Rich Rod and Mullen out of coach hunt per ESPN

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n109019 said:
Honestly how strong of a candidate is Mullen, he has one good year out of his 6 at Mississippi State, and before this season there was talk of him being on the hotseat at Mississippi State. This doesn't proove anything other than Mullen isn't a candidate. His record isn't anything that special at Mississippi State and you need a heisman compaign out of his quarterback to be relevant.

45-29 (.605) overall and 21-25 (.457) in the SEC... by comparison Muschamp 27-20 (.574) overall and 17-15 (.531) in the SEC

So he is such a strong candidate he has a worse SEC winning percentage than Wil Muschamp?

First of all, I could give a rat's ass if we hire Mullen, but I have to take you task over the way you present the numbers. So Muschamp's SEC record is better. How many SEC West opponents did Muschamp face how many did Mullen face?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n108996 said:
If this is accurate and Foley has already quickly dismissed Mullen, there must be truth to the talk we've all heard that Mullen didn't exactly come off the right way to Foley during his time here. Otherwise, of course he'd be a strong candidate. Maybe Foley associates him more with the lawlessness of the players during his time at UF and not the championships. Either way, Mullen was one of those candidates for me that was about 5 or 6 names down. I never considered Rich Rod, just doesnt seem like a good fit.

5 or 6 down...so after Kelly, Harbaugh and Stoops...who is the 1 or 2 in between?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n109027]

First of all, I could give a rat's ass if we hire Mullen, but I have to take you task over the way you present the numbers. So Muschamp's SEC record is better. How many SEC West opponents did Muschamp face how many did Mullen face? [/QUOTE]

Take me to task? So with 3 winnable SEC games every year for Mississippi State, Arkansas, Kentucky (annual East opponent). It's ok that this is Mullens first time with 5 SEC wins in a season? That's perfectly ok, right? In 2012 he went 4-4 with his 4 SEC wins have a combined 3 SEC wins.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n109084 said:
Take me to task? So with 3 winnable SEC games every year for Mississippi State, Arkansas, Kentucky (annual East opponent). It's ok that this is Mullens first time with 5 SEC wins in a season? That's perfectly ok, right? In 2012 he went 4-4 with his 4 SEC wins have a combined 3 SEC wins.

You're still lacking context. In the current state of the SEC, and in particular as it relates to football in Starkville, Miss., what makes one presume that Mullen should be producing far better results?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n109100]

You're still lacking context. In the current state of the SEC, and in particular as it relates to football in Starkville, Miss., what makes one presume that Mullen should be producing far better results? [/QUOTE]

Agree...MSU was the dregs. It's like winning at Tucky as far as I'm concerned

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n109100]

You're still lacking context. In the current state of the SEC, and in particular as it relates to football in Starkville, Miss., what makes one presume that Mullen should be producing far better results? [/QUOTE]

After six years, where only one team has been consistantly dominate in Alabama. Mississippi State with Mullen being a great coaching candidate should be ok with only 3.2 SEC wins going into this season (5 wins this season). You are comparing a guy that we are talking about leading Florida (Mullen) as a guy who in 6 years in the SEC regardless of division you know what you are up against every year (same statement can be made of any coach in the SEC) who has one winning SEC record in 6 years. I don't expect him to have 6 winning records, but one? He has 3 years of losing records in the SEC. There is no context needed. Even Muschamp for all the bubbling that we have seen over the last 4 years, has a winning season in his first 4.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n109019 said:
Honestly how strong of a candidate is Mullen, he has one good year out of his 6 at Mississippi State, and before this season there was talk of him being on the hotseat at Mississippi State. This doesn't proove anything other than Mullen isn't a candidate. His record isn't anything that special at Mississippi State and you need a heisman compaign out of his quarterback to be relevant.

45-29 (.605) overall and 21-25 (.457) in the SEC... by comparison Muschamp 27-20 (.574) overall and 17-15 (.531) in the SEC

So he is such a strong candidate he has a worse SEC winning percentage than Wil Muschamp?

This. Mullen produced the other offense that was consistently battling Chimp for last place in the SEC.

This bullshiit about Cowbell being a dreg is silly. They won the SEC West since the divisional split. The only reason they are in the bottom of the SEC West is because they made two terrible hires to replace their legend.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This news was almost as good as hearing muschamp was fired

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Now we just need to hear Gundy is out of it.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n109100]

Not saying he should be doing anything. Just saying his results don't warrant consideration for our HC opening.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n109003 said:
Why do so many think Mullen would be a candidate? He has done NOTHING at Missy State...and he still hasn't won anything yet. He was on the hotseat until this season.

Nothing, other than the greatest start in the history of that putrid program.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Even though I think Mullen would be better than what we have now......I just get the feeling something wasn't right with the old staff of Meyer and Foley. You look at it you'd think one of them would be considered. Mullen, Strong, even the Daztard (who I'd be totally against). Something must have went south with Jeremy and that bunch. We'll probably never know.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n109255 said:
Nothing, other than the greatest start in the history of that putrid program.

In year 6, what about the other 5 years?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n109331 said:
In year 6, what about the other 5 years?

Yep. Even WM managed to go 11-2 one year, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.