Rivals 250 for 2018

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Our need is to always land basically one player at each position for 22. That is the way established programs run. This shyt of running completely out of OL one year, LBs the next then DTs the next HAS to stop.

Also this year we will need to add a P and K.

We needed to that this class, instead it will be back to throwing a true freshman out there to kick after Pinero leaves resulting in a predictable disaster.

Someone posted a link a few days ago to Judd Davis' son, who is the #1 kicker in the country and a HS junior this year. So apparently he's a "lock" to come to UF.

Agree w/ Law on landing players at each position. There's no excuse to never sign a player at a certain position group - like missing on DTs two years in a row (WTF??). I could see if there were 5 QBs on the roster skipping a year there, because that's really the only position that you play only 1 player per game (barring injuries - not counting K/P's). Other than that, sign 4-5 OLs, a TE, a RB, a QB, 2-3 WR's, 4 DL's, 3 LB's, 3-5 DB's, etc. Pretty simple concept...

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Rivals shows we haven't even offered Asante Samuel the #2 CB in the country #19 overall and #7 in the St of Fl, how does that happen? Such a highly skilled player and don't even have an offer with less than a year before signing day. We are the only school on his long list who have not offered him yet. I'd this why we miss on so many kids because we're always last you the party?
He's like 5'9....that's why! BTW...when is the last time you've seen a 5'9 CB be successful in the SEC???? I'll wait!

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He's like 5'9....that's why! BTW...when is the last time you've seen a 5'9 CB be successful in the SEC???? I'll wait!

Rivals has him as 5'10. Vernon Hargraves, McKenzie Alexander, and Janoris Jenkins we're all 5'11 according to Rivals. So 1 inch taller. And he's still a junior.

Joe Haden was 5'10 just like Samuels.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I checked several sites and can't find one that lists Haden at 5'10" (they all say 5'11"). Now if you're saying Joe Haden was 5'10" at one point, well then, so was I. :lol:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I checked several sites and can't find one that lists Haden at 5'10" (they all say 5'11"). Now if you're saying Joe Haden was 5'10" at one point, well then, so was I. :lol:

Rivals

Attachments

• IMG_0128.PNG
    IMG_0128.PNG
    317.5 KB · Views: 90

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Rivals has him as 5'10. Vernon Hargraves, McKenzie Alexander, and Janoris Jenkins we're all 5'11 according to Rivals. So 1 inch taller. And he's still a junior.

I've seen Samuel in person and he's not anywhere close to 5'10. Hell my ol lady is 5'9 and she was taller than him :lol:

gatorgrad'02

Aug 10, 2015

To your point, our staff prefers to play man-to-man press coverage which requires physical corners. Besides his height, he's also only 160 lbs. Scheme wise, looking at his tape it looks like he's played primarily cover-2 for STA.

With that said he's obviously a very talented and athletic kid, and I would take him regardless.

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
Back in my day HS programs would list lots of guys at 2"-4" taller than they actually were. We won the 5A State Championship with a Mike LB listed at 5'10" or 5'11" who was 5'8" on his best day (but built like a tank and loved to hit).

HS players obviously fudge their height and weight and circulate "aggressive" 40 times. Underclassmen or lower tier guys do it to get on the radar. However, that doesn't get you far these days. The first thing coaches do on a HS stop is give them the eyeball test, and these kids get measured at every camp they go to.

All that said, we've seen tons of workout wonders who never play up to their hype, and there are damn sure a lot of guys who can flat out play, whether they are tall/heavy/fast enough or not. See the vertically challenged WRs who just won the Super Bowl.

This is where coaches who can truly spot talent separate themselves from the pack. I'm not saying whether our staff can or can't, but that's why you can't really judge any recruiting class until they've been around a couple of years.

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
Someone posted a link a few days ago to Judd Davis' son, who is the #1 kicker in the country and a HS junior this year. So apparently he's a "lock" to come to UF.

