Roper's playcalling

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
So how do we feel after the first 2 weeks? I see plenty of opinions about Foley, Muschump, Driskel, etc., but not much about Roper.

My personal opinion: so far he's greatly changed our strategy (but not the execution). Our offensive numbers are high for both passing and running, which is what many of us wanted at the start of the year. Some of the play calling is still predictable (it doesn't always have to be a run on 3rd and short), but we are mostly moving it down the field (few 3 and outs).

Any other opinions?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
QueenCityGator;n51265 said:
So how do we feel after the first 2 weeks? I see plenty of opinions about Foley, Muschump, Driskel, etc., but not much about Roper.

My personal opinion: so far he's greatly changed our strategy (but not the execution). Our offensive numbers are high for both passing and running, which is what many of us wanted at the start of the year. Some of the play calling is still predictable (it doesn't always have to be a run on 3rd and short), but we are mostly moving it down the field (few 3 and outs).

Any other opinions?

Yep we are getting a lot of yards with those short passes out to the flats but I don't think that is going to work so good against the better SEC defenses with no effective deep passing game.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Expect to see him befuddle-confuse the defenses more.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I think its much improved and you can tell that he wants to challenge downfield. He has called multiple plays challenging the secondary deep, the problem is that if drizzy is the one throwing it, its way overthrown and uncatchable. After multiple deep calls ending this way, we have had to revert back to the short dink and dunk stuff. If driskel was hitting those deep throws I think the game the other night would have been completely different. Not pinning everything on driskel, but I also think the play calling has been a product of Roper being forced to call short stuff b/c thats all Jeff seems to be able to handle.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I expected to see more guys getting the ball in open space with the ability to make plays. Maybe some of it is Driskel making the wrong read, but I'm not seeing the playmakers getting the ball in space.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n51274 said:
Yep we are getting a lot of yards with those short passes out to the flats but I don't think that is going to work so good against the better SEC defenses with no effective deep passing game.

Deep passes are being called, it's the execution that is killing us. Threw too many in the first half, that were incompletitions.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n51279 said:
I expected to see more guys getting the ball in open space with the ability to make plays. Maybe some of it is Driskel making the wrong read, but I'm not seeing the playmakers getting the ball in space.

You mean farther down the field and in the middle of the field I am assuming.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78 said:
Gator Fever;n51274 said:

Deep passes are being called, it's the execution that is killing us. Threw too many in the first half, that were incompletitions.
Yep I doubt Bama respects it until we burn them deep.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think he's obviously an improvement. If for no other reason than he seems to have gotten the players excited about playing offense again. I'm going to get blasted for saying this, but it's our first year in a new offense. They're not going to be clicking on all cylinders yet. That said, I would like to see some deep shots more often when it's 2nd and short.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I do know that we've attempted more deep passes in two games than we have in three years. I just wish we could complete them.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It's been pretty good, but I'd still like to see some slip screens to the RB's to keep the pass rush honest. His play calling in the red zone greatly improved from last week. Three wide open touchdowns, and a fourth that should have been a touchdown.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Roper's play calling is fine. Some were booing the constant runs, but I think he was taking what the defense was giving AND putting the ball in the hot hands of Jones. I was hoping the runs would set up the pass and although that happened on occasion, it was usually a short pass and the receiver made a play. I saw WRs out running the defender many times and even wide open (2 WRs) in the end zone on the poor throw to Robinson. I think JD needs to improve what's between his ears. I don't think play calling helps that and it actually limits Ropers ability to call more of what he'd like if he trusted his QB more. I try to remember that JD is playing his second game since his injury a year ago. I'm hoping improvements will be seen this week from last.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
G8RNGA;n51303 said:
Roper's play calling is fine. Some were booing the constant runs, but I think he was taking what the defense was giving AND putting the ball in the hot hands of Jones. I was hoping the runs would set up the pass and although that happened on occasion, it was usually a short pass and the receiver made a play. I saw WRs out running the defender many times and even wide open (2 WRs) in the end zone on the poor throw to Robinson. I think JD needs to improve what's between his ears. I don't think play calling helps that and it actually limits Ropers ability to call more of what he'd like if he trusted his QB more. I try to remember that JD is playing his second game since his injury a year ago. I'm hoping improvements will be seen this week from last.

People that boo when we run the ball are morons, especially when the ground game is working as well as it was in this game. Bimbo behind me at the beginning of our possession in the 3rd OT starting screaming, "THAT'S NOT GOING TO WORK!!!" the first time Jones got the carry. Three carries later, touchdown. :rolleyes:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
G8RNGA said:
I hope so also but in reality Driskel will probably play worse as the defenses we face get much better.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n51304 said:
People that boo when we run the ball are morons, especially when the ground game is working as well as it was in this game. Bimbo behind me at the beginning of our possession in the 3rd OT starting screaming, "THAT'S NOT GOING TO WORK!!!" the first time Jones got the carry. Three carries later, touchdown. :rolleyes:

Totally agree! Same around me. It was probably due to the many hours of tailgating with alcohol consumption and the heat! Yeah, that's what I'm going with! :)

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yep I thought it was smart to start pounding KY when we did. We probably lose the game if we didn't go that route.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
Yep I thought it was smart to start pounding KY when we did. We probably lose the game if we didn't go that route.
I do wish that we could have been a little more up tempo than we were - especially because we were pounding them.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n51308 said:

So you agree that giving the ball to Jones repeatedly was a good idea?

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator said:
Gator Fever;n51308 said:

So you agree that giving the ball to Jones repeatedly was a good idea?
They should have ran Taylor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.