Robinson: Stuck in Admissions

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
UF is trying to be the Harvard of the southeast.

Higher admission standards are reasons coaches leave. Gary Andersen left Wisconsin shortly after taking the job because he said the admissions standards were too high.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yes.

Every school has established standards for athletes and they are all lower than those for the general student body. Some schools(like FSU and Alabama) for the most part require a pulse and a 2.0 in moron high school classes. Meanwhile UF, immersed in its self righteousness, actually tries to determine if the kid is capable of graduating before they will admit.

On one hand you can take the high road and say that you are proud that your school is more demanding or you can be more pragmatic and ask yourself why your school puts itself at such a significant disadvantage compared to nearly ALL of our primary competitors.

Personally, I used to take the high road but 8 years of sucking has changed my attitude.

I agree. While I'm usually unsympathetic with these kids who have 4 years to get it together and "choose" not to, these cases are different. If a kid just flat doesn't qualify (like Manuel last year), then so be it, especially when they spend half the recruiting cycle attempting to troll various programs. Again, no sympathy there. But if someone does what they're technically supposed to do, holding things up at the last minute is ridiculous. I fully understand it's about being a "student athlete", but if we're going to compete in athletics, we have to accept that a decent portion of these kids aren't going to be top notch students. Just reality. And I'd venture to say the overall difference between him and the others who squeaked by is negligible at best. Bottom line, if we're even having to monitor these kids' grades post signing day, there's a pretty good chance they're not heading off to build rocket ships and cure diseases. So if they qualify from an NCAA standpoint, any hold up from there is just grandstanding.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Higher admission standards are reasons coaches leave. Gary Andersen left Wisconsin shortly after taking the job because he said the admissions standards were too high.
Anderson left because Alvarez is a twat.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Anderson left because Alvarez is a twat.

Exactly.
Anderson left because he didn't want to work for an AD that believes that he is still the football coach too.
You think the Stricklin/Foley thing is difficult, try this one and see how you like it

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
I don't get blaming UF admissions for having a hard time admitting a kid that had ****astic grades in HS. I think even FSU wouldn't admit him and that's saying something. At the end of the day if he can't make it in he'll go the prep school route, WV, or JUCO. He only has himself to blame and didn't this kid get accused of smoking funny cigarettes on his OSU visit or something to that effect. Then you wonder why admissions is doing their due diligence.
Academic quals are what admissions should be concerned with, heresay about smoking pot is not their concern. And if it is they should go to every hometown of every applicant and "ask around".

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

Perhaps that is correct, but we are an educational institution, not an organization that panders to coaches.

Standards at UF are already weakened to allow athletes in.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
So what would they use to deny him officially if they do? Claim some internet class he took to meet a class requirement is not up to UF standards or something like that? It sounds like he met the NCAA's grades to ACT score requirements. Mac needs to get control of this like he did when they didn't want him to take Robinson initially.

Last edited:

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
You know he met NCAA requirements right?

The comment was in general, and as I understand it UF has some requirements that are different than NCAA ones.

I make no statement about this specific incident, but rather the comment that coaches leave places with strict and difficult academic requirements.

They can leave, I care more about the academic side than one coach who can be replaced.

Sorry for any confusion.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Looks like Robinson is in fellas. ;):chomp:

IMG_4592.GIF

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If true, it was a damn good job getting all these kids in. The class could have been more of a #20-25 class if the 4-5 borderline kids didn't make it to campus. We haven't had the best success in the past with these type kids. Kudos to the staff.

Now hopefully these kids keep their heads on straight and STAY eligible and produce like I know they can.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I hate to be the one to post this:

Robinson NOT in school:

Update on Robinson's Admission
Admissions update on 2017 WR signee

http://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/Update-on-Robinsons-Admission--53366565

As GatorBait.Net reported last week, Lakeland (Fla.) wide receiver James Robinson still awaits clearance from the University of Florida admissions office.

Florida's Summer B drop/add date was Tuesday, June 27th and as of Wednesday Robinson was reportedly still not on campus. Therefore his next time to get on campus seems most likely to be at the end of July when the Gators prepare for fall camp.

The 247Sports, Composite, an industry generated average, ranked Robinson as the No. 14 wide receiver in the 2017 class with a four-star ranking.

HauntedGator

Dec 14, 2016

Robinson NOT in school:

As GatorBait.Net reported last week, Lakeland (Fla.) wide receiver James Robinson still awaits clearance from the University of Florida admissions office.

Florida's Summer B drop/add date was Tuesday, June 27th and as of Wednesday Robinson was reportedly still not on campus. Therefore his next time to get on campus seems most likely to be at the end of July when the Gators prepare for fall camp.

The 247Sports, Composite, an industry generated average, ranked Robinson as the No. 14 wide receiver in the 2017 class with a four-star ranking.

Crap.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016

Robinson NOT in school:

Alright let's make sure he gets in for fall. I think he could get playing time as a freshman

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Robinson NOT in school:

I hate you ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.