Agree w/ Law on landing players at each position. There's no excuse to never sign a player at a certain position group - like missing on DTs two years in a row (WTF??). I could see if there were 5 QBs on the roster skipping a year there, because that's really the only position that you play only 1 player per game (barring injuries - not counting K/P's). Other than that, sign 4-5 OLs, a TE, a RB, a QB, 2-3 WR's, 4 DL's, 3 LB's, 3-5 DB's, etc. Pretty simple concept...
So, this is wrong. Taking a guy at each position every year doesn't work, and I doubt any team does it every year (or most years). Maybe it averages out over 2-3 classes, but you wouldn't take one at each spot every year even if you could. Some reasons off the top of my head:

The talent isn't even distributed every year. Some years are great for WRs and some are relatively weak. You want 2-3 WRs in a weak year or take 3-4 in a hot year?

You want to accumulate as much talent as you can, so you take an extra player or 2 if you think they could be great. Make it up at another spot next year. You bring in great ones when you can.

Some positions are simply more important than others, and some positions require more bodies. An O-Lineman can play every snap in a game, and an ideal O-Line would start the same 5 guys all year, right? D-Linemen rotate in and out in every game. If you have 8 DLs who can actually play, you will absolutely have all of them on the field every game. So, why would you take 5 OL and 4 DL every year?

No program gets every player they want or think they'll get every year. Not even Bama. Again, you take the best players you can. If a guy you want decommits or doesn't sign on NSD, you don't automatically grab a guy at the same position even if you aren't crazy about him.

There are other reasons, but this is enough. Bottom line is that classes should fluctuate, and the Board would be apoplectic if a coach was following your suggestion. The "simple concept" of taking a guy at each of the 22 slots every year simply doesn't work and shouldn't be the goal.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
So, this is wrong. Taking a guy at each position every year doesn't work, and I doubt any team does it every year (or most years). Maybe it averages out over 2-3 classes, but you wouldn't take one at each spot every year even if you could. Some reasons off the top of my head:

The talent isn't even distributed every year. Some years are great for WRs and some are relatively weak. You want 2-3 WRs in a weak year or take 3-4 in a hot year?

You want to accumulate as much talent as you can, so you take an extra player or 2 if you think they could be great. Make it up at another spot next year. You bring in great ones when you can.

Some positions are simply more important than others, and some positions require more bodies. An O-Lineman can play every snap in a game, and an ideal O-Line would start the same 5 guys all year, right? D-Linemen rotate in and out in every game. If you have 8 DLs who can actually play, you will absolutely have all of them on the field every game. So, why would you take 5 OL and 4 DL every year?

No program gets every player they want or think they'll get every year. Not even Bama. Again, you take the best players you can. If a guy you want decommits or doesn't sign on NSD, you don't automatically grab a guy at the same position even if you aren't crazy about him.

There are other reasons, but this is enough. Bottom line is that classes should fluctuate, and the Board would be apoplectic if a coach was following your suggestion. The "simple concept" of taking a guy at each of the 22 slots every year simply doesn't work and shouldn't be the goal.

Of course a class is going to "fluctuate". It's an inexact science, you have transfers, dismissals, early departures, etc. In an ideal world you'd lose an OL and sign an OL, you'd lose a RB and sign a RB. I agree w/ your assessment, but the point is that we've had some poor recruiting tactics over the last 4-6 years that there's been big gaps at certain positions. For example, not signing a true HS DT in 15 & 16, it's inexcusable. So, that forced us to load up on DTs this year....and we'll need DE's next year. It's not a perfect world we live in, but a "healthy" program is signing more in the "one at each position" model - but like you said, it fluctuates.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So, this is wrong. Taking a guy at each position every year doesn't work, and I doubt any team does it every year (or most years). Maybe it averages out over 2-3 classes, but you wouldn't take one at each spot every year even if you could.
No one is disagreeing with that. One at each position is a guideline but Saban follows it pretty religiously, 5 OL and 4-5 DL each class bc the injury or didnt develop rate is so high for those guys.

Another class of 2 OL and 0-1 DTs, with a bunch of flyweight DEs and 6 DBs is exactly how we got in the mess.

The target numbers that we see printed by Bowl and others are also off. Way too heavy on WR and DBs. Of all the positions on the field that you could get by with playing a freshman WR and DB are at the top of the list. You could and SHOULD move failed receivers (ie not in the top 5-6) to DB and not waste the damn schollies for 4-5 years.

Think our staff would have considered moving Ermon Lane to DB bc he cant catch? No chance IMO.

I have no clue why we even consider taking these 3 star project CBs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator