Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Roper must of of had one hell of a presser!

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp Queen;n66641 said:
As a female that has posted on GSMB and other male dominated boards for the last 4+ years....it's best to just lighten up and not let avatar images or other images upset you. Guys like boobs, guys like butts...it is what it is. I make objectified comments about guys as well. It's just few and far between b/c there aren't other females to join the cause. But I'm all for half naked pictures of guys like Ryan Gosling if anyone wants to post them!

Not calling anyone out, just stating how it is on a male dominated medium.

Thanks for sharing your view. No one asks guys to stop liking anything. but frankly we would still have men and women and colored bathrooms if everybody neglected to point out that racist attitudes are detrimental, and I am sure people said lighten up, it is what it is. In fact I know it.

I could go on, but will spare you, about an incident in which despite sociology class, I had not realized how centuries degrading can not only destroy an individual's self esteem but the way he saw his entire racial heritage, and I have seen this sort of thing with women, , but the saddest part was seeing the current cultural effects the last couple of decades on elementary school girls as they form their ideals of what it means to be female and fit in.

This is a smart group of guys. There are ingrained cultural traits that will not change ever if no one ever brings effects to light. Avatars themselves are a small thing,, but part of a larger trance. It used to be fine to beat your wife or kids if the stick was under a certain size diameter,( that was law because it was so acceptable that men owned their wives and children and could do whatever to them) and women didn't have a vote, either.

I understand what you are saying about inherent nature of a sports forum though. That does not mean they have to be degrading to women as some forums are. It's a sports forum, not a men only club.. As I already said, pics of beefcakes are not a turn on for me, nor would I put it in a forum if they were because I really try to not reduce a group of people to less than they are. But that is just my personal view. I realize not everyone shares it.

Neither HogtownGator nor I came in and started demanding people change avatars and still aren't. Do you all get that?

She answered a question with factual info and I agreed with her. Obviously some women do choose not to participate for the reasons she stated.

I think I am climbing down off my soapbox now, you can breathe a sigh of relief.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Jenny On The Railroad;n66666 said:
Thanks for sharing your view. No one asks guys to stop liking anything. but frankly we would still have men and women and colored bathrooms if everybody neglected to point out that racist attitudes are detrimental, and I am sure people said lighten up, it is what it is. In fact I know it. This is a smart group of guys. There are ingrained cultural traits that will not change ever if no one ever brings effects to light. Avatars themselves are a small thing,, but part of a larger trance. It used to be fine to beat your wife or kids if the stick was under a certain size diameter, and women didn't have a vote, either. I understand what you are saying about inherent nature of a sports forum though. As I already said, pics of beefcakes are not a turn on for me, nor would I put it in a forum if they were because I really try to not reduce people to less than they are.

Neither HogtownGator nor I came in and started demanding people change avatars and still aren't.

She answered a question with factual info and I agreed with her. Obviously some women do choose not to participate for the reasons she stated.
I'm not sure how "it used to be fine to beat your wives or kids with sticks" fits in here. I don't associate avatars with beating wives and kids. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm just not a feminist nor do I take things like pictures personally. Sorry. I guess I'm different.

I think in the big picture of message board world....women are in the vast minority and I don't think it's because of avatars or pictures. I just think most don't take the time to understand or read them.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Hogtown gator is a woman?

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
The majority of women interact via social media. Most women aren't huge sports fans. This is why sports message boards are predominately male users. Most women that do watch sports don't watch pressers. Even fewer women would take the time to watch a coordinators presser, get on a message board, and comment on it. Just the way I see it, could be wrong.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n66672 said:
Yep but she knows her stuff and knows Muschamp needs to pack his bags.
Oh she's very sharp her being a woman isn't really relevant. I just didn't realize it.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp Queen;n66668 said:
I'm not sure how "it used to be fine to beat your wives or kids with sticks" fits in here. I don't associate avatars with beating wives and kids. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm just not a feminist nor do I take things like pictures personally. Sorry. I guess I'm different.

I think in the big picture of message board world....women are in the vast minority and I don't think it's because of avatars or pictures. I just think most don't take the time to understand or read them.

Swamp Queen, you flow gracefully. Enjoy it.

I grew up in very turbulent times and it affected me . Also my mind sees big pictures, large cultural contexts of events, attitudes. As Monk the tv detective said, It's a gift....and a curse. I see probable long term consequences also. I think it partly the sociology anthropolgist training. but some of it is just how I am. I also happened into several unplanned jobs that put me in contact with circumstances and people's situations that a lot of people don't experience except maybe on a one to one interaction. This meant I also experienced them in a larger cultural or sociological context. It was an eye opener to things I hadn;t known before. What I wrote tied in to your response in my thinking, but it's fine that it didnt seem relevvant. I wasnt equating the avatars with wife beating-i I will clarify that and not try to explain the rest. It was a larger concept your response brought up. I am just wired differently than a lot of people. Football, basketball and sports forums are a welcome diversion and different focus for my mind
:grouphug:

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If avatars are bothering you, just changing your settings so that you can't see them.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Swamp Queen;n66668 said:
"it used to be fine to beat your wives
And then we let ya'll vote. Then that wasn't good enough so we gave ya'll equal opportunity in the workplace. Then that wasn't good enough so we gave ya'll equal pay for doing the same job. Now it appears that isn't good enough....No, now ya'll want to tell us how to run a sports message board......Does it ever stop with you women !!!!
By the way did you ever hear the one about what 250,000 battered women have in common ??? They don't know when to shut the f#ck up....:bwahaha: I kid.....Hogtown, Jenny and you are some of my favorite posters...

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n66771 said:
And then we let ya'll vote. Then that wasn't good enough so we gave ya'll equal opportunity in the workplace. Then that wasn't good enough so we gave ya'll equal pay for doing the same job. Now it appears that isn't good enough....No, now ya'll want to tell us how to run a sports message board......Does it ever stop with you women !!!!
By the way did you ever hear the one about what 250,000 battered women have in common ??? They don't know when to shut the f#ck up....:bwahaha: I kid.....Hogtown, Jenny and you are some of my favorite posters...

How very Jameis of you. Dude, I know you were kidding but joking about domestic violence against women is pushing the envelope a little, don't you think?

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n66777 said:
Why did I ever bring this up? Now alcoholica and G2 are a shell of their former selves.

I totally blame you. Way to screw up the message board, 'avartara.

:wobble:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n66644 said:
I love that idea, especially because it will make Jabber go nuts.

Jabber doesn't post here. He's full time GSMB now. I looked up his posting activity here:

No activity results to display

Hate to disappoint, but he's left us for the enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator