Returning Players

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Yeah, like they grow on trees.

Honestly, Dante Fowler is ideal. Im guessing 265. Moss and Cunningham worked but were lighter. Bullard (about 285-295) also ideal for the other end. Lawrence Marsh too. You'd REALLY like that DE to be able to control 2 gaps, and require a double team. This is huge for keeping the LB or strong safety (if we played one) clean on strongside runs. We just don't recruit like that anymore though and Grantham era was a damn disaster size wise. Gervon could have been that dude but we played him inside instead. He is outside in the pro's of course.

There are the occasional Will Anderson (245 lb) freaks who can defeat an SEC OT (340 pounds) but they are rare indeed. A total freak, once in a decade type.

Everyone follows Saban and he basically build a defense to counter Freeze and Malzahn's twitchy fast sideways stuff, but that just isn't the offense of most of the SEC. Most are still ground and pound except Tinerc and Ole Miss (although Kiffy has been running much more).

Meyer played slightly smaller but we played 3 real linebackers with a 250-260 ass kicking mike backer and a strong safety (sometimes Joiner at 215-220 or so) in the box too to offset. Honestly I'd like to see more of this from us but it isn't in Hammy's skill set.
Making sure I’m hearing you clearly…

DE needs to be in the 300lb range, whether playing 3 or 5 technique depending on down & distance. That’s where Slackman fits.

Edge needs to be in that 265-275 range, maybe a bit bigger if still agile and quick enough. Boone & Collins fit. Kamran James, too. Searcy and Pyburn are undersized, more like 250-255, so need to bulk up.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Making sure I’m hearing you clearly…

DE needs to be in the 300lb range, whether playing 3 or 5 technique depending on down & distance. That’s where Slackman fits.

Edge needs to be in that 265-275 range, maybe a bit bigger if still agile and quick enough. Boone & Collins fit. Kamran James, too. Searcy and Pyburn are undersized, more like 250-255, so need to bulk up.
With the understanding that the terms vary from team to team. What we call an Edge, or Rush, is called Weak DE or Jack or Buck in other systems.

What you are calling "DE" is called Strongside DE, F or A in other systems. This is the 5 tech.

SOME teams do call the 3 tech also a DE though most call that the DT. They do that primarily because DE sounds cooler than DT. They may also do it if the team really does switch from a 4 man front to a 3 man front often. Most teams talk about having that capability but dont do it much (flexing Princely or Cox back into coverage).

I was referring to the 5 tech needing to be 285-300. The 3 tech needs to be at least 300 these days 340 might be more desirable. The 3 tech is often interchangeable with the NT. They must be 2 gap beasts and demand double teams or your LBs are in trouble and will be getting guards climbing cleanly.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I was referring to the 5 tech needing to be 285-300. The 3 tech needs to be at least 300 these days 340 might be more desirable. The 3 tech is often interchangeable with the NT. They must be 2 gap beasts and demand double teams or your LBs are in trouble and will be getting guards climbing cleanly.

:exactly: I know we've been saying shoring up the DLine, more like need to BEEF it up. Those are exactly as you say must be "BEASTS" and get that push. Saw many times this season that our guys got often handled with a single blocker and got absolutely no penetration into the backfield. Sometimes maybe, but more often not getting in there to cause disruption.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
With the understanding that the terms vary from team to team. What we call an Edge, or Rush, is called Weak DE or Jack or Buck in other systems.

What you are calling "DE" is called Strongside DE, F or A in other systems. This is the 5 tech.

SOME teams do call the 3 tech also a DE though most call that the DT. They do that primarily because DE sounds cooler than DT. They may also do it if the team really does switch from a 4 man front to a 3 man front often. Most teams talk about having that capability but dont do it much (flexing Princely or Cox back into coverage).

Thanks & I agree completely.

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
Who is going to STEP UP & be team leaders? I saw very little cohesion on either side of the ball especially after a mistake. Good leadership makes up for many other faults, recover & advance...that is all Go Gators...:jog:

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Who is going to STEP UP & be team leaders? I saw very little cohesion on either side of the ball especially after a mistake. Good leadership makes up for many other faults, recover & advance...that is all Go Gators...:jog:

I can see Mertz stepping up and leading next season. He's proved that he is all in and will sacrifice for this team.

Can also see DJL and Graham being the future leaders respectively. Not sure who takes that role on the defense in the meantime. If it's Graham early so be it. But we need it in the worst way.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I can see Mertz stepping up and leading next season. He's proved that he is all in and will sacrifice for this team.

Can also see DJL and Graham being the future leaders respectively. Not sure who takes that role on the defense in the meantime. If it's Graham early so be it. But we need it in the worst way.

We have such a great history of LBs and safeties, which makes our current inadequacies all the more maddening.

I’d LOVE to see James, Robinson, Graham and the rest of the incoming LBs restore that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.