Roper says players don't know where to line up

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Several Roper quotes on twitter state that Driskel gives us the best chance to win because he has to tell players where to line up. Also, Taylor doesn't play because he doesn't know/execute the blocking scheme. Sounds like our coaches are incompetent teachers or our players are just plain stupid and not motivated enough to learn their assignments. Can someone please help me understand?

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not surprised

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
One of the hits on KT last year (why he wan't playing in first half of season) was that he couldn't figure out his blocking assignments, esp. in pass protection. Is he that dumb that he still can't figure it out? One thread here had the list of the 10 or 12 plays that he was on the field Saturday night. He only carried twice, but there was at least one blocking faux pas - I think he blocked into JD, and there were several other plays where he either didn't contribute when not carrying the ball (he didn't the two times he was, either), or was just pretty much a non-factor.

With so many clamoring for him to play, maybe the reason he isn't is that 1.3 seasons in, and he still can't figure out the playbook?

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds like poor coaching to me if true. It's a new playbook, but they should at least know where to line up by now.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n79761 said:
Think Roper has an excellent reputation as a teacher

Look, I'm a professor of IT - I've had students who were eminently teachable, who "got it", and students who, having taken required courses 2x (or, in the case of one this semester, 3x) and still don't get it. I'm sure Roper IS a good teacher. But I bet there are players on this team that just cannot be taught.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
At this point, I'm tired of watching the same sorry product, and seeing the same sorry results. If they can't coach the current players, sit them and play the ones who can be coached. I think the entire program needs an enema at this point. As of now, I'd prefer they just put Treon in there and start playing sandlot football. It'd be more entertaining, and I have a feeling, much more productive on the scoreboard. Hell, there is no way it could be worse that what we saw for most of the tennessee game.

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
SavannahGator;n79771 said:
Look, I'm a professor of IT - I've had students who were eminently teachable, who "got it", and students who, having taken required courses 2x (or, in the case of one this semester, 3x) and still don't get it. I'm sure Roper IS a good teacher. But I bet there are players on this team that just cannot be taught.

Agreed. But, probably no more who can't be taught than any other large group of guys playing football at this level. I don't think we have a special kind of stupid among our players right now. I think this group lacks adequate motivation. I don't know why, but they look and act like guys who are not adequately motivated to accomplish the task at hand.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Hmmmmm. I seem to remember a certain Florida - Georgia game where there was a HUGE rainstorm that was so heavy waves were coming down the steps in the stands. At one point during the game, my favorite all time Gator QB Danny Wuerffel, complained to Steve Spurrier he could not hold on to the ball with this rain. Spurrier reportedly looked at Wuerffel and then pointed at Eric Zeier, the Georgia QB and said, "See him? He doesn't seem to have a problem holding on to the ball." I think most of us remembers what happened after that.

My point? The other teams in the SEC doesn't seem to have problems with their players that not knowing where to line up. If this is true, and I don't know that it is, that would be a H U G E indictment of abject incompetence against this entire coaching staff and especially the head coach. But I'm not sure this is true so I'm not ready to skewer Champer on this until I get more information.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
HogtownGator;n79784 said:
Agreed. But, probably no more who can't be taught than any other large group of guys playing football at this level. I don't think we have a special kind of stupid among our players right now. I think this group lacks adequate motivation. I don't know why, but they look and act like guys who are not adequately motivated to accomplish the task at hand.

After the revolving door at coordinator would you believe this guy is going to stay any longer than the last?

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
SavannahGator;n79771 said:

This.

Roper ain't in Dookie anymore.....

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
No, I don't think Roper will be here next year, but I don't WM will be either. Nothing is functioning well under this HC. It as if no one -- from players to assistants -- knows what the hell they are doing. Only one guy can fix that and he doesn't seem to be able to.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
PaulDrake;n79802 said:
Hmmmmm. I seem to remember a certain Florida - Georgia game where there was a HUGE rainstorm that was so heavy waves were coming down the steps in the stands. At one point during the game, my favorite all time Gator QB Danny Wuerffel, complained to Steve Spurrier he could not hold on to the ball with this rain. Spurrier reportedly looked at Wuerffel and then pointed at Eric Zeier, the Georgia QB and said, "See him? He doesn't seem to have a problem holding on to the ball." I think most of us remembers what happened after that.

My point? The other teams in the SEC doesn't seem to have problems with their players that not knowing where to line up. If this is true, and I don't know that it is, that would be a H U G E indictment of abject incompetence against this entire coaching staff and especially the head coach. But I'm not sure this is true so I'm not ready to skewer Champer on this until I get more information.
So we should get a new coach?

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
By the way, what is with all of the confusion on defensive assignments and alignments that have occurred during games? Again, it appears there is either a training or a learning deficit.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The plug needs to be pulled. Nobody is having fun,not the players or the coaches. It's obvious the players aren't buying into what the coaches are teaching. Hell even muschamps former players are calling for his job.

RebelGator

Founding Member
Banned
Banned
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have no problem believing we have a lot of stupid players.....all you have to do is watch the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator