Rest in Peace G.O.A.T. Don Shula

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
In ranking the all-time great NFL coaches, Shula is ranked somewhere between 22 and 30.

After the lucky undefeated season, Shula never won anything again. In fact, it takes a special kind of coach to never win a damn thing with Dan Marino.

Bill Belicheck would have won at least 5 Super Bowls with Marino.

Actually the year after the undefeated season the Dolphins won another Super Bowl.

The front office ruined what might have become the greatest dynasty ever after that season. Yet they made it back to the conference championship. He then took a team with someone named David Woodley to a Super Bowl. After that he adapted his entire philosophy in order to play to Marino’s strengths but the front office could never bring in a credible running game.
I don’t know that Shula was the best ever but he was damn good. Had just 2 losing seasons in 33 years.
Dolphins front office has been a disaster for decades.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
Actually the year after the undefeated season the Dolphins won another Super Bowl.

The front office ruined what might have become the greatest dynasty ever after that season. Yet they made it back to the conference championship. He then took a team with someone named David Woodley to a Super Bowl. After that he adapted his entire philosophy in order to play to Marino’s strengths but the front office could never bring in a credible running game.
I don’t know that Shula was the best ever but he was damn good. Had just 2 losing seasons in 33 years.
I heard Joe Robbie was a major cheapskate who for years refused to surround Marino with talent. Watching that defense well after Bill Arnsparger left was extremely painful.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I heard Joe Robbie was a major cheapskate who for years refused to surround Marino with talent. Watching that defense well after Bill Arnsparger left was extremely painful.

It started with letting Csonka, Warfield and Kiick our the door to the WFL....followed by years of mismanagement in the front office.

Jun 2, 2015
Some of you old-timers may remember the pass, punt & kick contest sponsored by Ford Motor Co back in the 70's. My then 7 year-old son won for his school, then for Daytona Beach, then for the State of FL, then for the SE of the US and was on national TV @ a Dolphins game in Miami representing the Dolphins. He got to meet and shake hands with Coach Shula and also meet Csonka, Jim Kiick, Paul Warfield,Mercury Morris & Larry Little. We later became friends with Little & his Wife, Rosie, when he coached @ Bethune Cookman here in Daytona.

He won in Miami and they flew us to Pittsburg for a Dolphins/Pitt (playoff) game. It was cold and drizzling rain and he lost when he shanked the ball....hey, we are native Floridians & didn't realize some of the northern kids wrapped cellophane around their feet. The next morning we were the only ones in the hotel breakfast area and in walks Terry Bradshaw who came over & joined us for breakfast. What a nice, jovial and friendly guy. When my husband shook hands with him he stated Bradshaw had the biggest hands he had ever seen. Of course we have lots of pics, signed football by the Dolphins, banners, other memorabilia & wonderful memories. My son became somewhat of a celebrity as he was on national TV a couple of times and to top off this great year, he was chosen to lead our annual Christmas parade.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

There it is, the typical “blame it on upper management”

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not to cast aspersions, and I rarely speak ill of the dead, but I always thought it creepy that Shula wanted to become a Catholic Priest, even while coaching football. That immediately sent up some red flags about the guy, especially since he's from that Eastern Ohio/Western PA "Land O' Pedos" area. The fact that he was apparently hanging out with seven-year-old boys at the Punt Pass & Kick competition, leaves me deeply concerned. Again, I agree with the sentiments here, great coach, even better person, but he was apparently "grooming" these kids.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
There it is, the typical “blame it on upper management”

You are of the opinion this was a well managed front office. I can honestly say I’ve never heard that before and I live here.

You might be right. Interesting take.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Not to cast aspersions, and I rarely speak ill of the dead, but I always thought it creepy that Shula wanted to become a Catholic Priest, even while coaching football. That immediately sent up some red flags about the guy, especially since he's from that Eastern Ohio/Western PA "Land O' Pedos" area. The fact that he was apparently hanging out with seven-year-old boys at the Punt Pass & Kick competition, leaves me deeply concerned. Again, I agree with the sentiments here, great coach, even better person, but he was apparently "grooming" these kids.

You found it odd that an event held at their stadium had Shula (and apparently Csonka, Warfield, Kiick and Little) shaking the kids hand? Was it a ring?

I’ll throw a little more fuel on the fire. I appeared in a TV commercial for the United Way filmed on Florida Field with a group of youth football players. NFL guest speaker? Yep Larry Csonka! That 2 events for him with youth football players. Hmmmm.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You found it odd that an event held at their stadium had Shula (and apparently Csonka, Warfield, Kiick and Little) shaking the kids hand? Was it a ring?

I’ll throw a little more fuel on the fire. I appeared in a TV commercial for the United Way filmed on Florida Field with a group of youth football players. NFL guest speaker? Yep Larry Csonka! That 2 events for him with youth football players. Hmmmm.
Csonka was also from Land O' Pedo Western Ohio. I have no doubt he had an "interest" in youth football.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Csonka was also from Land O' Pedo Western Ohio. I have no doubt he had an "interest" in youth football.

You are on to something. Looking at some old Dolphin film I notice Csonka never made any attempt to avoid bodily contact with the other men. He always bulldozed into them.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Whenever I think of Shula, the first thing that comes to mind is his ties to the Sandusky family, most notably John and Gerry Sandusky, and their scam charity for "needy" young males. I have no doubt that perv Sandusky was using his status as an assistant coach of the Dolphins all those years to lure boys into the shower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator