RIP Gordon

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Hadn't heard yet; thanks for posting. An all-time great songwriter, I have at least a half dozen of his songs on my regular playlist. RIP Mr. Lightfoot.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I was introduced to Gordon's music at a young age. My mom played guitar and had a beautiful voice, and she would sing some of his songs to us as kids. Road trips to Ft. Lauderdale and Kissimmee to see the grandparents growing up included Gord's Gold on cassette in the car. His music was a pretty big influence on the type of songs I wrote as a young adult when I picked up the mantle from my already deceased mom and learned to play guitar and sing.

One of the first songs of his that I learned to play wasn't necessarily because it was a favorite, rather because of the changed lyrics I used to sing for my sister in memory of our mother:

"Minstrel of the Dawn" became "Menstrual of the Mom" and it was every bit as bad as it sounds just from the title. I'll spare you a full rendition, but here are the opening lines:

The menstrual of the mom is here
The children up and disappear
Stick around and you will be
The victim of a menstrual scene

Listen to the objects fly
Across the room
And then the kids they cry

Listen to the screams...

Anyway, you get the idea. It wasn't all jokes at mom's expense, however. My favorite song from Gordon's library is also a song that reminds me of my mom, or rather reminds me of who she was as a person. The song itself focuses on the downtrodden and destitute over the backdrop of Christmas. It reminds me of her giving nature and how she always helped those around her who had less than we did (and we didn't have a lot growing up).

I know this reads as a weird eulogy, but I'll always be thankful for the memories Gordon's music provides whenever I listen. We lost a good one, and I'm grateful he shared his gift with the rest of us. Rest in peace.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Menstrual of the Mom :lol:
I am SO glad it was a parody... I hadn't finished your sappy part above the video and had already decided I was going with the single word reply of... "ghey" that said, glad you brought the post back around to the sappy... Circle of Steel is a great song, and he certainly used trickeration on that song.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
I remember when he was on SNL way back when and Buck Henry cut his guitar strings because they were short on time.

Anyone else remember this?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.