurred to him that he may need to go check on the boy the Pittman family entrusted to his care. Of course, Will couldn’t be bothered to talk to Latroy. No, he simply walked up, poked a trainer on the shoulder, asked her a question and jogged away.

“LSU continued exhibiting the kind of well-led honor that any decent coach would instill in his players by approaching Latroy once he was on the cart and expressing their sympathies. Indeed after two dozen LSU players had done so a few Gators broke ranks and showed they could learn from a good example by doing the same.

“So I would like to thank Les Miles for improving the lives of roughly a dozen Gators more in five minutes than Will Muschamp had done in YEARS.

“We lost again. We turned the ball over a lot and stuck with a QB who lacks improvement again. We got tired made bad mistakes on defense late again, and relied on desperation plays to keep it close again.

“But more importantly we responded to our fellow man going down by ignoring him and using his injury as a long timeout to yell at defenders who just watched a friend, roommate, teammate get hurt.

“Fire Will Muschamp, Jeremy Foley. If not for being a bad head coach who can’t win enough games, then do it for the better reason. Fire him for failing to be a leader of men. Fire him because he lacks the respect for an injured player that over 80,000 other people possessed in that stadium. Fire him because he’s a bad human being.

“Thank you again Les Miles and the LSU Tigers. I hope one day we might again contribute to the class of the SEC. You helped our young men learn about class tonight. Your fans should be proud of you. I’m proud to have seen you and your 70+ men. Good game and goodnight.”

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
When has Muschamp ever handled anything correctly? he literally can't get out of his own way. The definition of being in over your head. Oddly enough, Zook's confrontation with some rogue students in support of his players was deemed "in poor taste", yet this guy confronts fans, belittles fans' concerns in the media, and handles virtually every situation the wrong way, and is still employed.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n78435 said:
When has Muschamp ever handled anything correctly? he literally can't get out of his own way. The definition of being in over your head. Oddly enough, Zook's confrontation with some rogue students in support of his players was deemed "in poor taste", yet this guy confronts fans, belittles fans' concerns in the media, and handles virtually every situation the wrong way, and is still employed.

When Muschamp deals with the media or the fanbase he can't get out of his own way. Of his sins, that be the most damning.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I seem to recall a comment by someone watching the game where I was about our players not showing much support, and even our so called field leader finally went out there, then stopped about 10 feet away from Pittman, never said anything to him, then went back to the bench (where he belongs)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator