Rich Rod and Mullen out of coach hunt per ESPN

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n108957]Ox, I know you'll be tempted to merge, but this deserves to stand on its own.[/QUOTE]
Uh, why?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n108967 said:

Admit it, you're just itchin', aren't you?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Seriously, this is not an anonymously sourced piece.

Unlike some other threads around here. :whistle:

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I was happy to see this. Mullen has had one good year at state and was very close to being fired until Dak saved the day, and Rich Rod failed miserably when he got his shot at a major school. I want Petrino (probably not going to happen), Bob Stoops (could happen), or Gary Patterson (could happen).

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n108968]Admit it, you're just itchin', aren't you? [/QUOTE]
Actually, no. I just don't know why this is such big news. I never considered either one a candidate.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n108977 said:
Actually, no. I just don't know why this is such big news. I never considered either one a candidate.

I grant you they weren't front and center, but both have garnered lots of attention, Mullen for obvious reasons and Rich Rod because he recruits the kind of athletes for which the state is famous. It's newsworthy.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
All of this was in the main thread hours ago.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Happy that Rich Rod won't be coming, Mullen, mixed thoughts...

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I'm with Ox. I'm not seeing as to how this is news. Neither one of these guys had a shot.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If this is accurate and Foley has already quickly dismissed Mullen, there must be truth to the talk we've all heard that Mullen didn't exactly come off the right way to Foley during his time here. Otherwise, of course he'd be a strong candidate. Maybe Foley associates him more with the lawlessness of the players during his time at UF and not the championships. Either way, Mullen was one of those candidates for me that was about 5 or 6 names down. I never considered Rich Rod, just doesnt seem like a good fit.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I just banned '78 for the next 30 seconds. I had to send a message.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n108985 said:
All of this was in the main thread hours ago.

Probably was. I'm not about to go traversing through 120 posts to find. This is why I don't always agree with melting-pot editing. Yeah, it eliminates unnecessary threads but it also makes it very difficult to find adjunct stories.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n108996 said:
If this is accurate and Foley has already quickly dismissed Mullen, there must be truth to the talk we've all heard that Mullen didn't exactly come off the right way to Foley during his time here. Otherwise, of course he'd be a strong candidate. Maybe Foley associates him more with the lawlessness of the players during his time at UF and not the championships. Either way, Mullen was one of those candidates for me that was about 5 or 6 names down. I never considered Rich Rod, just doesnt seem like a good fit.

Why do so many think Mullen would be a candidate? He has done NOTHING at Missy State...and he still hasn't won anything yet. He was on the hotseat until this season.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I have also heard from multiple people that have met Mullen that he is egotistical and very hard person to like. 2 of the people that told me that were former players.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n109003 said:
Why do so many think Mullen would be a candidate? He has done NOTHING at Missy State...and he still hasn't won anything yet. He was on the hotseat until this season.

You're so quick to dismiss. What makes you so sure we're going to get someone who's fully decorated? Take a look at all the front-line candidates and tell me everyone who's won SOMETHING. Not many, huh?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n108996 said:

Honestly how strong of a candidate is Mullen, he has one good year out of his 6 at Mississippi State, and before this season there was talk of him being on the hotseat at Mississippi State. This doesn't proove anything other than Mullen isn't a candidate. His record isn't anything that special at Mississippi State and you need a heisman compaign out of his quarterback to be relevant.

45-29 (.605) overall and 21-25 (.457) in the SEC... by comparison Muschamp 27-20 (.574) overall and 17-15 (.531) in the SEC

So he is such a strong candidate he has a worse SEC winning percentage than Wil Muschamp?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I don't pretend to know who we will land. Hell, I have no idea who Foley is even looking at. I'm confident he's not interested in a guy that has the rep of a lousy recruiter and an overall record similar to what he just parted ways with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb